usb turntable

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
looking at these, for basically ripping vinyl -> mp3/CD

anyone know anything about them, had any experience of em, or any other thoughts or views ?

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Well I guess this is under the category of other thoughts cos I don't have any experience of the USB turntables. I have done a reasonable amount of ripping vinyl though.

I use the turntable from my old stereo, which is OK quality but nothing special, probably better than the USB ones. If you go down this route you also need a pre-amp as the output is too quiet to record properly.

My current soundcard has normal phono type line in sockets which did make the job easier. I recorded the music with Sound Forge, a whole side at a time, and then split it into separate songs and saved as mp3 or wav first to make a CD of. here is also a plug-in for sound Forge that can filter hiss and crackle out of the music. This is an incredibly long winded process, and explains why most of my LP collection remains un ripped.

I'm not sure how much of the process is automated with the USB type turntables, but I'm certain that for a reduction in quality (that may or may not be important to you), it would be a great deal less hassle.

RB

Chilly

Balls of steel
The usb jobbies have a built-in sound interface, thus making the required equipment less than with a regular deck + pre-amp + digitiser of some description (probably your sound card). With the price of relatively high end audio chipsets and the precision with which motors and other small things are made these days I wouldnt be surprised if the USB decks are pretty good. They wont be as good as a nice high end dj-grade turntable but for casual listening the compression to MP3 will do the sound over more than the rest of the process I would imagine.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have one and I have to say I think its a pain in the arse.

The software is horrid and everytime I want to rip something from vinyl I just can't be arsed with it. It gathered dust by my pc and now its been put away. I have one of the better known makes as well....erm.........Ion I think.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I prefer to listen to the vinyl tbh :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Totally agree with Tom.

I wish I had just bought a record player (which would of been cheaper).

The one song I did rip I didn't clean it up, left all the crackles on it, made me feel warm inside :D

taB

Part of the furniture
Netto are selling these for about £20 this week - bet it's great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom