University - a waste of time?

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
I failed in my quest and at 37 still occasionally dream of going and doing a physics degree just as an excuse to find myself in situations which would allow me to blow my load over the faces of as many pretty (and not so pretty) young things as my cockz0r would allow...

Mmm perky science geek birds.

Sign me up.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Don't get me wrong - I enjoy what I do at university, I do other things other than my course and I have averaged satisfactory marks so far.

But I just don't feel as though the whole setup maximizes the time and potential of people. I feel as though this is simply a pre-req to better things because that's how things work, as opposed to it being a pre-req because it is wholly essential.

Maybe this is just me being a giant fag and/or not quite adapting yet to university life or maybe I am simply not as academia-based as I may have originally thought.

taB

Part of the furniture
My dream job is to become a forest ranger but to do so would mean taking at least 3 years out to study countryside management, agriculture, wildlife management, conservation etc etc, all to get a job which doesn't pay anywhere near to what I get paid now (I didn't go to Uni) Maybe its possible to get in on some sort of apprenticeship but from what I have seen its pretty much diploma/degree only.

I, too, wish to do this.

I did a Lantra chainsaw course last year for a few days, bought some kit and have been clearing crap out of copses at weekends ready for replanting next year. It's very relaxing.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Maybe this is just me being a giant fag and/or not quite adapting yet to university life or maybe I am simply not as academia-based as I may have originally thought.

One way to find out; hang in there for longer and you'll find out.

If you don't feel any better later on, worst case scenario, you've wasted 6 months. Big whoop, 6 months means, in reality, f*ck all.

Atleast you'll know for sure before doing anything rash.

About the fag bit; suck a dick, find out in a second :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
These days places like Tesco are where graduates might want to look at you are fast tracked very quickly into a Line Manager role where 30k+bonus of up to another 10k a year after that the sky is the limit with that company.

You can become a Store Manager very quickly if you have the right mindset where crazy wages start coming into play people might laugh when you say you work at Tesco but these days Tesco is no thing to laugh at in my opinion a good friend is a Store Manager and sweet jesus his wages and bonus's are eye watering.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you are willing to sell your soul to the gods of retail then yes, it's a good move. Just don't expect much of a life until you reach the dizzy heights of store manager (which in big supermarkets takes a fair while). The money is good, but the hours are ridiculous.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What's eye-watering and "crazy" to you Aada?

Not being funny, but if you're on 40k you're only just hitting higher-rate taxpayer status. It's a good salary in the scheme of things but it's not that high.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You are looking at between 40k -80k + for a supermarket store manager Scouse, and they have very little involvement on the shop floor -not just a glorified shelf filler. Good bonus's too. Like I said, it's a long hard road to that level though, and not worth it if you can work in any other field.

Not a massive salary, but certainly comfortable for middle class living.

Aada

Part of the furniture
What's eye-watering and "crazy" to you Aada?

Not being funny, but if you're on 40k you're only just hitting higher-rate taxpayer status. It's a good salary in the scheme of things but it's not that high.

My friend is on around 105k a year his bonus's can be anything up to 30k.

He got to store manager within 7 years joined as a shelf stacker the hours aren't long Ch3t standard 8 hour shift obviously your shifts won't be 9-5 all the time.

In this day and age Tesco is a pretty good company to work for in my opinion.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Not as a store manager they aren't true, there is an expectation with supermarkets that if you want to progress then you give all your waking hours to the company until you get to that level. Ignore any HR fluff to attract graduates etc, that is the reality of retail.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You are looking at between 40k -80k + for a supermarket store manager Scouse, and they have very little involvement on the shop floor -not just a glorified shelf filler. Good bonus's too. Like I said, it's a long hard road to that level though, and not worth it if you can work in any other field.

Not a massive salary, but certainly comfortable for middle class living.

Two highest store manager salaries in retail? Aldi and Phones4U. Two worst places to work in retail? Aldi and Phones4U.

Personally I think store operations in any retailer is fucking hard work for relatively little reward compared to the hours you put in. The best retail jobs are all in head office; buying, marketing and online are all way more interesting imho (and you don't have to deal with all those grubby "customers"*). I enjoyed my time in retail a lot, but that's because I wasn't opening up for pallet deliveries at 4AM and dealing with Chantal the shelf-stacker's unwanted pregnancy/drug habit/violent boyfriend/shoplifting family.

*not actually true, online had to deal with customers all the time, usually if we'd make a fuck up.

Aada

Part of the furniture
No doubt you probably have to do a few extra shifts but you don't get anywhere without hard work.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
a few is an understatement, nearly all my close friends worked for supermarkets doing the management road. I did the same (albiet not at a supermarket). If you have any alternative, take it. Retail is hell. The pay-off at the end is not worth the hours you put in on the way. You work to live, not live to work.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
a few is an understatement, nearly all my close friends worked for supermarkets doing the management road. I did the same (albiet not at a supermarket). If you have any alternative, take it. Retail is hell. The pay-off at the end is not worth the hours you put in on the way. You work to live, not live to work.

And even if you do live to work, there are more lucrative places to do it than in retail.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Two highest store manager salaries in retail? Aldi and Phones4U. Two worst places to work in retail? Aldi and Phones4U.

My brother in law is a manager at an Aldi store and loves it, says they are a great company to work for. Though he went in as a graduate.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

That depends though, if you love the job you do then it's well worth it.

And even if you don't particulary love it, you live to work so you can live in comfort. Much like studying so you don't have to scrub toilets.

Fact is; there's no right or wrong way to live your life, it's your way. If you don't want to do x, don't do it, if you want, do it, if you can live with the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom