Virus Alert Information: Request for people to read from Kemor.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
The information was NOT just released, and the virus in question is NOT a serious threat to anything.

This refers to a hacked version of the Mydoom virus (called Novarg by some Anti-Virus companies). The original version was designed to perform a DOS attack against www.sco.com - which youll notice is no longer accessible to prevent it from causing any problems. (The site is temporarily accessible at www.thescogroup.com until this virus deacticvates itself in roughly 2 weeks time)

A modified version of this was submitted to various anti-virus companies which had the address it should attack changed from www.sco.com to www.microsoft.com - HOWEVER this has NOT spread in any significant numbers at all (see the LOW risk rating given to MyDoom/B by every major anti-virus company - for example NAI ) Basically this means its never been seen outside of an anti-virus company network.

GOA are reading a VERY poor piece of journalism - no doubt over stating the threat to bring more traffic to a very poor website - and reporting it as fact. It is infact utter garbage.

Of course this couldnt just be GOA clutching at straws to use any possible excuse for server difficulties tomorrow could it? Na, we know they never do anything like that :eek:

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
$250,000 dollar rewards for info leading to whoever made it!? Coolie - i'm gonna start pointing fingers. I think Kalba did it, givf teh money fortehwin :D

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
GOA are reading a VERY poor piece of journalism - no doubt over stating the threat to bring more traffic to a very poor website - and reporting it as fact. It is infact utter garbage.

the piece of info goa is referring to says the same thing as you do actually, anyway the nai site is updated on 2nd of feb (which is recently), so the microsoft part might actually be new to people.
And nobody really knows what will happen tomorrow, but most likely nothing and yes GOA shouldnt have made such a huge fuss about it. However giving people a heads up on a possible problem is nice.

Skeggi

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
$250,000 dollar rewards for info leading to whoever made it!? Coolie - i'm gonna start pointing fingers. I think Kalba did it, givf teh money fortehwin :D

I'll say he did it for 10%

Kemor

[GOA] English Servers GM
Best way to fight against a virus is to have as many people using internet aware of it and knowing how to protect from it. This can be done by giving warnings and spreading the information as much as possible.

If nothing happens, great!
But if something do happen and that by warning thousands of Dark Age of Camelot players (a lot of them leaving their computers turned on day and night and downloading many files left and right) you can lower the repercussions, then I think it's worth a small news...

As for the excuse...at 1am in the morning of the patch day?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Kemor said:
Best way to fight against a virus is to have as many people using internet aware of it and knowing how to protect from it. This can be done by giving warnings and spreading the information as much as possible.
Heh. The ONLY way is with anti-virus software thats regularly updated. Updates to cover this virus have been available since before the weekend - all auto-updating anti-virus software will have picked these up long ago.

Its impossible to watch TV or radio news without hearing about this virus in the last week, never mind the coverage all over the internet. For GOA to post it - especially at this time of day - is a total overreaction based on a badly flawed article. If you - or whoever updated the GOA page - had read the article properly and understood the sections from the 'expert' quoted youd never have posted this.

Its almost impossible to get comment from GOA when there are server problems, yet you manage to post this which will serve only to scare those not understanding the issues properly into thinking theres a genuine risk/problem.

As for the excuse...at 1am in the morning of the patch day?
Could it be - a Frenchman failing to spot sarcasm? Na, that never happens :p

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Ok, it seems GOA have changed the news story they posted last night.

The new version is, unbelievably, even worse than the original.

Yes, Microsoft made a new IE6 update available last night. This is completely unrelated to the MyDoom virus this article was previously talking about.

The IE6 update fixes a bug widely known & exploited since late last year that allows URLs to be disguised in webpages, emails, etc. Its widely used in spam mails to make it seem as if your accessing a well known site (Microsoft, Paypal, Ebay, banks, etc) when infact your accessing a site set up specifically to fool you into revealing personal information: Name, credit card details, etc

The various IFs added to GOAs posting are a definite improvement, but 1 more update would help alot Kemor - if your reading ;)

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Draylor said:
The information was NOT just released, and the virus in question is NOT a serious threat to anything.

This refers to a hacked version of the Mydoom virus (called Novarg by some Anti-Virus companies). The original version was designed to perform a DOS attack against www.sco.com - which youll notice is no longer accessible to prevent it from causing any problems. (The site is temporarily accessible at www.thescogroup.com until this virus deacticvates itself in roughly 2 weeks time)

A modified version of this was submitted to various anti-virus companies which had the address it should attack changed from www.sco.com to www.microsoft.com - HOWEVER this has NOT spread in any significant numbers at all (see the LOW risk rating given to MyDoom/B by every major anti-virus company - for example NAI ) Basically this means its never been seen outside of an anti-virus company network.

Of course this couldnt just be GOA clutching at straws to use any possible excuse for server difficulties tomorrow could it? Na, we know they never do anything like that :eek:

Dude, I may disagree with the way GOA handles things sometimes, but you are waaay over the top. I recommend you a few bananas, it'll increase your serotonin, will make you happier.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
old.Osy said:
Dude, I may disagree with the way GOA handles things sometimes, but you are waaay over the top. I recommend you a few bananas, it'll increase your serotonin, will make you happier.
Well - its now well after this virus was scheduled to begin it DOS attacks.

Guess what: everything I wrote was correct - and this thread at least convinced GOA to edit their original posting into something much closer to the truth.

And Brannor - after 2 years your constant refusal to accept GOA could ever make a mistake is getting REALLY tiresome. If youve nothing constructive to add give it a break already.

Brannor McThife

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
...after 2 years your constant refusal to accept GOA could ever make a mistake...
Now there my friend, you are indeed quite wrong. But don't let me alter that view.

For those that want a hint... Events...

-G

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Draylor said:
If youve nothing constructive to add give it a break already.

I love a nice drop of irony :D

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Brannor McThife said:
Jup...that Avatar is just... WRONG.

-G

Ungoogled, genuine moment from my trip to a zoo in France... I needed some inspiration for a new avatar and that's the result of checking my photos on my laptop here at work :)

punchy

Fledgling Freddie
I just read about a virus that kicks your ass, sleeps with your gf and puts a brick through your monitor while stealing all your money! Quick turn off teh internet!!!!!1

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom