Upcoming 1.89a housing changes

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Bit stupid. At this stage of the game should make housing easier to maintain not more difficult. Not like peeps fighting over lots anymore and it's really have more important stuff to think about irl than maintaining in-game housing when not playing. Lost a house for the first time the otherweek just cos didn't play for a couple of weeks and it's just annoying and doesn't help anyone.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
no that would be everything for free for no effort what so ever... but thats never gonna happen anywhere so :)

it IS a problem on the US servers, now if GOA change it here in EU i dont see a problem with it.

but there is a CRAPLOAD of overpriced junk on CM's thats owned by unsubbed ppl here thats stinging ppl in the eye. getting rid of THAT would be a great thing.

Again thats a solution, it aint the best. As I hope my earlier posts indicate, there is an argument for doing something, just this isn't the optimal way of approaching it.

Conway

Fledgling Freddie
If your only reason to reactivate is that your house will still be there, I find that a strange reason.

To be more exact its that for me if the house isn't there, then its a major reason not to reactivate.

You may well find it a strange reason, but I'm in an unusual position. Having to rebuild and refurnish your house is a pain for anyone, and not how they really want to spend their first day back in a game. I have an extra problem as well. We are roleplayers, where roleplayer is the type of roleplay in MMORPG, not the way it currently gets used in RVR arguments. We roleplay our characters as if they are real individuals living in the world of DAOC. We've written stories about them. A lot of the stories feature the house and the village where my characters live. Even if the house contents are successfully saved, rebuilding a house somewhere else would mess things up for my characters.

OK, so I'm weird, but for me it has much the same effect as hearing they are turning off the servers. Partly because its unnecessary on the realm and server I played. I totally and completely accept the argument that an inactive account shouldn't have a house when there are no free lots for active accounts to build houses. Where that is the case, it is quite reasonable to clear space in this way. However, I played Hibernia Prydwen which has entire housing zones that are virtually empty.

Sorry I'm a bit slow posting on this, but an immediate side effect of this news is that I'm not visiting this forum the way I used to.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I have 4 houses on 3 different servers, haven't played for a year but one of the few postitives that would make me consider coming back are my houses and the work I put into them. Take that away and I would really see it as a slap in the face, especially when you consider that the 3 servers my houses are on are all massively under-populated with hundreds of vacant plots available.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i'm still hoping that GOA wont invoke this rule on the duvet cluster. it may be a problem on all the other servers, and in US it IS a big problem. so in the defense of Mythic, i CAN understand the reasoning behind it. atleast for those servers.

but anyway, hand on heart. those of u that isnt subscribed, WILL you come back if GOA dont use this rule on this cluster? or rather would you have came back even if this rule never was thought of?

u probably dont know, and neither Mythic nor GOA can take a maybe into consideration when they make theese desitions. they both have to work with what they have, not what they might, at some distant future, get.

now i say this again (as some of u probably missed it) i hope GOA dont use this rule on duvet because it isnt needed. but it probably IS needed everywhere else. exept on the italian or spanish servers. wich makes our cluster look full :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
but anyway, hand on heart. those of u that isnt subscribed, WILL you come back if GOA dont use this rule on this cluster? or rather would you have came back even if this rule never was thought of?

Hand on heart, I was considering going back just for a couple of months because a good friend of mine has gone back to play with a couple of other old friends who never left. I have unfinished buisness with my Reaver who has been waiting 4 years to get from level 45 to 50. If this patch is going to go live and GOA are going to implement it then I won't bother coming back, I don't see the point of giving them my money and then being penalised when I decide to stop playing for a while.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Hand on heart, I was considering going back just for a couple of months because a good friend of mine has gone back to play with a couple of other old friends who never left. I have unfinished buisness with my Reaver who has been waiting 4 years to get from level 45 to 50. If this patch is going to go live and GOA are going to implement it then I won't bother coming back, I don't see the point of giving them my money and then being penalised when I decide to stop playing for a while.

NEKKID STICK FIGHT!

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
My accounts are going to run out (I've finally turned off the 6-monthly auto-renew for the first time) soon, and I was planning to load up the CMs with a ton of cash and maybe come back at some nebulous future date if something occurs to make me want to. If Mythic take my houses from me, that's it. Game over. I'm kind of attached to them and I don't want to start over. What they should do is just ditch the bloody rent payments altogether; the housing zones are just copy/pastes anyway, not like it would take much effort to shunt a few new ones in where/when needed.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
This should be a configuration flag (such as the realm bonus) and only considered on servers with less than 5% of the lots free.

I can see a need for this, as buying a house on Gareth was a pain, but i'm not playing now and others want the land - so fair game.

But on servers where there is sufficient land to cope for all this will just be another reason not to resubscribe for some.

<gets off soap-box>

censi

Can't get enough of FH
seems ridiculous to me... i mean theres 100's of plots free on this server... even on a populated server i would be there shit loads free (if u hunt around)

if I had lost my house this would have definetly stopped me from coming back..

so I can just laugh at this change and think... hmm that suxs but who cares its a decision which is gonna fook you up more than me etc...

again like u dont have to be some sort of daoc genious to see why its bad.. I just cannot for the life of me think what kind of idiots are making these decisions they are so utterly clueless...

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
If you decide to stop paying for the service will your ISP save your emails, your web space, etc. just in case you might return because of your loveable page? No, since you don't play to keep your data, you don't pay for regular backups.

When we speak about game subscribtion it is the same. Except: your data is extra work when they patch the game. Having a house is more resources used than having the items ready at an NPC, they save money on a service you don't pay for.

If it would be this simple, it would be prefectly ok and good to close down houses already. After all: you keep decorations, trophies, items, house deed, you can just move and spend a few hours.

You say, there are empty lots on prydwen. Yes, but what about empty villages if a guild wants to settle in one place (near each other) to share resources, and would love to stay close to housing entrance for reduced travell times (both for the new alts and the customers)

Uhh, ohh, they should work extra, because you want to use a service you don't pay for even if that hurts the paying customers. Is it fair to paying customers, the existing players?

The game is far from dying, with the new patches, some new ads it gets new players, and I think it might even grow in the near future, but for that it should focus on getting new players and keeping them happy.

It was fun, when a level 16 said, if I join her guild I can be as high level as her, since she would PL me. And honestly: Since I checked some new content for low level groups, I found them fun, and found fun way of exping and grouping.

Both on Gaheris, and on RvR servers... Well, in the later case my druid ran into a higher level alb in the level 1-4 rvr dungeon, but the 5-9 version was good for payback time.

These people including the funny 16 chanter with the PL offer deserves a chance to have functional houses. Where they can use the resources from nearby houses, where their house are near to houses of guildies and other friends.

Yes, I love and loved my houses (some open, some gone), yet I don't care about my dyvet houses. Why? Because I stoped playing there, and stoped paying for the service.

And I can open new houses on my new account too, both with my druid (on an RvR server) and my ment (on Gaheris), and we can have a village shared with friends :) Ok, friends I play with might make it hard to find a good lot on Gaheris but we can fix that.

Conway

Fledgling Freddie
You say, there are empty lots on prydwen. Yes, but what about empty villages if a guild wants to settle in one place (near each other) to share resources, and would love to stay close to housing entrance for reduced travell times (both for the new alts and the customers)

If you look at the housing register for Prydwen for ten seconds you would see the answer to your question. On Hibernia Prydwen there are six housing zones where most villages are totally empty, and a guild could choose any of them to settle down. In honesty I doubt more that one or two guilds would be doing such a thing these days. So in my case my house is not inconveniencing any current player. If it was, as I said, I would totally accept that argument. My house is not hurting anyone, just making a very empty place look a little more lived in. There is nothing more depressing than a landscape of empty lots.

Interestingly, the situation on Albion and Midgard is not very different. Hibernia has 1248 vacant lots, Midgard 1183, Albion 1006.

Comparing emails and isps is not really the same thing, since I can save my emails if I change isp. GOA choose to save the characters on lapsed accounts because we can't do it ourselves. They realise people are far less likely to return if their characters are no longer there. Losing a house is not as bad as losing your character's equipment which is not as bad as losing your realm rank, which is not as bad as losing your character. Losing a house is a little thing for most, a bigger one for me, but it is a negative point when you consider coming back.

For me it has made a difference. I've been looking at these forums, keeping an eye on things both to gauge the likelihood of DAOC aggro getting carried on into WAR, and in case I came back to DAOC itself. I was a very very committed DAOC player. Now I'm not really interested in coming to this forum any more because DAOC is past and gone.

Carry on and post what you like now. Frankly, I no longer give a damn about DAOC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom