USB FLash Drives

L

LTF

I want to get one of these, looking at 512MB capacity.
Wheres the best/cheapest place to get these from?
Any recommended makes?

ta

L

LTF

Yea, pen drives, cheers for the link, seems much more reasonable.
I checked dabs earlier, found one set, they were hellishly expensive, £300 for 512mb iirc :/
That one seems much more spot on, not sure about the colours! :/

J

Jonty

These things are wonderful! :D (BTW - They have a few different names, but they're all the same, "USB Flash Drives" "USB Pen Drives" "USB Memory Sticks" etc).

The best makes are probably Belkin, and perhaps TwinMOS (though I haven't directly heard anything about the latter). eBuyer, love them or hate them, have a great many of these drives, so at least you'll be able to get an idea about pricing.

The technology powering the drives is all fairly similar, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with any particular make. That said, prices do vary a lot, so be very careful before buying a drive. I would also recommend spendng a little more and going for a USB 2.0 version, since the data transfer rate is far greater than that of USB 1.1.

Kind Regards

S

smurkin

I got a Disgo...which is ok...I found I could tell windows to compress the pen drive and get twice as much space ;)

only problem is that you need to mount the drive the first time you use it a new pc (coz of the compression) plus I couldnt get XP to mount the compressed drive...so its really only useful in windows98 (!doh!... a cautionary tale...any tips on how to do this in xp would be appreciated)

Users who are viewing this thread