Unix and Lindows

W

Will

You have to pay for Lindows, though you do get teh tech support that comes with it.

I'd try out the Knoppix link I gave you, it'll give you an idea of how linux runs. Friendly distros are Mandrake, Suse, Yoper (hot choice of the moment), Libranet, Redhat, and I'm sure there are more to choose from.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Will.
Just you don't need to learn how to mount drives and all that.

That was just an example Will :p

Why exactly would you want to pay for Lindows, I really would pick Linux, BSD over Lindows.

W

Will

Heh, I was giving an example too.

Linux developers have finally started to realise if they want lots of people to use their OS, they need to make it easier, and it is starting to happen. Give it a couple of years, and it'll be better than Windows for ease of use, at the moment, it still has some niggles that require being a bit more PC literate. (Though by PC literate, I really just mean not afraid to try things. Hell, if I can do command line BSD, anyone can try Linux)

T

Testin da Cable

if directX ever gets rehaxored to unix microsoft will lose. the lawsuits will rock the world though. brrr.

S

Shocko

Originally posted by Embattle
The average user can't be bothered wasting that much time trying to learn how to change time, mount drives, etc, etc in Linux, all things that are much easier to do under Windows.
man date
man mount

If you cba to rtfm, then you can fo tbh :rolleyes:

AND Q£ IS NOT TEH SHIIT U F)0l11!!!1 fs11!!!!!

:)D)

E

Embattle

^Long haired linux loving Q3 playing leet typing seeks dog for loving relationship :rolleyes:

X

xane

Originally posted by Embattle
Coming from the person with an Xbox avatar.

I don't own an X-Box and neither am I likely to, the avatar was chosen because has a big X and four letters, easy to photoshop (ok, MS Paint) to "xane".

Linux and BSD are not taking over from Windows, but they are taking over from other UNIX installations, many big companies have policies on replacement of their very expensive sitewide licenses.

I'd gamble that Sun will be dead in a few years time unless they embrace an OpenSource OS, and from experience I can truthfully say that FreeBSD is every bit as good as Solaris, if not better and more polished and with less bugs.

X

xane

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
if directX ever gets rehaxored to unix microsoft will lose. the lawsuits will rock the world though. brrr.

This is true, the only thing holding back non-Windows is DirectX and the fact games and graphics drivers can't be arsed to use a more open format.

Strip graphics away from the game and you have the server, which runs fine, if not better, on non-Windows. Only the graphics issue remains.

E

Embattle

DX is not the only thing, it is a big part though although so is the general lack of friendliness in Linux, even with recent improvements.

Games developers, Hardware developers will always be slower at developing for Linux and other Oses since the usage is next to nothing compared to Windows platforms, although this is a vicious circle since unless they do more then the uptake of Linux will still lag behind.

Do not be fooled that recent DoJ action will do any thing much to change MS domination in the client OS arena. Shame really since if it did offer serious competition the price of Windows would drop :)

M

MYstIC G

Yopper?

P.S. - Anyone know of any good *nix on X-Box resources, since it dropped into the conversation & all.

F

FUCKINGLAMENESS

I can truthfully say that FreeBSD is every bit as good as Solaris, if not better and more polished and with less bugs.
Good luck running FreeBSD on 64-way SMP systems then.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Will.
.cage - look at this.

Huzzah, I have defeated DRM already

haxxing.jpg

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by .nick

Good luck running FreeBSD on 64-way SMP systems then.

if you have them.......like me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom