Viruses

S

(Shovel)

It does sound like there's some iffy goings on with all of this.

All I will say Mank, is stick with it. Once you get a fully functional system again Norton is a beast :) I run 2002, the mail scanner is top, and the pre-emptive virus detection works wonders.

Example: In IE, browse web, popup with slightly dodgy content appears. It contains a virii infected JavaScript file. Norton goes ape and kills the bast. I get a nice Red pop up to say "Dealt with that for you".

Better still, at uni some fucker delibrately put Virii in his netware shared folder, so as I'm inquisitively browsing around I open his shares and Norton blows up again, tells me the file name and then hides it in Explorer. No Virus for me :)

The way it is sounding I really would recommend a reformat.

Install Windows first, then NAV, then firewall. Only after NAV is on and fully updated do you restore your personal files. Once you've done that, anything lurking in those files will get flushed and you'll be able to build up safely.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by (Shovel)
Install Windows first, then NAV, then firewall. Only after NAV is on and fully updated do you restore your personal files. Once you've done that, anything lurking in those files will get flushed and you'll be able to build up safely.
Sounds like a very good idea, all things considered :) Shame Longhorn isn't around. Apparently it takes a mere 10-15 minutes to install the whole operating system from scratch :D

Kind Regards

M

mank!

Cheers again guys, I'm going to format and install windows again, I managed to do it in about 2 hours on Saturday night so I'll see if I can beat that record :p

It'll also give me the opportunity to install a firewall from scratch, instead of not running one.

J

Jonty

TdC's Body Slave, eh? Hmm. Perhaps I won't join you as a Tibetan monk after all :p As for reinstalling everything, (Shovel)'s approach sounds spot. If the version of NAV you're using doesn't come with a firewall (there are that many bundles nowadays it's hard to keep up :)) then ZoneAlarm is a good, free alternative. If you search these forums, though, you can also find references to many other good, free, firewalls.

Kind Regards

S

(Shovel)

Firewall wise: If you want easy and quiet, then ZoneAlarm is top. If you fancy being a control freak with rules for individual applications and protocols etc. then give Outpost 1.0 a look.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

They plug the Paid For Version 2, but it's on there :)

J

Jonty

Cool link (Shovel), I hadn't come across that app. before, but I might give it a try now :D I presume you use it?

Kind Regards

M

mookie

uhh...

christ i wandered in here and i thought i stumbled on some secret mank and jonty gay love thread.

back to the topic... NAV2003 is the dogs bollocks, as long as you keep it up to date which isnt too hard coz it does it itself, although it *is* on mank's machine :)
Outpost too is a very good little firewall, the most useful feature i thought second to the STOP LITTLE HACKING TWATS thing is the way it lets you see all current connections your pc, where theyre coming from and the ability to kill them. top stuff!

S

(Shovel)

Aye, ZoneAlarm taking out the data transfer counter also miffed me, and Outpost tells how much each individual connection has :)

It is, frankly, the bollocks :)

J

Jonty

As much as I like mank!, I don't love him :p As for Outpost, do use the free version or the pro version, guys?

Kind Regards

S

(Shovel)

Aye, ZoneAlarm taking out the data transfer counter also miffed me, and Outpost tells how much each individual connection has :)

It is, frankly, the bollocks :)

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by Jonty
As much as I like mank!, I don't love him :p As for Outpost, do use the free version or the pro version, guys?

Kind Regards

Free.

S

(Shovel)

I do, however, run ZoneAlarm on the family machine, since the ease of use is infinitely preferable for non computery peeps.

M

mank!

Hooray. Reformatted, reinstalled and got all my programs running away happily in about 2 hours. I've got ZoneAlarm and NAV running fine now, and I've killed off the viruses.

I love you all. :D

J

Jonty

Originally posted by mank!
I love you all. :D
Especially TdC ;) teeheehee. Glad everything is (touch wood) sorted for you.

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom