Vista and XP.. switching between them.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Hi, i have a little question here. I just bought a 8800 gtx card, and i want to fully utilize it for dx10, so im going to install Vista 32 bits. I already have Xp pro installed, so question is.. how do i install Vista properly so i can both boot up with XP and Vista? I have 3 hdd´s, one with operating system, one cramped with "stuff" and last one is practically empty. If i now install Vista, will i be able to access my other HDD´s in vista whic i got rest of my stuff on for example ?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Where you've got XP installed, do you have a spare partition? Since you could just install Vista on that one aswell.

You'd still be able to access other drives like you do normally.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Where you've got XP installed, do you have a spare partition? Since you could just install Vista on that one aswell.

You'd still be able to access other drives like you do normally.

Yeah, got a spare partition. So lets say i install Vista on that partition. When booting up, do i get to choose whic system i want to boot ?

Kryten

Old Cow.
yeah, Vista installs a little something (Bootloader) on the main drive (which is where your XP installation is) and will automatically add XP to the menu so you can choose on startup which you want to use.

But as per my sticky, do be careful when swapping files between the two, the file system is ever so slightly different and can cause corruption if you're not careful. Check out my sticky for a bit more detail on that, but this shouldn't effect you too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom