Videoconferencing type stuff...

W

Wij

I've just set up my friend's PC and laptop to talk to each other via wireless networkeeeee. His house is just opposite his shop and he can get a ping across the road beween them. He also has two cheap webcams from Argos. What he'd like is some software so he could do videoconf type gubbins to his missus over the LAN.

Any ideas or links ?

Cheerz0rz !

S

(Shovel)

Try Netmeeting. Assuming your friend is running XP you'll find that it's hidden somewhere in the depths of the system and you'll actually have to make some effort to enable it.
Follow the simple installation guide in this KB article.

One word of warning, I found NetMeeting to be horrid on my XP system to the end that I did not enable it in my recent reinstall, but that may just be my configuration. It's traditionally always been competant software, so give it a try. I just found it caused conflicts with Windows Messenger and I think it had issues with my sound setup that caused system freezes of a couple of minutes. You should find that it's fine though.

Failing that, Windows/MSN Messenger will do voice and video, albeit requiring an Internet login first. I think NetMeeting can be run just on a local network - though I'm not promising, I have vague memories of some kind of directory - I don't think that is prerequesit though.

W

Will

Netmeeting (conf.exe on 2k, may be the same on XP) caused me constant BSoDs. You can run it without the directory listing though. Give that a go if you want cheap and cheerful, then look for something else if it causes hassle.

W

Wij

Originally posted by (Shovel)
Try Netmeeting. Assuming your friend is running XP you'll find that it's hidden somewhere in the depths of the system and you'll actually have to make some effort to enable it.
Follow the simple installation guide in this KB article.

One word of warning, I found NetMeeting to be horrid on my XP system to the end that I did not enable it in my recent reinstall, but that may just be my configuration. It's traditionally always been competant software, so give it a try. I just found it caused conflicts with Windows Messenger and I think it had issues with my sound setup that caused system freezes of a couple of minutes. You should find that it's fine though.

Failing that, Windows/MSN Messenger will do voice and video, albeit requiring an Internet login first. I think NetMeeting can be run just on a local network - though I'm not promising, I have vague memories of some kind of directory - I don't think that is prerequesit though.

Um - that link doesn't work. Any hints someone ?

X

Xavier

as the guys have already said:

start-> run -> conf.exe

and it will fire up - disable all the online schtuff and it'll be up and running :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom