Variance in DDs

MaCaBr3

Banned
I've notice big variances in my nukes and I have no idea why

mana chanter heat debuffed nukes: 380->500->316->430 (all without crit)

does it has to do with +skill?

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Yes, as mana chanter you probably have only 20ish light + skill from items so you have around 35-40 (depending on RR) light spec which is why the variance is alot.
I believe if you have 51 specced in your DD line you got 0% variance.

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, and it seems that you need a composite spec equal to the level of the mob or player you are nuking in order to get no variance. That means you need 50 light to get no variance on sub rr5 players and 51 composite to get no variance on rr5+ players. My chanter is split spec and had variance of up to 4 points of damage when nuking rr5+ players, but nuke is stable now that the chanter is rr4 so I got 51 light. Also, theurg ice pets nukes are not consistent as they are lower level than the mobs they are hitting if the mobs are yellow+ to you. And even my thane stormcalling dd variance is lower after I got atlantis tablet which has +3 all magic skills.

MaCaBr3

Banned
So how much +skill do I need to have to have less variance in nukes? And I'm RR7L4 (and still ignorant as a horsetud)

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
With 49 mana and 22 light, and with +11 light in template, and with +6 from rr7, you get 39 light, which isn't awfully much. You would need rr19 to get no variance in rvr:-P You'll get no variance vs level 39 mobs/players though:-P
And how much +light you need to have less variance? Every single point of light helps variance, all the way up to 51 composite.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
This is the reason Sorcs whinge about their "baseline" damage.
A sorc spec (for me) is 44 mind, rest body - which iirc is 30 body. So there's a 40% variance factor in their nukes.

EEP! High variance! Cept at RR3 with + to spec from items is actually +13
(30+13 = 43 * 2 = 86 (100-86) = 14. ( %) of variance of dmg. Oh such justified whine :p

Anyhoo, the base dmg of a nuke is determined by the spec which is why a Dark SM will hit for the exact (yes, exact) same damage every shot with base dark nuke as spec lifedrain :)

(clarification - the base nuke will do same dmg each time but not the same dmg as spec - just it won't vary)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
So if im rolling a light eld, and will spec 45 in light, there is no reason at all to go any more than +6 light in my template = 51 ?

Sorry to add on this thread :) but you jogged my memory.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
tears: that won't cap your spec nuke. every +1 for a spec nuke increases damage by however much i cant recall.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
haarewin said:
tears: that won't cap your spec nuke. every +1 for a spec nuke increases damage by however much i cant recall.

So im better off going 45+11 rahter than 45+6

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
This is the reason Sorcs whinge about their "baseline" damage.
A sorc spec (for me) is 44 mind, rest body - which iirc is 30 body. So there's a 40% variance factor in their nukes.

31 body. Finally in the realms of no variance now I'm rr9 \o/

B

Biggilus

cant remember for a runey what the maths is, 48RC rest dark is 24 dark?
+11+RR means ill be looking forward to a bright future of varied variance? :p

Lomme

Fledgling Freddie
anioal said:
First of all, lets define "spell damage variance"

from my knowledge that means hittin the same target with the same spell repeatedly then notice any variance in damage. If the damage varies (sp?) then we have the so called "spell damage variance"

now lets see when this occur:

1. for spec spells we have no damage variance
2. for baseline spells we have variance only when spec+skills+rr is lower than spell level.

to be more specific lets take my chanter's case
light spec: 22, +skills: 11, +rr:2, grand total: 35
base light nuke spell level: 50

i always have damage variace when casting the damn nuke because my spell level is way above spec+skills+rr

example2: my vw has a lvl45 base life tap and i get no damage variance because i have 38 spec arboreal + 7 arboreal skill + 2 rr and that means i have my arboreal line above the spell level.

conclusion: if u plan / have to use base spells then u have to cap +skills to lessen the variance

note: same goes for heals

never need 51 like some said.

noblok

Part of the furniture
I think the formula is: Delve*[0.75+(skill level/spell level+1)*0.5] for minimum damage, maximum being Delve*1.25. Note that many more things effect the DD damage, this is just the part of the formula applying to variance.

Feel free to test it though, as I can't find the post where I read it any longer, so I had to reconstruct it from memory :). Probably easiest to test it with heals or buffs. (buffs will always be the minimum value).

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Biggilus said:
cant remember for a runey what the maths is, 48RC rest dark is 24 dark?
+11+RR means ill be looking forward to a bright future of varied variance? :p

oh yes :p

although mine seems to have mellowed now days, variance isnt too bad with 24 dark + 11 items + 7 from rr8 = 42 dark ;)

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
also acuity has a certain effect on it aswell afaik. Chanters variance is truly horrible for me, especially on mids with red heatbuff and there isnt much to do about it really :) More acuity, and more ranks is only thing that helps. Or relics ofc.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
If you can cap your damage on a particular target then you won't get anywhere near as much variance (hence the +acuity helping, more likely to hit cap ;))

But assuming you're not reaching cap, 50 spec will remove the variance - however higher spec will add average damage.

(don't need 51 spec on RR5 - they're still a level 50 target, all rr5 affects is AF/DPS caps)

B

Biggilus

Aeris said:
oh yes :p

although mine seems to have mellowed now days, variance isnt too bad with 24 dark + 11 items + 7 from rr8 = 42 dark ;)

i had a darkcarver years ago, 2 or 3 years pre-TOA anyway, remember was RR4 or something and always hit for 586 eveyr single time, with (+whatever) tho since it was a 50% debuff, but is it true that you cant debuff into negatives anymore?
heard that so amny times but using my runey in thid, with the 10% cold debuff nuke i then proceed to hit for (+whatever) on everyone (if they got less than 10% cold to begin with)
would lvoe to look forward to another 586 session :p

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
no you cant debuff into minus anymore :( on average after debuff i hit for 600+, with 651 being the cap...i think :p

noblok

Part of the furniture
Aeris said:
no you cant debuff into minus anymore :(
Resistance debuffs do go into negative values. Just do a quick test on your bot :).

MaCaBr3

Banned
Ok, I've respecced to 49 mana rest light and have +16 skill instead of +8. Nukes seem to hit with less variance now. I have to do a couple of more runs tho.

tnx for all the info everone (tho I couldn't understand f*ck all about the delves, formulas and some other stuff)

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
noblok said:
Resistance debuffs do go into negative values. Just do a quick test on your bot :).

interesting. tbh id never tested, just on what id heard off alot of people.

ta :p

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Aeris said:
interesting. tbh id never tested, just on what id heard off alot of people.

ta :p

Same =O

o_o Too bad meh accounts closed and I have no monies anymores.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
44 mind sorcs are funny :p

im 37 mind 39 body and i have 0 variance on my nukes and i mezz just as well.

anywho i like my sorc.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Awarkle said:

anywho i like my sorc.

You're silly.:fluffle:

You need MoF3 to make up for the fact that your mez is wank, so you'e wasting 6 RSP. And it's shorter ofc.

44 Mind
31 Body

31+11*2=84 - You've got a very small variance in your DD at RR1 - and you ain't a main dmg dealer anyway. :D

I ain't saying your spec isn't viable - it is a very nice solo, duo, small group spec. :)

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
btw .. if ur staff is on 70% con .. not only do u use more power per nuke, but u also have more variance...and less dmg cap afaik
so dont just keep the staffs on 100% for the +magic skills .. its for dmg too just like a normal tank weapon

noblok

Part of the furniture
(invisibletank) said:
btw .. if ur staff is on 70% con .. not only do u use more power per nuke, but u also have more variance...and less dmg cap afaik
so dont just keep the staffs on 100% for the +magic skills .. its for dmg too just like a normal tank weapon
This is the first time I hear about that. Do you have a link to tests supporting this?

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:

anywho i like my sorc.

Mezz just as well? With a lower level, shorter duration, smaller radius spell?

And of course you have a lower con debuff.

Mmk!

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
difference between the 44 mind and 37 mind spec is that with higher body i have aoe yellow root, + yellow matter,cold,heat debuffs. + i hit a lot harder when i nuke which i do a lot with a cabalist and theug in the group.

i have no problem with mezzing and only have mastery of focus 2 + moc 3 (at the moment)

i just prefer the two types of crowd control than just being a mezz bot :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom