Very strange mouse problem

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I really dont know how to explain this best, but my mouse keeps going weird!

The cursor will disappear from the screen then when you move the mouse it will act weirdly! Left/right movement changes to back/forward in IE. and you cant do much. Upon reboot it's find again until it happens some random interval afterwards.

Any ideas?

The mouse is a Trust AMI Mouse dual scroll 300. Wired, ball mouse. Plugged into the ps/2 port.

Settings are:

200 reports/second.
input buffer: 300.

It just started happening tonight.:confused:

S

(Shovel)

200 reports/sec? I assume that means refresh rate. Try lowering that. I remember the days of PS2Rate where you could bump up the refresh rate somewhat to improve smoothness. I do seem to recall some side effects, so maybe trying that a little lower might be worth a shot?

However, the IE thing sounds *very* odd indeed. As if something is messing with the button presses or something.
You don't have any form of mouse gesturing software installed do you?

Anything else been installed, any updates applied?

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

It's been on 200 reports/sec for ages.

Buttons 4 and 5 are set to IE Back/forward. Maybe that's where it's getting that from.. It's using the drivers that came with the mouse and a program which also came with it to allow you to bind buttons 4 and 5.

S

(Shovel)

Might be worth checking for new drivers, and a new version of that binding program.

If that's not available, then try removing the extra software and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then reinstall that from scratch.

If it still carries on, remove the custom drivers and run on Windows defaults for a while. If it *still* happens, then it's worth checking the virii/spyware avenue.

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

hmm, i'll try that.

Only other thing i can think of is that there was a USB mouse installed on it a few weeks ago. Could that effect it? I dont see it in device manager.. but that doesnt mean the drivers arnt still on the computer.

S

(Shovel)

If you installed custom drivers for it then it's worth uninstalling them properly yes. I can't understand why it would make a difference now and not two weeks ago, but heck, it's a good bit of housekeeping all the same.

C

Ch3tan

Accept the sign! Buy a decent optical mouse.

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I have an optical mouse, this problem is on the family PC :p

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

hmm, using the ball mouse in my PC, i can see that the mouse is fine (I've been using it for 2 hours now and it's ok!) my optical one in the USB port of the family computer is fine. I'll try it in PS/2. I was going to but my mum just wanted something that was going to work, so i'll change it later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom