Advice Using Sky router as modem only

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
OK so it turns out that the Sky SR102 fibre router as a bag of shite for wireless.
So I'm looking for a simple solution. It looks like many peeps replace it completely, hack their username etc and blast new firmware into other routers, too complicated.
I want to keep my router as a modem only, get a cheapo wireless router (renaming the router so everything still connects) and bingo!
So, anybody done this?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not with sky. But you should just have to connect your new wireless router into the sky router and bobs your fathers brother. You can then go into the sky modem and turn off the wireless if you want. Connecting one to the other via a gigabyte cat 5e cable i think you wont notice the difference of two routers. Obviously your new router wont need to be a modem as well. Just wireless and cable router

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
So some research later and it turns out that the BT HomeHub5 works perfectly in this environment. Plus there's some really good setup walk-throughs online. Plenty for sale on Ebay so will purchase and report back.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Well apparently, yes.
Gets good reviews and is used by many pissed off Sky users as a wifi router.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
So, WIN!
Bought a HomeHub 5 on EBay for £10 + postage, followed this How To guide.
Was previously getting between 8 and 12 Mbps downstairs and only 15 to 20Mbps in the same room as the router on wireless.
Now getting 36Mbps anywhere in the house, matching (more or less) the wired speed.

Pro Tip: I changed the BT HH SSID and password to the old Sky one to save having to setup everything in the house again.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So, WIN!
Bought a HomeHub 5 on EBay for £10 + postage, followed this How To guide.
Was previously getting between 8 and 12 Mbps downstairs and only 15 to 20Mbps in the same room as the router on wireless.
Now getting 36Mbps anywhere in the house, matching (more or less) the wired speed.

Pro Tip: I changed the BT HH SSID and password to the old Sky one to save having to setup everything in the house again.
Glad it worked put for you :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
I had a homehub 5 and while one of the better ISP provided ones it still isn't a match for the Asus 87u I reinstalled after using it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I had a homehub 5 and while one of the better ISP provided ones it still isn't a match for the Asus 87u I reinstalled after using it.
Yeah but he got the hub for a tenner and if it matches what he gets external connection not much point going a lot faster. Unless he transfers a lot internally. Its enough for streaming movies.

My netgear wndr3700 is cool and works well throughout my house. Its attached to the virgin hub thats used as a modem only.

Embattle

FH is my second home
As I said it isn't a bad router just not that great unless compared to the other crap ISPs give you, also it isn't about maximum speeds since without the right equipment you can't achieve it on the 87u or any other high end router. The simple fact is I found the 87u had better strength, range, speed, signal quality at the same standards as the HH5, but you naturally pay more for it.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
All true but don't need it, streaming Kodi downstairs (the major issue) is fine now on the HD channels. Also needed to make sure that what I got would piggyback the sky router easily. So £10, 10 minutes, sorted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom