Crap University results :/

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Got my results back yesterday. Revised hard, went into all of them quite confident - some silly mistakes and some parts of questions I was umming and erring over but every paper completed, all questions attempted etc.

Anywho, fast forward to yesterday and I hit two ~40%'ers. I am devastated but also confused. The lady at the office tells me I have to wait till end of my last year for them to be re-moderated but I'm sitting here looking at the exam questions & I just don't fathom how I could score so low. It's an awful feeling because I invested about 6-8 weeks into revision and I went into the exams with a 2.1 average from my coursework, mid-season exams and so on.

Just needed somewhere to post. Parents don't understand the situation & don't understand how I am feeling - gutted, confused and actually quite afraid because if this is my set of marks when I work hard, revise hard and feel confident then how can I improve next year...

Of course university isn't the be all and end all but it feels like I've invested 2 years of my life into it & I'm about to reap a Pass rather than a grade worth going to uni for.

Himse

FH is my second home
Ouch. To be honest mate all I can say is perhaps change your revision techniques? Ask your lecture about the key points that are looked for in the answers to the questions?

You can do 6-8 weeks of revision, but if you dont actually answer the question properly, your knowledge is wasted.

By the sounds of it you're a pretty smart guy! So maybe do as I said, revise your exam question writing technique as well as your actual knowledge.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Dude, I feel for you. Only thing I can advise is get on the phone NOW. don't wait for anything. call any and everyone you can think of, lecturer, dean, whatever, and talk to them. be as open and frank as you can, but try and persevere for an explanation.

at the worst, at least your teachers will know you can talk to them in frank unopinionated language regarding your results.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Ah that sucks man :( Don't you get a chance to do resits? How come you have to wait so long for them to be remarked? Did everyone else get low marks too or was it just you?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
could you try to get your answer papers back then go through the paper with the relevant lecturers for some feedback about what you did wrong?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How are you graded overall? Is it an average across all subjects or is it like it was on my first degree where it was based on your 5th best mark (out of 10 subjects)? (Which I still think was a ridiculous idea). If its 5th best, its recoverable (I did a 40% in accountancy in my second year, felt like a total disaster at the time, but because it was based on 5th best I could effctively discard that result), if its average, its harder and I certainly think you should be trying to get feedback from your course tutors. I'd be surprised if they'll remark it, but at least you can get some decent advice on where you went wrong.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
School is for learning. Learn from mistakes and try not to repeat them. Don't get distraught by failure, everyone fails(except me 'cause i'm perfect obviously :p) and it's how you deal with the failure that matters. So chin up, hit the books(or whatever it is you kids say these days) and improve thune brain.

This isn't meant as mean as it sounds, but if at the very end of the day you're still not bringing in the bacon, it might just not be your area of expertise.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I always found marking at University very strange. I had essays that I spent hours and hours working on and got 50%, then had ones I blasted through in 2 hours and got 65-70% for :/.

That's English though I guess.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I always found marking at uni to be highly consistent. I knew what I was going to get on every piece of work I submitted. I did an English degree also.

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
Ah that sucks man :( Don't you get a chance to do resits? How come you have to wait so long for them to be remarked? Did everyone else get low marks too or was it just you?

If you do a resit (how it was at my uni anyway) you could not score above 40% which is the lowest mark, anything under is fail. That's the worst thing, had mates who failed or had to do resit and then you have to revise all over again however just cant go above that.. brings everything down.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Can't you resit this month?

I got screwed as well in A Levels (most of my class did due to one idiot teacher) . But don't worry about it, Uni is fucking useless these days, uni doesn't teach people how to make money. It just gets people a job if companys are looking for new grads and now you got no chance. Only good thing about a degree, it's easyer to get a Work Permit abroad ......

So chin up, relax, don't think too much about, clear mind, clear thoughts, high grades :p

Talivar

Part of the furniture
If its the first year of your degree then for many degrees the grades dont even count in 3rd and final year anyway.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Can't resit. Degree classification is mean based. 2.1 is possible provided I get a high 2.1 average next year as my other 3 module results were all fine (and roughly as I expected mark-wise).

Lovely lady at the office is doing a full clerical check for me next week & I am also going to meet my personal tutor to discuss all my options and to request the scripts back so I can go through them with the module leaders.

There are of course no excuses - I obviously did not work hard enough or push the topics to the depth required. But I just feel that the knowledge I displayed did not consitute a 'just pass.'

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It also depends on whether that knowledge was relevant to the question or subject. While not meaning to be a arsehole or anything, you have in the past shown a bit of a "know it all" attitude so maybe you didn't answer it correctly?

Anyway, chin up mate, there are worse things that can happen.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Aye it could well be Raven.

Anywho, this year was merely a set back. Time to rise and meet the challenge for the next. I'm not going to get knocked down this easy.

Ta for the comments all - enjoy your weekends!

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Like raven said structure and the structure on which points are awarded are as important as the information you revise.

Tough luck all the same :(

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Got my results back yesterday. Revised hard, went into all of them quite confident - some silly mistakes and some parts of questions I was umming and erring over but every paper completed, all questions attempted etc.

I don't understand this bit, just because every paper was completed and all questions attempted you should have done better than 40%?

Anywho, fast forward to yesterday and I hit two ~40%'ers. I am devastated but also confused. The lady at the office tells me I have to wait till end of my last year for them to be re-moderated but I'm sitting here looking at the exam questions & I just don't fathom how I could score so low. It's an awful feeling because I invested about 6-8 weeks into revision and I went into the exams with a 2.1 average from my coursework, mid-season exams and so on.

You invested 6-8 weeks on revision? Shouldn't you be investing your life at this moment in learning your subject matter? Are you learning anything or not?

Just needed somewhere to post. Parents don't understand the situation & don't understand how I am feeling - gutted, confused and actually quite afraid because if this is my set of marks when I work hard, revise hard and feel confident then how can I improve next year...

Of course university isn't the be all and end all but it feels like I've invested 2 years of my life into it & I'm about to reap a Pass rather than a grade worth going to uni for.

Find out where you went wrong. Talk to tutors, talk to other students who did well. Don't bleat on forums, work harder. No one is entitled to a good degree result. Especially for 'attempting all the questions' (see point one).

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Sorry to hear this, nothing to offer other than I know how it feels. I worked my arse off for a job, studied tough interview questions inside and out, then on the day just didn't nail it and didn't get offered the job.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I don't understand this bit, just because every paper was completed and all questions attempted you should have done better than 40%?

By completing the paper and being able to apply my knowledge to all questions I am simply saying that the marks I dropped must have been purely from the knowledge not being deep enough or another similair issue, as opposed to marks dropped simply from not knowing the answer/not attempting a question.

Gumbo said:
You invested 6-8 weeks on revision? Shouldn't you be investing your life at this moment in learning your subject matter? Are you learning anything or not?

I had an eight week block between my last lecture in term 2 and the beginning of my exams - this is the time in which I revised all of the content I had learnt during the year.

Gumbo said:
Don't bleat on forums, work harder. No one is entitled to a good degree result. Especially for 'attempting all the questions' (see point one).

Now I definitely know your trolling and to be honest, it isn't welcome. Hoping you won't make a re-entry into this thread. =/

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
LOL ITS YOUR OWN FAULT BUGZ!

ps. i dont mean it, hope you get a chance to make it up! <3

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Ignore Gumbo, everyone else does.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
It happens mate. I worked my ass off for my database exam and didn't pass. You'll get over it. I found my marking at university very consistent. What wasn't always consistent was the teaching quality. Some things we'd been taught was simply wrong, and when it came to the final year, one of our lectures had to teach us an entire year of foundation in 1 month, before we could proceed to that years topics.

What I found helped the most was answering previous exams papers and getting them marked by my lectures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom