Vista (Again)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just a niggling issue thats worrying me.

Say you purchase Windows Vista Home Premium for your current 32 bit system.
2 months later, you change the gubbins of your box with a spangly new Core 2 Duo system.

Would you have to pay for the 64bit version of Vista all over again? Or is there some form of upgrade path anyone knows about.

Can't find this information anywhere via MS or google :/

Chilly

Balls of steel
Do they actually ship a 32 bit version at all? I would assume the worst from MS tbh.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not 100% sure with the Vista editions, but I don't recall seeing ‘64-bit Edition’ listed anywhere among the 7 variants. As such, I'm inclined to wonder if the 64-bit extensions are now just an optional part of the package, installed as required.

If not — or in any other upgrade situation — Microsoft how allow you to upgrade your license over the internet, with all the data for all the different editions being provided on the same DVD. So as I understand it, you can start with Shite Edition (I mean, Home Basic), log into Microsoft, pay them £x hundred, put your DVD in and have your system upgraded to Ultimate before your eyes.

Whether it ever really works like that is anyone's guess, though.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'm fully aware of the different versions, what's included on each, upgrade paths etc - just this particular issue is not one mentioned anywhere. Not even getting any reply from Technet's forum regulars.

Each version comes in a 32bit (x86) or 64bit version, apparently one won't work on the other. I'm currently using an MSDN DVD installation of it - which handily has pretty much every version of it in one place, but this isn't the case on the DVD's you'll buy off the shelf.

I wouldn't expect something for free - however I, and most other Windows users would expect to be able to upgrade a PC and not have to buy a whole new OS for it. That, in anyone's eyes, is pure profiteering. And, hence my question in the first place :D

soze

I am a FH squatter
Vista ships x86 and 64 bit x86 runs on my core2duo fine but i think if you get a 64 bit processor you will need the 64 bit version

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Kryten said:
I'm fully aware of the different versions, what's included on each, upgrade paths etc - just this particular issue is not one mentioned anywhere. Not even getting any reply from Technet's forum regulars.

Each version comes in a 32bit (x86) or 64bit version, apparently one won't work on the other. I'm currently using an MSDN DVD installation of it - which handily has pretty much every version of it in one place, but this isn't the case on the DVD's you'll buy off the shelf.

I wouldn't expect something for free - however I, and most other Windows users would expect to be able to upgrade a PC and not have to buy a whole new OS for it. That, in anyone's eyes, is pure profiteering. And, hence my question in the first place :D

I don't know for certain, but it's pretty obvious you'll have to pay for the 64-bit version. If you wanted to keep using your 32-bit version then you could without paying anything ...

Kryten

Old Cow.
Sort of, Sheepcow.

Been looking a bit more into it.

It would appear that the Windows Vista OverPriced Shop Shelf Editions (i.e. anything in a box and costing in excess of £150 for just that privilidge) contains both versions.

The OEM versions, however, are not - they are specificaly for either 32 or 64 bit systems.

So, if you buy a PC with an OEM Vista installed, you'd still need to buy a new one should you need 64 bitability (ooh, thats a nice word). Ouch. As you would if you purchase an OEM copy with a new hard drive, or other non peripheral hardware :D

Bear that in mind if you're buying the cheap OEM version from Overclockers/Ebuyer or anywhere.

PS : Its also worth noting that many people are still under the impression that OEM versions are locked to the computer they are installed on - once activated, locked to your motherboard device ID's - MS have long changed their minds with this, thankfully, and this is not the case.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Overclockers didnt even make me buy some hardware with the OEM version :|

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The way prices are currently it's looking increasingly worth it to get the US Retail releases, as they are about the same price as the UK OEM ones. Crazy eh?!

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
Does anyone know anything about the legalities/issues with buying computer parts/software from the US and having it shipped here?

Do you have to pay VAT once it arrives here?

I was thinking of buying all my next upgrades computer parts (Apart from PSU, obviously) from the US and having it imported. It costs about half as much! A graphics card for £250 here costs $250 in the US.. which works out at £130. With shipping it'd probably add 10-15% to the price but would still be huge saving.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Add ~9% import duty, and 17.5% VAT, plus the silly charges the delivery company will charge for 'dealing' with this.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
inactionman said:
Add ~9% import duty, and 17.5% VAT, plus the silly charges the delivery company will charge for 'dealing' with this.
And then cry like little baby jasus when it breaks and you have no warranty cover :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
True most things in the states are only sold with 90 day warranty, and it won't apply over here.

soze

I am a FH squatter
TheJkWhoSaysNi said:
Does anyone know anything about the legalities/issues with buying computer parts/software from the US and having it shipped here?

Do you have to pay VAT once it arrives here?

I was thinking of buying all my next upgrades computer parts (Apart from PSU, obviously) from the US and having it imported. It costs about half as much! A graphics card for £250 here costs $250 in the US.. which works out at £130. With shipping it'd probably add 10-15% to the price but would still be huge saving.
The VAT thing is pot luck customs do not put vat on everything that passes but you can get unlucky and get hit for 17.5%. I got lucky My $400 pda made it with no vat the spare battery and case at $50 got hit for it and they were both shipped at the same time to like i say i think its pot luck.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Don´t bother with the 64 bits version, its not very compatible with things yet. Oh, and why wouldn´t an 64 bits processor work with x86? As a 64 bits processor works with Windows xp, whic is not x64...

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Very soon it will be fine, it's a requirement of the new driver signing process that a 32bit driver will only be approved if there's also a 64bit driver. MS learned from the poor support manufacturers gave to xp 64.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom