UT and strange things happening....

O

old.[SS]hol

For some time now Ive been experiencing v strange problems with UT online...

Worth noting Im on ISDN btw.
Whenever I seem to play against a european clan from either Germany, France, Portugal or somewhere else in europe (except Holland it seems)

I get an odd sort of lag which bassically ruins the game completely.

It also happens when I play against european players on publics, the likes of people from P (who I know are from Portugal) I was against some guy whos name I cant remember tho he had a 200 ping, I was getting this lag problem anytime I went near him.

Put it this way, Ive unloaded 6 rockets into people when this is happening and seem them hit, yet the recieving person doesnt even flinch.

Also I fire, say the flak cannon at one of these laggy basts, and theres a tiny fraction of delay, and the shards apear to go straight through them, at which point they turn around and blow the crap out of me like Im standing still :)

Now I was wondering if Im the only person to experience these problems? (I should say its not normal lag just to emphasise the point)
And if so, what have you done about it?
What causes it?

Cos bassically having seen the league draw [SS] are up against 6/11 european clans of varying nation, and I know that 2 people in my clan suffer from this at least.

So bassically were going to be potentially crippled playing against these clans and Im seriously gonna get pissed off when this happens. :)

-hol

O

old.Jools

Hmm similar here

the last 2 weeks for me have been exactly like that.

Last nite irritated me when i was typing away in a corner of gauntlet when suddenly i picked up a health pack -and health dont spawn in that bit at all.hand y cos i was on 48 health at the timebut i have been hitting ppl with 3-4 rockets and am surprised to see them run through the explosion with out even noticing it.

Me is on NTL isdn. and this is the first time really its been naff as hell. - saying that even when playing diablo 2 recently the conn has sucked and Major lag spikes have been occurring - is the net starting to crumble? I've had bad patche before but not nearly like this -

O

old.[MMX]NinjaGaz

not that I'm on ISDN or anything, but thats what I get all the time. It may be possible that you are playing on servers that Europeans find give them good pings, but when you go there then you get a router problem or something. In UK it may play fine but if theres one hop thats fekked along the way you get lag like that.

It so annoying when you shoot directly at someone with 6 rockets and they walk through them :(

At least you dont get the evil modemers splash damage that gets you from half a mile away. :)

O

old.Scum

I've noticed that behaviour too...

It doesn't show TRUE ping (as shown by F6) on the scoreboard, which can sometimes be 2 or 3 times what is shown on the scoreboard. I think this is caused when you are not getting the bandwidth to/from the server that you need to support your netspeed.

I normally see an F6 ping of about 1.5x to 2x my scoreboard ping, which is ok, but occasionally it spikes up. I am guessing that my connection is getting momentarily squeezed by some other traffic.

I would think that the further away the server is, the more likely it is you won't get the necessary bandwidth at any given moment to support your netspeed...

The joke rockets are annoying but I don't know what causes them. I have a feeling they never used to happen before a certain version of the UT patch?

O

old.g-stoic

Joke Rockets

I think the so-called joke rockets or ghost rockets or whatever ya wanna call them, didn't happen with 4.15 and earlier.

O

old.[G-UT] C.O Defiance

i just suffer from unplayable lag.

T

Testin da Cable

i havn't seen that rocket gag yet.

i have skipped all round levels, flown through the air, walked thru walls, telefragged ppl without teleporting, shot rockets that i didn't have and drowned in green goo that i wasn't standing near at the time due to lag/loss.

yup.

O

old.Kez

Nah hol mate, you're just shite ;)

/me cowers.

O

old.[MMX]NinjaGaz

...and I suicided with the mini-gun the other day :) I must have a reaaalll bad aim :)

O

old.SUp3rFM

hehe, I have a couple of suicides with the enforcer and the sniper rifle... I can't remember to be so depressed that I would shoot myself in the head (online, that it) :)

[SS]Hol, When you're near to a Phalanx player it's not lag you suffer... it's fear! heheh. Tbh, some portuguese servers suck, ping/pack loss even for us, that we live there. Just to give an example, since bw changed ip's we, especially the ones with cable, are getting poor connections, nice pings... but 20% pl avg!

So, you're not alone :)

L

luap

It's funny how when you read of someone else in the same plight the penny eventually drops. I normally do ok in UT on all mods but just lately I've been scoring crap. Your all quite right about the strange lag/ghosts/sniping yourself. Thinking back it was around.... (/me gets twatted by penny) 4.32 Maybe that's why 4.35 is in production already. Hol, email Epic your lovely description of the prob. Maybe get some BW weight (there's a lot of that) behind you for them to fix ASAP. Btw. I'm currently off ISDN and on 56k :( waiting for my ADSL to go in.

O

old.[MMX]NinjaGaz

Jace the lucky bugger is getting a 2Mbit ADSL line in his house :p

He just wants it to show off :p

And Jace.. when do we get our BW TDM server prize?

You're Boudoire is lovely but it means you always have to be around.. and now that we've joined clanbase we'll need it more regular :)

Plus we can advertise our clan through the name :)

L

luap

/me *should* get his 2mb adsl tomorrow.
phear the bandwidth :D

O

old.Huster

I found that the area that u live in can affect the amount of lagg that I encounter - I live in quite an old part of england and the telephone lines in this area are quite old too - as the lines are old allot of "spikes" or surges can be caused in the lines - each time a surge occurs lagg kicks in and the game can even freeze up which the connection tries to return to normal...

I found that a surge protecter for you r telephone line on your modem can reduce these "spikes" to nothing - You also don't fry your chip set in a thunder storm

Huster

B

bodhi

My cock is hard

I cant say I had ever noticed this problem until hol "brought it up" (more like screamed down Roger Wilco at anyone who would care to listen :) ), I had always put it down to my own lack of practice and ineptitude. But ti does happen a lot. And having a ping of 20 most of the time thanks to my lovely uni connection I doubt it has much to do with lag or PL, so theres definately something strange going on.

Kez, you're right. hol is shit :). Bastard owes me a pint too..... :)
ahem
/me runs like fuck

Bodhi

T

Testin da Cable

/me wishes he went to a GB uni.

from what i read in this ere MB all you pe0ns do is dl p0rn play online games and abuse booze and psycedelica for "research"

-tdc

/me runs and hides too :)

O

old.SUp3rFM

Hey... u could go to a Portuguese Uni too... All they do is dl warez, p0rn, network games, etc, etc... I think they study between those activities, altough I'm not sure if they take that time to get drunk. :)

O

old.[CIA]Tarantella

Ive had this problem too; good ping and low p/l but things not playing right and the feeling that your playing half a second behind everyone else.:eek:

I think its due to server overload.

O

old.Kez

Bodhi in almost useful thread shocker!

mroe to the point,

Bodhi in the UT forum!
icon10.gif

O

old.[G-UT] C.O Defiance

stuupid pings

anyway instagib tonight

ill be lucky if i see who kills me :-(

O

old.]Frog[

i'm having same problems too :(

[BONG]Frog.

game sun should be ibnteresting as all our attack has probs (me/tara/cop)

but u guys do too :(

O

old.[G-UT] C.O Defiance

In instagib ... i got a ping of 12643

i have a screenshot

it is impossible

ARGH

on a ping of 12000+ i got on a killing spree :-\

T

Testin da Cable

your opponents musta been prats then :)

O

old.Toffoo

well serves you right for playing such a piece of shit game :p

O

old.]Frog[

/me gets to see if the guys any good at TDM on Tuesday.

wish us luck

[BonG]Mozzarella

O

old.[G-UT] C.O Defiance

i wont , coz i think ur in our leagye

an whoever it was that mocked instagib, PAH at you.

O

old.Beta

take another server

Take another server! those european server r somethime slow.
whats ya ping at when u play?

O

old.[G-UT] C.O Defiance

how can you mock instagib ?

Oh i know how, i get it.

YOu obviously havent heard of reflexes :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom