Unix and Lindows

A

Ash!

Apologies way up front fro being a n00bie pleb. I was thinking of building a second system and have Linux-Mandrake or Lindows as the O/S. Basically because I want to try something new.

Will most common PC games run on Linux or Lindows. Anybody with any experience or advice to share would be more than welcome

W

Will

Originally posted by blade07
Will most common PC games run on Linux or Lindows. Anybody with any experience or advice to share would be more than welcome
No. Anything that requires D3D will not run. Some OpenGL games run under emulation, but tend to underperform for your hardware. A few games have native linux ports, they run faster than the Win32 versions.;)

S

Shocko

Re: Re: Unix and Lindows

Originally posted by Will.
A few games have native linux ports, they run faster than the Win32 versions.;)
Quake, Quake2, Quake3, RTCW, UT, UT2k3... And NWN will have a port soon, maybe.

W

Will

Re: Re: Re: Unix and Lindows

Originally posted by Shocko

Quake, Quake2, Quake3, RTCW, UT, UT2k3... And NWN will have a port soon, maybe.
Hopefully. Unreal 2 should be ported too.

T

Testin da Cable

I have tribes2 for linux too, and heavy gearII. not that anyone cares :)

W

Will

There are still a few people playing Tribes2...

On a slight tangent, I discovered, in my FreeBSD ports collection, a large selection of ready to go game servers, as well as Quakeworld, and a few Ascii games.

I like this system.:)

T

Testin da Cable

There are still a few people playing Tribes2...

On a slight tangent, I discovered, in my FreeBSD ports collection, a large selection of ready to go game servers, as well as Quakeworld, and a few Ascii games.

I like this system.:)

the ports collection is pure winnage :)

W

Will

Much better than uploading the binary...that was so much hassle.

W

Will

Lovefest, not orgy.

I can tell you are thinking about buying XP there.:eek:

E

Embattle

I laugh my arse off every time Linux users try and hype up the gaming ability of linux etc, it just doesn't compare to Win32 platforms.

Linux etc are great at certain things, games isn't one of them.

W

Will

I didn't exactly hype it up, did I? I thought I was quite sensible and honest with him.

And Linux still runs Q3 faster.:p

T

Testin da Cable

I wouldn't call what Will said hyping-up either. I do know what down-playing is though :p

E

Embattle

I didn't exactly hype it up, did I? I thought I was quite sensible and honest with him.

And Linux still runs Q3 faster.:p

Q3 is crap on either platform, although no doubt it was out on Win32 platforms before Linux....do we also need reminding what happened to the manufacturer of it and many other games for Linux.

Who exactly needs to down play Linux, the free OS still not making much ground over an OS which costs considerable more and, so they say, has loads of bugs etc.

:p :p :p

W

Will

Heh, did I mention Q3 being any good? I certainly don't play it. All my games are Win32 only.:eek:

And never underestimate FUD, and/or the difficulty in moving from closed standards, and/or the fact Windows is bundled with most computers.

Windows has a few aces up its sleeves...Photoshop being one of them, familiarity being another, and until recently, I'd have said ease of installation.

Dammit, I didn't want to start on a "My OS is better than your OS". I run both, they both have their places. True, Linux doesn't have as many games as Win32, and Loki games died just when desktop Linux was starting to take off. But the more people who take up Linux looking to play a few major games, the better things will get on that front. I'd just like to have the option of which OS to run my games on.

S

Shocko

Originally posted by Embattle
Who exactly needs to down play Linux, the free OS still not making much ground over an OS which costs considerable more and, so they say, has loads of bugs etc.
This is because the average user is too stupid to use it :) This is generally through lack of knowledge, rather than idiocy, however the latter does play some part...

No-one hyped gaming potential. The guy asked what windows games he could play, so we helped him out :)

And badmouthing Q3... fS!!11!¬ Out of here now, heathen! :eek:

T

Testin da Cable

...but quake is shit shocko!! accept it!!1 :eek:

W

Will

Has Embattle started trolling again, and have we just walked into his cave...guys?...guys? :help:

X

xane

Originally posted by Embattle
Linux etc are great at certain things, games isn't one of them.

Played on a games server recently ?

Windows is just a very expensive "phat client" system really.

C

.cage

I will switch to linux when i have to, i.e. when/if palladium is ever implemented by the evil jewish capitalist media who want to charge us royalties for whistling tunes in the street.

but not before then, win2k MOTHER FUCKERS

E

Embattle

The average user can't be bothered wasting that much time trying to learn how to change time, mount drives, etc, etc in Linux, all things that are much easier to do under Windows.

Linux is being taken up by more people, but not as a replacement to Windows....more of a hobbie OS.

Q3 is utter shit :p

E

Embattle

Originally posted by xane

Windows is just a very expensive "phat client" system really.

Coming from the person with an Xbox avatar.

Linux is a very good server for games, still isn't good enough on the client side.

W

Will

.cage - look at this.

Embattle - Have you tried any of the more modern flavours of linux?

E

Embattle

I've had a look, but I really can't think of one reason to use it. It does nothing that I can't do atm, perhaps if I wanted to do some server work I would stick it on my second RAID array.

MS is always getting closer in regard to DRM, although there is always a get out of jail card round the corner.

W

Will

Just you don't need to learn how to mount drives and all that.

In fact, you can try it without installing, using Knoppix.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom