Question Visit sweden?!

Tilda

Howdy all,

I know we have a few nordic (does this cover swedish people too?) folk around and so wanted to ask a few questions!

My girlfriend is going to be doing a year abroad soon in sweden and I'm hoping to go out and see her.

If I was there for a week or less at a time, what things are good to see?

From the tourist website and general knowledge I think I want to go up north with her and see the aurora borealis, some skiing, some trekking in the parks.

I'm guessing you have to visit in the summer to see the aurora? or is it around in the wintersun too? Best time of year to ski? is it simply too cold in the winter?
What about trekking, is that realistic? does it need the summer?

Other than that I dont know much.
Help me please?!

Tild

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
It's fucking big. It's also mainly flat with a lot of trees and lakes. The mosquitoes are evil.

Tilda

Hi Everz!
Are you in chelters? I am in Gloucester right now!

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
For the Aurora Borealis the rule usually is the higher you go the higher the chance you will be able to see it. The winter is the best time for it btw.

Phooka just got back from Sweden and he says that even the Swedes are saying its cold this year/season.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Well yeah, it's the coldest winter since the 1770s apparently. For skiing I think early spring is the best time, just before the snow starts to melt. I don't ski myself so I have no real idea, but thats around the time everyone seems to be taking vacation to do it.

Wandering around up north is done during the summer though. Walking in snow is a pain in the ass, and riding a snowmobile isn't exactly walking.

You have it right though, when it comes to being outside upnorth is where you should go(unless you really enjoy endless pine forests).

Ormorof

FH is my second home
tingeling tingeling, swedes are crraaaaazy, where in Sweden? (its a big ol' place) I was in Stockholm last summer for first time very nice city :)

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
guyz i have heard sweden is a quite expensive country.

That's correct ?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
yep, all Nordics are pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for i guess, reasonably high quality most of the time ;)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Howdy all,

I know we have a few nordic (does this cover swedish people too?) folk around and so wanted to ask a few questions!

My girlfriend is going to be doing a year abroad soon in sweden and I'm hoping to go out and see her.

If I was there for a week or less at a time, what things are good to see?

From the tourist website and general knowledge I think I want to go up north with her and see the aurora borealis, some skiing, some trekking in the parks.

I'm guessing you have to visit in the summer to see the aurora? or is it around in the wintersun too? Best time of year to ski? is it simply too cold in the winter?
What about trekking, is that realistic? does it need the summer?

Other than that I dont know much.
Help me please?!

Tild

Remember its big :) If she studies in the south going to the north ain't a fast move!

Skiing during autumn-spring. Snow melts in late spring you know! After the snow melts trekking becomes better up north (afaik). The weather can change in an instant tho up north so need good gear.

Where is she gonna study?

Tilda

Cheers guys, yeah I heard there are flights to get up north?
She's studying near Stockholm so will be flying in there anyway.

Anything else worth seeing/checking out? Nice places, cool stuff etc?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Uppsala Uni (i have no idea how to spell it, a common theme in my life :( ) is supposed to be a great sight (and if that is where she is going, good for her ;) )

other than that Stockholm is full of big ol' buildings and stuff you would expect from an old monarchy (not as old as Denmarks though, ner ner ner ner)

other than that i guess it depends on what you are into, i am a history buff so was intrigued to see the palaces and shiz, but if that doesnt float your boat i imagine theres lots of other things to do, maybe watch some ice hockey? :)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Uppsala is fairly cool, and by all accounts the university is excellent. It's also probably the biggest student town in the country, which can be both annoying or nice depending on if you're a student or not.

As for scenic stuff there I'd recommend doing a quick visit to the church at least(can't miss it since it towers over the entire city). It's fairly impressive in my opinion, though you might not agree if you've been to the big cathedrals in the UK since they dwarf it.

The university itself would take a bit of travelling to see since it's spread out over the entire city as they've expanded it over the years, but I guess the library at least is worth a look?

Stockholm has alot more touristy stuff, worth noting amongst them I guess is the Vasa ship museum, I guess a walk in the old town might be cool. The castle is very unimpressive though imo, and not even that old, since the previous one burned down 300 years ago or so.

Helme

Resident Freddy
And we visit Denmark :p

The scandinavian alcohol triangle.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Cheers guys, yeah I heard there are flights to get up north?
She's studying near Stockholm so will be flying in there anyway.

Anything else worth seeing/checking out? Nice places, cool stuff etc?

There are flights yea, but flights within Sweden are fairly expensive I think. Although that might have changed in recent years :p

Helme

Resident Freddy
I would suggest trains, great way to see some pine trees and they are fairly reliable despite our difficult weather.

You can take Upptåget from Arlanda Airport to Uppsala, I think theres one every hour and if you want you can continue going to the center of civilization - Tierp. Here you'll find such magnificent sights such as the countries manhole cover manufacturing plant and a derelict mini golf course. We've also recently been voted "One of the ugliest city in the country".

Not something you'll want to miss.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
:eek:

And Tilda is probably the last guy/girl I'd have visit me ::adminpower:

You have 2 choices. You can keep QQing about being Danish not swedish like a big girl or

You can face your swedish heritage and be embraced by the forum

The choice is yours.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
and Danes go to germany, germans go to Italy/Poland, where is the end of the great "cheaper booze run"?!?!

Twoeye

Can't get enough of FH
and Danes go to germany, germans go to Italy/Poland,where is the end of the great "cheaper booze run"?!?!

Some ppl say " in my cellar " :p And about coming to Sweden now, this winter, dont do it, it IS cold.
I usualy ends up in my freezer after i'v been out just to gain some heat again :m00:

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
germans go to Italy/Poland, where is the end of the great "cheaper booze run"?!?!

Not sure where you got that from, but it´s definitely wrong.

@Tilda: whatever you do in Sweden... avoid the fish!

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Tilda: Where excactly is she studying? Uppsala? Thats a great little place to just hang-around at... As people have said, trekking is usally done around summertime... Get good gear, and be fucking wary of the mosquitoes. The area around Kebnekaise Forum is great. Kebnekaise is our biggest mountain.

However, id suggest just kicking around in Stockholm, or Uppsala aswell. If you're here during the summer, check out the archipelago. Vaxholm (where I stay) is a great place during the summer, especially if you take the Vaxholm boat (a archipelago boatsystem, going from Stockholm to all islands around Stockholm archipelago).¨

Give me a shout if you want any help in terms of nightclubs, restaurants, caffe's etc around Stockholm.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Uppsala is fairly cool, and by all accounts the university is excellent. It's also probably the biggest student town in the country, which can be both annoying or nice depending on if you're a student or not.

As for scenic stuff there I'd recommend doing a quick visit to the church at least(can't miss it since it towers over the entire city). It's fairly impressive in my opinion, though you might not agree if you've been to the big cathedrals in the UK since they dwarf it.

The university itself would take a bit of travelling to see since it's spread out over the entire city as they've expanded it over the years, but I guess the library at least is worth a look?

Stockholm has alot more touristy stuff, worth noting amongst them I guess is the Vasa ship museum, I guess a walk in the old town might be cool. The castle is very unimpressive though imo, and not even that old, since the previous one burned down 300 years ago or so.

The Vasa Shit Museum is shit!!! Such a bore. Fotografiska museum is great thought, Startpage - Fotografiska - A meeting point for contemporary photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom