Vaio no worky

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hi

I bought a Vaio SZ1XP about 3 weeks ago and it's suddenly stopped working. I had it on my desk at work and it was fine... then I go back to it 30 minutes later, it's switched off and the power button has no effect whatsoever. It was plugged into the mains at the time so it's not a battery problem.

This is my first laptop so are there any obvious troubleshooting steps I should know about? This is obviously something I wasn't expecting in my third week of ownership... :eek:

Any help muchly appreciated, before I go crying to Sony Tech Support...

TIA

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Any led activity at all? Tried ejecting the battery and plugging it back in?

If it's plugged in and there's no LED's active on the laptop it could be a power adapter problem - you can try and get that replaced or just buy a multi-adapter from maplin. It's about 15 quid and it has a number of plugs, one will fit your laptop. Then you just set the voltage and try that.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Cheers nath, but nada. :(

No LED activity at all... no audible noises from inside (I could hear the hd initialising before). It's like I'm not hitting the power button.

I've tried:

- Taking the battery out and plugging it in about half an hour later.
- Using the AC adapter.
- Not using the AC adapter.
- Asking it nicely.
- Glaring.

It's just sitting there with the vaio equivalent of a blank look on it's vaio equivalent of a face. :eek:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
take it back to the shop sounds like the transformer or PSU died

or something equally as fatal :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yup, I've seen a couple of Vaios have their adapter die. See if you can try a replacement, that should sort it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Vaio worky!! :D

I rang Vaio-Link today and the guy told me it sounded like the mainboard had died. But he suggested a test I could try to establish if it was or not. Take battery and AC adapter out, hold the power button for 25 seconds, plug the AC back in (sans battery) and... it worked!

I'm now a happy Vaio owner again. Thanks to both of you that helped! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom