Verdict: Balance is boring

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
Often people in online games cry about things that are imbalanced or overpowered. Wether it be a spell, a character class or an item that seems to throw the scales one way can be boring, but often a good player can work around the problem.

My point is that actually games that are extremely balanced lack effective hard-counters, as the balance is often achieved by weaking things, instead of making strong countermoves to strong strategies.

Example:

Pbaoe damage that enchanters/elditches did was ridiculous at times, but a single shaman with aoe root + disease could interrupt the casts of a whole group: Unless it was again countered by Moc which could be countered by insane dmg savages running in and out of a box/amnesia spam by 2 healers. This kind of counter-recounter-rerecounter could go on and on as valid strategies existed.

Now that I brought up the subject of RA's people often moaned and cried about GP, MoC, Baod, BoF etc. but often they were seen rather as tools that were meant for what they were for - Countering strategies that enemies would use.

These strong abilities - which had long cooldowns - made massive tidal waves as they turned tides of group and zergfights alike, thus creating an environment where co-operation and timing could create massive success. Strategic and tactical initiative was far more important than the ability to spam buttons. Also as dying and feeding rps was highly frustrating, true camaradery was born in between those that succeeded, creating trust and friendship.

Final point:

Balance is boring, giving all sides overpowered abilities - and hard counters - is fun.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Can tell you played Mid :)

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
Hi mumin troll! And the others!

Its so fun to create a monologue thread.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
But grapple was an ability without any counter.. same for asd.

Both did "nothing" to actually kill the oppoents, but are quite overpowered.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
use CB, drop twf3, grapple and lol your way to victory

Oh how great that was :D

Marc

FH is my second home
Ive often thought about this and I think it was one of the things that made DAoC what it was.

These days, every "side" has an exact same mirror class and its tre-boring.

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
True, there were some ridiculous things(like asd and grapple) but that's just looking at my point in a very biased way, my point is exactly like the poster above said:

"It's better to have imbalance than have mirroring classes"

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Agree!:)

The problem is just making it all stick on several different levels!:)
Getting what is even powers/countermeasures in fg fights to still be even in zerg and after that still be even in smallgroup and solo fights is a very thin line to tread!:)

But in my opinion Mythic has dont that very well over the years. Ofc there have been things that are way overpowered in one instance and almost useless in another. But still they have kept it at an acceptable level in my opinion.

Anyway can only agree...the differences are what makes Daoc fun and the likenesses is what makes Warhammer/Warcraft boring.

/charmangle

Lookdaddy

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive often thought about this and I think it was one of the things that made DAoC what it was.

These days, every "side" has an exact same mirror class and its tre-boring.

Couldnt agree more marc! Which is why games like WoW and WAR's PvP grows old fast imho!

And LOL septina, just noticed your sig, my toons are in the same WoW guild as you! :p

Septina

Part of the furniture
Couldnt agree more marc! Which is why games like WoW and WAR's PvP grows old fast imho!

And LOL septina, just noticed your sig, my toons are in the same WoW guild as you! :p

What? :O Really?! Names, i demand names!!!

Lookdaddy

One of Freddy's beloved
LOL, have a 80 mage called lookmummy and a 70 ish druid called stickcrack, not played for quite a while tho.

Just checked wow armoury, seems i am unguilded, must've been kicked due to inactivity :p

Tell cass i said hes a c**t nxt time you log on :p

Septina

Part of the furniture
LOL, have a 80 mage called lookmummy and a 70 ish druid called stickcrack, not played for quite a while tho.

Just checked wow armoury, seems i am unguilded, must've been kicked due to inactivity :p

Tell cass i said hes a c**t nxt time you log on :p

Haha, will do xD

Zede

Part of the furniture
quad hitting savages, 1st year of warlocks, insane tic monster rez etc.. all very much planned by mythic to "spice things up"

nothing beats 4 x reavers during i think it was patch 1.32 though :p

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
quad hitting savages, 1st year of warlocks, insane tic monster rez etc.. all very much planned by mythic to "spice things up"

nothing beats 4 x reavers during i think it was patch 1.32 though :p

:D

Wasnt that some totally sick combo? With Banelords and the aoe lifedrain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom