Ventrilo love/hate

Tverrmod

Fledgling Freddie
I just returned after being away for some time, and voice-stuff had just started to rear its head as I left. I tried it a few times, and I tried doing without it. Now I see that it's more of a requirement than an optional thing.

So, what's the deal? Is it the be-all, or a bad thing? Is it now as important for PvE as it is for RvR? I know it's the Future no matter how much some might resist it, but does it detract from gaming experience or does it make things better?

I haven't made my mind up either way...

I love the thought of it for RvR. Anyone who's been non-/stick or -/follow knows the old frustration of trying to tell your group by typing that someone's coming in from behind or the side in time for you all not to be dead. Heh, even when on /follow it takes too long!

Trying to get a healer's attention when using weapon styles also seems to a nice time for vent.

/macro and hotkey can do the same trick, but you only have so many non-shift/alt/ctrl hotkeys and lots of other stuff to use them for.

Then ofc, the voice-chat is a lot more social and immediate, and you feel you get to know your fellow players better that way.

And now for my grumblings about vent: When I play, I usually play too much, i.e. I spend long hours on end. My one BIG grief about any voice-input is that it prevents me from playing music the way I want to play it, and that is mostly LOUD! :worthy:

And why is it that some people just love the sound of their own voice so much that they can't stop babbling about anything and nothing in particular, or start silly or puerile conversations that just make me want to turn off the damn thing again. There are always those who wouldn't know a hint (or an order...) to shut up even if it hit them in the face with dung-covered shovel.

On a more personal level: I've always done well on hearing tests where you sit in a quiet box listening to weak beeps. (I'm 38 and I can still hear those high-pitched new ring tones schoolkids use because the teachers most often can't hear them.) But I have a lot of trouble separating sounds, so using vent is often frustrating if the group leader doesn't have a voice pitched to carry over the other talk. So I have to concentrate. And being a typical male, I have trouble concentrating on more than one thing at a time... :p

Which brings me to the question: Is it possible to sometimes do ok without ventrilo, or are all RvR/raids etc voice-based now? And has someone found a way to listen to music and vent at the same time??? Personally I'd like the idea of a blinking dot on my screen telling me something in the way of: Hit mute now, and listen up, important stuff coming up on vent! :twak:

Zede

Part of the furniture
Vent/TS is a necessity if you want to rvr properly.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Zede said:
If everyone in the group knows exactly what to do when, you don't need vent or to write anything. ^^

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Zede said:

only if u dont trust your group mates...

and as posted above, no its not a necessity. ppl did just fine back in the days without it.

Twinkies

Fledgling Freddie
Vladamir said:
Funny how people managed in SI/ToA OF then.
Well, back then the majority didn't use it - now they do and it's a huge advantage, so if you wanna be able to compete against grps who uses voice-speak it's a must :p

Moriatroll

Fledgling Freddie
aye, very fun how ppl managed w/o toa bonuses aswell, i mean u loose alot if u dont use em! :p

the game have developed, and the users with it. If every1 stoped using vent/ts everything would work w/o it, but that aint gonne happen. Same as everything else good and new, if some1 can benefit from it, they will use it. That leads to the point where others have to use the tecnology to keep up with those who have it, and that's basicly where we are now.

And about music and vent/ts... usually I find it much more rewarding and fun to talk to other ppl then listening to music, but maybe that is just me being a social creature. :)

EDIT: Saw that twinkies replied b4 me, bleh :p

also, i gotto agree, if all ppl know what to do all the time, u wouldn't need vent/ts at all, but personally i think that is basicly impossible to learn so.. just use vent/ts xD

Unleashed

Loyal Freddie
While we are on the subject of Vent.

Can somebody give me deatils on how i run my own server please?

Thanks.

Gaino

Fledgling Freddie
Unleashed said:
While we are on the subject of Vent.

Can somebody give me deatils on how i run my own server please?

Thanks.

download server install on www.ventrilo.com

and if u want a address as server go to no-ip.com and follow instructions :p

Denarius

Loyal Freddie
Tbh if it wasent for vent, i would of left ages ago!, so damn funny chatting with the guys :D

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
Denny always has me in stitches on vent - in rvr or pve - he's just f*ckin mental!

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Teh FnoRd said:
If everyone in the group knows exactly what to do when, you don't need vent or to write anything. ^^

So when the bard cries PULL WEST on vent everyone would have figured it out without him saying that? :p

----

Back on topic. If you want to play in groups that use ventrilo you WILL have to use it yourself. No way around that. You can always join random fg PUG's with no vent, but that wont take you further that the bridge.

For rvr raids its not necessary as long as your group is listening to the leader. Vent really only helps thoose small fine maneuvers (wich zerging doesnt need).

For pve i enjoy vent/skype for chatting with the people i play with (Hi2U zaffa xD) wich makes pulling fins for hours much more enjoyable. You dont really need vent for giving orders in pve since people usually know what to do, and if they dont, chat is good enough.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Is vent for playing the game then, all ours is full of is Deanarius shouting "CHAV EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!" and jokes about willies. This might also explain why we are crap at RvR.

This seems to be a common theme as Blueskys vent is just as bad, and last night I learnt 4 words on his vent that my mum says are naughty.

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Vladamir said:
Funny how people managed in SI/ToA OF then.

quiet alot of set groups used voice com back then i think the 1st to use it was Nolby Pride

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
I've never used Vent at all - but then I don't try and compete in the 'fg' scene mostly because I don't want to have to run fotm classes and Vent.

I've managed to get all my characters to ML10, all ToA'd, one to rr10 one to almost rr8 and several at rr6 without ever using it so it is not essential unless you want to get into PUGs or fixed groups that insist on it.

(I do ofc accept that generally groups will play better with it than without I'm just pointing out it is far from essential!)

Zede

Part of the furniture
Teh FnoRd said:

Thats not true.

Seriously, time is your enemy. The time it takes for someone to type in say, "Fg mids NE !, and the said grp is coming to u at mach6... and will be on top of u before you finish typing.

Comms gives you that extra second to react what is immediately happening, and for anyone serious about FG rvr, its an absolute must. Having to constantly look at the chat channel is a BIG distraction in a frantic rvr fight - your eyes and fingers are best used elsewhere !!

scarloc

Fledgling Freddie
Its easy to miss someone typing, its harder when they're shouting at you :]

It greatly aids group coordination, and as such is pretty much a "must-have", although for some classes its enough just to listen.

Jobbegea

Loyal Freddie
As druid i really wanna know when our tanks taking damage OR about to take loads of damage. Esp with the powerrelic cabby's/sorcs on excal/pryd.
i will be ready to chain heal the tank(s) or if enough time; interupt the casters.

Taking damage is a matter of milliseconds. And when someone is taking damage the healthbar on my screen takes a half or maybe 1 second to move before his health is updated, then you still have to cast a spell wich takes 1second. or even get in range (sometimes happens), or interupted.

If a tank is allready taking heavy damage, and no ventrilo, its ussualy to late.
Casters do 3times more damage/second then SI days i think, maybe more.

Ventrilo is a must in FG rvr at least.

Bluesky

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I think Ventrilo enhances the whole gaming experience hence buying my hosted server about 18 months ago.

We use mine for anything and everything - proper fg rvr, pug rvr, pve, my dragon raids, keeping each other from falling asleep on big ml raids, etc, you name it :) It all adds to the fun of the game and nowadays daoc without vent just isn't the same at all.

In some situations it greatly helps teamplay eg fg rvr but others its purely for entertainment and causes many laughs :)

old.Whoodoo said:
Is vent for playing the game then, all ours is full of is Deanarius shouting "CHAV EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!" and jokes about willies. This might also explain why we are crap at RvR.
hmm that sounds waaaay too much like my vent ;)

old.Whoodoo said:
This seems to be a common theme as Blueskys vent is just as bad, and last night I learnt 4 words on his vent that my mum says are naughty.
but, but, but we were behaving last night... honest..... well ok apart from Mordur and his... erm... pink fetishes lol

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Bluesky said:
but, but, but we were behaving last night... honest..... well ok apart from Mordur and his... erm... pink fetishes lol
That pink gave me nightmares.....oh the horror....!

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Bluesky said:
Personally I think Ventrilo enhances the whole gaming experience hence buying my hosted server about 18 months ago.

We use mine for anything and everything - proper fg rvr, pug rvr, pve, my dragon raids, keeping each other from falling asleep on big ml raids, etc, you name it :) It all adds to the fun of the game and nowadays daoc without vent just isn't the same at all.

In some situations it greatly helps teamplay eg fg rvr but others its purely for entertainment and causes many laughs :)

hmm that sounds waaaay too much like my vent ;)

Well... I must say though that last few times I was online on your server, it was utterly boring.... hmm... well.... okay... could be ofcourse that a few regulars have me muted... but still!! :p

grizzy

Loyal Freddie
When i grow up i will start an online game retailer and sell game+microphone bundles /sarcasm off

naic

Loyal Freddie
Jobbegea said:
As druid i really wanna know when our tanks taking damage OR about to take loads of damage.

/grapple

NINNIA GONNA TAKE FUCKLOADS OF DAMAGE! HEAL!

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
i think the only downside to vent is hearing the whining. when its in grp chat, you can kinda ignore it, but when you got someone yelling "OMFG AERIS YOU SUCK WHERE WAS THE NUKE, KITE OMG DEBUFF FFS !! !! YOU SUCK!!" it tends to get to you a little more :p but then again Brite does have issues ;)

but on a whole, its great, makes rvr a hell of a lot easier, and pve a lot more fun

grizzy

Loyal Freddie
Aeris said:
i think the only downside to vent is hearing the whining. when its in grp chat, you can kinda ignore it, but when you got someone yelling "OMFG AERIS YOU SUCK WHERE WAS THE NUKE, KITE OMG DEBUFF FFS !! !! YOU SUCK!!" it tends to get to you a little more :p but then again Brite does have issues ;)

but on a whole, its great, makes rvr a hell of a lot easier, and pve a lot more fun

less PUGs then :p

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
Vent/TS is a must-have in RvR I say, It goes way faster now then it did 3-4 years back and the order giving need it for fast geting through to all the group members, one like me that dont look at the chat all the time when Im in combat.

When it comes to PvE, well, not so needed there but then it becomes a social tool instead.. No better way to get through the grinding with out falling asleep.

And, its good tool to do my "Flight of the Valkyrians" when entering combat ;)

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Aeris said:
or just less sucking tbh :p
Or just less playing with asswipes. I play with friends.

To answer the thread starter. I listen to music when I PvE and cba to listen to the babble. When I rvr I sometimes listen to music with really low volume, usually when we're just running around "for fun" (as in a small group taking towers and doing nothing serious). When I need to concentrate though, its all focus on the game. I love rvr. ;D

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
Well... I must say though that last few times I was online on your server, it was utterly boring.... hmm... well.... okay... could be ofcourse that a few regulars have me muted... but still!! :p

No comment :fluffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom