Virgin customers

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Question about that actually. Is there any way to hide that what you're doing is p2p? Aside from programs like Peer Guardian which I've been told is crap. Seems to me that if I can fool BT into thinking that what I'm downloading isn't p2p it won't be throttled since direct downloads aren't affected. Maybe route all p2p traffic through that port?

Peer guardian / Peerblock isn't crap, it just doesn't do what you think it does. It simply blocks you from connecting to peer's that are blacklisted as being moles for the industry.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I'd personally avoid them as well, but if you want more than 40Mbit/s, or your old ADSL connection is just too far from the exchange for a decent connection - it's the only option (if it's available).

The only other thing is that FTTC connections are still fairly new, I'd personally wait for one of the LLU providers to offer some nice high bandwidth minimum throttling option. At the moment all we've got are ISPs which are reselling a BT service - hence the rather poor monthly download limits on most of the packages.

But for users who are stuck with ADSL1 speeds, they probably don't care - anything is an improvement.

aye i'm on 24mb down 800kb/s up atm, speeds are basically 1600-1900kb/s download, 100-102kb/s upload :<

Edit: the download used to be quicker at our old place, had upto 3.1mb/s there it was much closer to the exchange tho.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
aye i'm on 24mb down 800kb/s up atm, speeds are basically 1600-1900kb/s download, 100-102kb/s upload :<

I assume you're referring to kilobytes and not bits there? If so then that isn't too bad in my opinion.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Peer guardian / Peerblock isn't crap, it just doesn't do what you think it does. It simply blocks you from connecting to peer's that are blacklisted as being moles for the industry.

usenet not torrents TBH

then use SSL and they cant tell what the traffic is

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Question about that actually. Is there any way to hide that what you're doing is p2p? Aside from programs like Peer Guardian which I've been told is crap. Seems to me that if I can fool BT into thinking that what I'm downloading isn't p2p it won't be throttled since direct downloads aren't affected. Maybe route all p2p traffic through that port?
If we're talking Torrents, random ports cycled regularly and using full encryption.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Well, just called Virgin to get my TV package downgraded to save some cash, since I don't really use it.

Eventually got put through to customer relations (an english guy even!). 10 minutes later I'm keeping my TV package, getting my broadband upgraded to 30mb (for free, usually £40 installation apparently) and getting a phone line added AND saving a tenner a month.

So can't complain really

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
For the internet I think Virgin cable is the best of all the major companies. I'm on the 50Mbit package, which I'll be bumping upto 100 when they roll out in my area, and can't complain at all. I really do get 50Mbit unlike "20Mbit ADSL" which actually downloads at 4.

The TV and phone side, not so good. Sky & BT have much better packages (SKY+ / Sports etc) and call rates.

The only problem with Virgin is that between 9am and 9pm you're on a download quota of X GB (depending on the package you have) and as soon as you hit that limit you're throttled like a bitch, especially during peak 6-9pm. But if you can keep all your big downloads until after 9pm you can download as much as you like completely uncapped.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
For the internet I think Virgin cable is the best of all the major companies. I'm on the 50Mbit package, which I'll be bumping upto 100 when they roll out in my area, and can't complain at all. I really do get 50Mbit unlike "20Mbit ADSL" which actually downloads at 4.

The TV and phone side, not so good. Sky & BT have much better packages (SKY+ / Sports etc) and call rates.

The only problem with Virgin is that between 9am and 9pm you're on a download quota of X GB (depending on the package you have) and as soon as you hit that limit you're throttled like a bitch, especially during peak 6-9pm. But if you can keep all your big downloads until after 9pm you can download as much as you like completely uncapped.
50meg is quota on upload not download

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
50meg is quota on upload not download

There's definitely a download quota, I should know after receiving several warning letters after downloading some Steam games during that day :D

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I am waiting for BT to roll out FTTC in my area and then waiting for SKY to re sell it. They are the only people I am aware off who do not over sell the Network BT and Virgin both slow down during peak times for me. But SKY is a constant 20MB.

BT Infinity is a bloody great product, no problems whatsoever here and am getting brilliant upload and download speeds.

Trying to find out what the FUP is for BT Infinity but i'm having trouble finding it oO looking on the forums all I find is jibberish from people all claiming different caps... anyone know what it is? the most credible one i've found so far is "300gb a month during peak hours"

The download cap has gone for Option 2 customers. They will still traffic shape but that doesn't apply to me, I grab stuff in London then FTP/S down to my house so no P2P ever appears on my line :)

Careful of BT Infinity if you use VPNs at all. Their new Cisco-based boxes cock up royally and all BT will say to you is that its working fine, nay luck, upgrade to business broadband. Note they don't actually guarantee to fix it, they just tell you to upgrade :D

What the hell are you on? They do not use Cisco boxes, the modem is actually Huawei and the router is most definately not Cisco. Christ no ISP could afford to give away Cisco equipment for free unless it was a Linksys.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
There's definitely a download quota, I should know after receiving several warning letters after downloading some Steam games during that day :D

Customers with Broadband size: XXL (50Mb) – your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high.

taken from

Traffic Management | Virgin Media Help & Support - Virgin Media Shop

No download for 50Mb package

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom