University - a waste of time?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'm starting to regret my decision to go to uni. I may as well self-study this stuff, not get the degree but still have the same knowledge. Everything is off my own back anyway.

One of my lecturers' officer hours are during my other lecture hours so I can't reach her. The problems she gives out use broken english and I get 2 days after learning the content to go through the problems before I hand them in. I can't learn the content beforehand as she misses really big steps of the algebra so you end up totally confused. The topic we're doing at the moment is not in the recommended textbook.

I go in for 2-3 lectures a day. The library is full and it's a long wait for a computer. I don't like the atmosphere either, though I feel that is just me being a twat. My lectures are spaced such that I have to wait 2-5 hours between them sometimes. My classes are hit and miss. I have had some fantastic research students hold amazing seminars. I've had some total flops.

It all feels so inefficient.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well you're paying for it, and you're complaining to the wrong people.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
I found the most important part of Uni was the social and indepence skills i learned, as cliche as it sounds I really "grew up" at Uni and don't regret it in the slightest.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Count yourself lucky tbh, my parents didn't even let me go to college.

rynnor

Rockhound
Are you living off campus or at home or something?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you don't want to do it, don't. It's quite simple, your life, your choice.

If you have doubts, talk through them with university councelors or some such(which more then not are biased to keep you there, don't be fooled). Or talk them through with the GF, wife, mother, father, sister, anyone else but complete strangers over the internet.

As a point to stay; You're there for the piece of paper saying you know sh*t, anyone can learn anything by themselves, but it's no proof that you know it.

If you don't want to do it and it has NO use to you, then yes, it's a waste of time.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
If academia is your thing then I would recommened anyone go to university.

The thing is that a degree simply isn't worth what they were. It may be a bit of a generalization too, but it seems to me that degrees are also too easy now. I have two BSc's and an MSc and the difference between my last degree and my first was startling. I start my PHd next year and the work I do means that I will achieve that in under two years, whereas ten years ago that PHd would have taken four years minimum.

In a recession employers usually have a huge amount of choice when appointing a posistion and I would say that a degree is purely secondary - a degree with work experience is obviously ideal, but work experience in that is probably going to be more important. Personally I would employ someone with three or four years on the job experience over someone with a degree any day.

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
I was a really good student at school but i wanted to have money in my pocket so i choose to start a work instead of go to university.

It's really the biggest fault that i have ever done.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Also what comes to play, which many forget, is that it all depends on your life goals(if any) and how you view your life as a success.

I for one don't care about academic success, career, fast cars, fancy house or even a family thing, so ofcourse by some peoples standard i would be, to put it internetly, "full of fail". I don't see my life as such though and all that matters is how you see yourself.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Personally I would employ someone with three or four years on the job experience over someone with a degree any day.

But then again you're statistically more likely to employ someone with three or four years on the job experience and a degree, than someone without. This is a simple fact; even with oversupply, the average graduate will earn more over the lifetime of their career than someone without. Plus, if you ever want to work abroad, a degree is a big help (unless you're doing some in-demand trade, which kind of ebbs and flows depending on the trade).

The trick with a university education is sadly the same as its always been; for the most part its not what you do, its where you go.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
But then again you're statistically more likely to employ someone with three or four years on the job experience and a degree, than someone without. This is a simple fact; even with oversupply, the average graduate will earn more over the lifetime of their career than someone without. Plus, if you ever want to work abroad, a degree is a big help (unless you're doing some in-demand trade, which kind of ebbs and flows depending on the trade).

The trick with a university education is sadly the same as its always been; for the most part its not what you do, its where you go.

Thats true, but having said that it is possible to have a fantastic career without having gone to Uni by simply relying on work placed training. For example a friend of mine is a Barrister - he left school at 16 and got a job in a local magistrates court as a filing clerk. He took every training opportunity that was given to him and was rewarded with the academic equivalent of a 2:1 degree, but never formally attended Uni. At the age of 40 he is one of the top barristers in his area and make more than £250,000 per year. He was also recently asked to apply for a job as a Judge, which at 40 is no small thing.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I would also add that their is now a rediculous expectancy for most jobs to have some form of degree now. I'm sorry, but being a good landscape gardener for example should not rely on your academic performance. It is just plain silly.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
What Uni are you at? I think if you come from full time education and expect to have a school like structure at Uni, then you will be a bit shocked.

DaGaffer

Thats true, but having said that it is possible to have a fantastic career without having gone to Uni by simply relying on work placed training. For example a friend of mine is a Barrister - he left school at 16 and got a job in a local magistrates court as a filing clerk. He took every training opportunity that was given to him and was rewarded with the academic equivalent of a 2:1 degree, but never formally attended Uni. At the age of 40 he is one of the top barristers in his area and make more than £250,000 per year. He was also recently asked to apply for a job as a Judge, which at 40 is no small thing.

But he's the exception isn't he? No-one's saying you can't be a success without a degree, but on average, a degree gives you a leg-up over the course of your career NB. Certain professions have internal qualifications that are degree-or-better equivalents, law being one of them, but to use an Irish phrase, those are hard yards. Holding down a job and pursuing qualifications may give you a few more quid in the bank in the short run, but its a shitload more effort, and Uni gives you more than that, although I admit with the amount of debt students now carry, that argument is getting harder to make all the time.

Having done the work/part time study thing and full time uni, I know which I'd pick.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Its funny how many people I talk to, have done very well without going to Uni. Just by working hard and taking the right opportunities they have succeed. Not saying you shouldn't go to Uni, but not going is not the dead end, teachers would let you believe. Though sometimes Uni can screw things up, my dad sometimes employs people with degrees in construction and has had to re-teach them to build simple things like a straight wall or lay bricks properly, because the Uni has taught them threw diagrams and theories and no practical.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you want to do for a profession in your life and what is the best way of getting there that plays on your strengths. For example there was no point in me going to Uni as I don't do well in exams and learning that way is largely inefficient for me, as I tend to pick things up through practical application. I am currently training to be a Building Services Engineer at my current job and its all hands on and I am picking it up very quickly.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
But he's the exception isn't he? No-one's saying you can't be a success without a degree, but on average, a degree gives you a leg-up over the course of your career NB. Certain professions have internal qualifications that are degree-or-better equivalents, law being one of them, but to use an Irish phrase, those are hard yards. Holding down a job and pursuing qualifications may give you a few more quid in the bank in the short run, but its a shitload more effort, and Uni gives you more than that, although I admit with the amount of debt students now carry, that argument is getting harder to make all the time.

Having done the work/part time study thing and full time uni, I know which I'd pick.

Yeah I agree to an extent, but the extent to which employers now expect a degree is just rediculous. Many people simply don't excel academically, but that is often no reflection on intelligence or the ability to do a specific job.

I saw an advert recently for a Park Warden, whose role was to look after a fairly large council run public park in the area with management of four members of staff. A 2:1 or better was expected in Environmental Services or some such nonsense and a willingness to take on the "More Than Management" training course upon employment. Obviously getting four people to cut some grass, pick up some litter and trim some trees is an extremely academic process these days.

And then there are these micky mouse degree's. Forget student fee's for a minute, the tax payer is still paying a lot towards these degrees - things like Outdoor Adventure and Philosphy and Sci-fi and literature. How about a degree in Aromatherapy? Please!

There was a time when degree's actually meant something. They were hard to do and required some effort. For the most part, those days are long gone unless you are doing a classic degree. Even then there is no guaruntee of work at the end of them.

DaGaffer

There was a time when degree's actually meant something. They were hard to do and required some effort. For the most part, those days are long gone unless you are doing a classic degree. Even then there is no guaruntee of work at the end of them.

There is if you go to the right Uni. That's what I was saying earlier, better to do an irrelevant degree at a good uni than a relevant one at an also-ran. My ex-wife turned down a place at Oxford doing French literature and chose Salford doing Languages and Marketing instead, because she confused relevance with employment prospects (as you do, when you're 18 and therefore an idiot. My brother did something similar). French Literature is useless in practical terms, but she'd still have been ultimately better off doing it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I saw an advert recently for a Park Warden, whose role was to look after a fairly large council run public park in the area with management of four members of staff. A 2:1 or better was expected in Environmental Services or some such nonsense and a willingness to take on the "More Than Management" training course upon employment. Obviously getting four people to cut some grass, pick up some litter and trim some trees is an extremely academic process these days.

There is a lot more to it than that. Depending on the area the warden would need to know about wildlife management, environmental stuff etc etc.

My dream job is to become a forest ranger but to do so would mean taking at least 3 years out to study countryside management, agriculture, wildlife management, conservation etc etc, all to get a job which doesn't pay anywhere near to what I get paid now (I didn't go to Uni) Maybe its possible to get in on some sort of apprenticeship but from what I have seen its pretty much diploma/degree only.

That's what I would call a practical degree, in the same way economics, Media studies (assuming you actually want a job in the media, not a 3 year jolly) Accountancy etc etc are practical and could well be applied to jobs in the "real world" Obviously choosing a degree to suit your chosen career path is the best option. I don't really see the point in doing media studies for example, if you don't want to work in the media.

Far too many kids just get any old degree and expect to walk out on at least 30k, it's just not going to happen.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
"it is against company policy to hire non graduates"

And such likes (you gotta wonder who they have doing there admin)

Its a sad fact that people in recruitment for "big" business often view a degree it as a requirement.

Its not fair or right but its just the way it is.

Its all about displaying proof of your ability to study at a certain level, as others here have said.

Get a 2:1 or a 1st and try to get your foot in graduate recruitment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The topic we're doing at the moment is not in the recommended textbook.

So buy another textbook? :)

Sorry to break it to you, but University is mostly about teaching yourself.

As for dropping out and retaining the useful knowledge - it means dick unless you can prove you have that knowledge.

If you're unhappy and transferring this onto the course then my advice would be to join a few social groups - keeps you busy and helps you in what really should be your quest to shag as many women as is physically possible for a human being to do so.

I failed in my quest and at 37 still occasionally dream of going and doing a physics degree just as an excuse to find myself in situations which would allow me to blow my load over the faces of as many pretty (and not so pretty) young things as my cockz0r would allow...

:)

Edit: As for it being "unfair" that some companies want a degree at minimum. I disagree. It's definately a prejudice - but the amount of knuckle draggers that successfully manage to stick it out and get a degree are farrrr outnumbered by those who dropped out or never even made it.

If you want a working environment where you can talk to people and not have to be exposed to the real retards of this world then stipulating a degree as a minimum is a good tool to help achieve this.

You may be the best person in the world at the job you want to do for them, but companies would rather take a risk on someone who can *prove* they've the mental capacity. People who've been through University tend to be a bit more open minded and pleasant to be with 'cause of this capacity. If you can't stick Uni out, despite the ease of degrees nowadays, it says more about your personality than anything else IMO.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
There is a lot more to it than that. Depending on the area the warden would need to know about wildlife management, environmental stuff etc etc.

My dream job is to become a forest ranger but to do so would mean taking at least 3 years out to study countryside management, agriculture, wildlife management, conservation etc etc, all to get a job which doesn't pay anywhere near to what I get paid now (I didn't go to Uni) Maybe its possible to get in on some sort of apprenticeship but from what I have seen its pretty much diploma/degree only.

That's what I would call a practical degree, in the same way economics, Media studies (assuming you actually want a job in the media, not a 3 year jolly) Accountancy etc etc are practical and could well be applied to jobs in the "real world" Obviously choosing a degree to suit your chosen career path is the best option. I don't really see the point in doing media studies for example, if you don't want to work in the media.

Far too many kids just get any old degree and expect to walk out on at least 30k, it's just not going to happen.

You are right, there is a lot more to it and I shouldn't have trivialised it, but bottom line is that a degree to do that job shouldn't be necessary. On the job training should be available and it should be available to people with relavent experience and they shouldn't be excluded from applying because they haven't done some pisspot degree that is only vaguely related to the job at hand.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Good point there;

Think the problem isn't the strain of uni, it's the strain of no... strainge.

You need to drink more and hump more, get some good hangovers, steal some weird streetsigns, do stupid stuff with your friends and then alianate them 'cause you went too far and all in all, act like a student :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
It sounds more like a shit uni than uni being shit in general.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
bugz, you do economics don't you?

Two of my cousins did that and now are both well off working for investment banks. One graduated this year, one last. Both got jobs within a few months, it was not easy, and a degree was essential.

If that is your career path then you'll need that degree, they also both did gap years which paid them well and got them lots of contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom