UT future?

O

old.Maverick

Regardless of which game is better, I think it's almost inevitable that UT is going to become very much a minority game alongside the likes of Half-life.

With the amount of cash the CPL is offering I would expect the majority of US 'names' to start seriously playing Q3 once it is released. A lot of good to average players will follow them in this with the aims of improving their game and competing for big bucks. The 'newbies' who look up to names like Makaveli or Thresh will follow suit ("Hey if X likes it it must be cool").

For people who can place 1-5th a few times a year, professional gaming is going to become a viable option. In the next CPL even even a player placing 32nd wins a few hundred bucks. And with companies such as Razor offering 'bounties' (20% extra for anyone who uses a Razor mouse in the April CPL event) there is serious money to be made.

Since the lions-share of the gaming news sites are US based then you can expect to see lots of reports on the inevitable online competitions and mini-tournaments in the lead up to April. I expect most UK gamers pay regular visits to Blues, but how many US gamers regularly visit non-US sites?

In the online world, more than anywhere, success breeds success and with all the publicity and hype that will be generated Q3 will probably begin to attract the majority of new gamers, or entice them to switch from other online games.

I think the future looks very bleak for Unreal Tournie, which is quite sad because unlike Unreal it's through no fault of Epic's.

// maverick

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 10 November 1999).]

C

cenobite

I know its still to be released but it seems that UT seems to be fast disappearing. With people moving over to Q3a with thoughts of ££ (or $$) prizes will UT survive?

Will UT end up like QuakeWorld is at the moment? Played by a fair few people but mostly dead?

In fact is UT like this now?

D

DApea!

i know they say that, but i dont know any HL players.

none at all.

i dont think any serious q2 players have even played HL online, i know i havnt.. only at lans. but its still boring there.

O

old.[EM]vaggabond

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>it's almost inevitable that UT is going to become very much a minority game alongside the likes of Half-life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ROFL Half Life is the most played on-line game world wide by miles and miles. Every server count says so
smile.gif

If UT is a 'minority' as half life I'll be well happy!

[This message has been edited by [EM]vaggabond (edited 11 November 1999).]

O

old.Maverick

Indeed, I know no Half-life players either but I could name dozens of Quake2 or Tribes players despite never playing that game.

I also see no tournaments being organised for it, and very little in the way of online leagues, and it's online coverage is minimal compared to QW, Q2, UT, Q3.

It just lacks the 'buzz' that QW and Q2 have always had.

// maverick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom