Ummmmm

A

adslrizla

This is a bug ridden pile of shit. It is quite possibly worse than Elite2 and that is really saying something!

Hells bells I thought PS was bad but this is in a whole different dimension - tried to dock with the n00bs station tonight after doing it 20+ times quite happily. Result? My char does exist but has no ability to train any skill or in fact control the craft - very funny eh?

My only consolation is that I'm not paying for this (long story) - my sympathies to those of you who are :(

This is utter junk - I do hope they get it together though (although what I've heard and seen suggests that is unlikely).

:(

A

adslrizla

After logging on today I find my character did in fact dock - which is kinda odd as when I quit last night the ship was heading off to god knows where at 240m/s :D Logging out and back in last night did no good at all so I dunno what happened since then, but it was OK at 10am today.....

I can see this becoming very bloody annoying if it's a recurring thing.

S

Scouse

The crackling sound bug that's plaguing some people (me included) is f00king annoying too...

...it'll get this month plus 1 month's subscription - after that - if it's not 99% sorted then I'm pulling out...

A

adslrizla

Well apart from a couple of CTDs (during warp) today has been fairly good.

Got my Imi - the market crashed in these today. Sadly I paid 145k for mine and 15 mins later (and a jump away) they were going for 70k :(

Ah well I had been saving for an Incursus - and thanks to the cheap Imi and some expanded cargo space I'm nearly back up there again :clap:

Things do seem to get a bit sluggish at around 8-9pm though :(

J

Jonaldo

Well generally things don't run 100% smoothly in the first few weeks a game is released. I've not had any of the troubles most people complain about (characters getting stuck, huge lag, sound bugs etc) so I guess I've just been lucky.

Will remain to see whether this is the MMOG for me, what with Planetside coming out this week and SW:G later this year. I still wouldn't describe it as a 'bug ridden pile of S**t' or 'utter junk' though.

A

adslrizla

Perhaps you might if you had experienced the problems that others have had. People like you saying "Well generally things don't run 100% smoothly in the first few weeks a game is released" are actually part of the problem - you encourage developers to take the "release it now, fix it later" approach. People should start taking a different attitude - especially with P2P games - and just not buy the product. Sure, nothing is bug-free but you at least catch the "show-stoppers". Eg - I checked out PS on the last day of "beta" and not one of the 8 bugs I reported had been fixed. Two were minor (and very easily fixed) but the others ranged from getting stuck under the map to dropping straight through the roof of a base to being invisible as a MAX (or any other character/vehicle). Loads of people had reported these bugs - but the devs didn't bother fixing them. Couple that with the serious limitations in gameplay and I decided that I'd pass on this game for a few months.

I wasn't on the beta for this but people who were have told me that warping has always been bugged. The advice I've had (which seems to work) is don't click on anything at all while warping and you should be OK. Oh and the bug I experienced where you couldn't control your ship isn't anything new either (apparently).

Is this game worth getting? Probably. Is it worth paying each month for it? I'm not sure, we'll have to wait and see.....

J

Johnny Bravo

What you have to realise in todays world of gaming is the developers work their socks off, usually doing 18-20 hours a day as a game nears completion. They have put alot of time and effort into their product, but ultimately it is the publisher that is pulling all the strings.

No game hits the shelf without a publisher, they put money into the developers and then expect to see an immediate return for their investment, and with small, new developers like CCP the publisher holds all the aces. I am sure CCP would have liked to wait a month or two more before releasing Eve, but the publisher wanted to see some money coming in and forced its release (same as a lot of other games).

CCP are still working their socks off to correct everything reported, but you can imagine the amount of petitions and bug reports they have to sift through each and every day.

If poeple aren't ready to accept they may hit a bug occasionaly in a game universe the size of eve, and that the bug may stop them enjoying the game, then they are probably better off waiting a few months and trying it out then.

BTW...Eve hasn't even officially been released in UK yet, GAME managed to get it early but you won't find it any other store just yet.

S

Scouse

If poeple aren't ready to accept they may hit a bug occasionaly in a game universe the size of eve, and that the bug may stop them enjoying the game, then they are probably better off waiting a few months and trying it out then.

Maybe. But a crackling sound bug that means I (and many others) have to restart the game every 15-20 mins on a very common motherboard (nforce2) should have been sorted by now (it has been very widely reported)...

The game itself rocks IMHO but it's almost as buggy as a Dave Georgeson title (*cough* Tribes2 *cough* Planetside *cough*)

:(

W

whipped

I've got an Nforce 2 board and have had no problems with sound. Are you using the onboard sound though?

Also, sometimes the developers can't fix things like that. It requires an updated driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Given the wide diversity of PC hardware, it's a wonder that anything works. Ever.

T

Tom

It works very nicely for me. Sure, there are some minor bugs, but the only thing atm that spoils my enjoyment of the game is the lag when you warp into a belt with pirates, and that's just because my computer is a bit slow.

E

Embattle

I get crackerling sound, i too have an nForce2 based mobo with onboard sound.

N

Neural Network

I have no problems with the sound at all 'cause I got Winamp playing instead.

A

AbPoon

Corp wallet stands at over 45 Million ISK between 9 people atm, made 3 Blackbird cruisers in a 15 million ISk loan deal for 7 days with a ship building company, game rocks imo its what frontire elite should have been.

Basicly to enjoy it you have to think for your money, providing loans, manufacture, trading (Zy and mega sells for 0.9x npc prices when we are based as its hard to get rid of, buying a few thousend isk make 20 jumps and youve made yer cash) or mining if your depserate just make sure you find te correct prices.

As for bugs yeah theres some, noticed alot more in 1002 but most have been stamped down v quick patching at game start was rapid, pirates needed pumping as you shouldnt be able to get into 0.1 space in an Iblis, bp bug fixed and contacts tab made 100x more usfull so the improvments are coming in rapidly and if nothing else CCP are really working more rapid then Mythic or the EQ team ever did at game launch.

Yes i have a problem with a char being locked half way in a station, 6 hours later GM contacted me ingame (Ingame support being more rare now then it was) free'd my char waited for me to take him out the station, got stuck again as it was the ship that was bugged so right away he unstuck him and i was sorted, i cant say i had any probs with that at all, Lag? on 1 mbit cable and when servers not been just patched etc lag is 0 and seeing as Eve uses bandwidth so well i can run Emule at the same time.

The main thing with Eve is alot of people cannot adapt to the play system, playing more might net you more cash but your skills wont train faster, you cannot choose a "fighter" class and hit a mob with a pointy stick for xp and gain lvls faster then people who work by playing for 23 hours a day and to make the big money and advance far you need

1) A Corp
2) At least half a brain
3) An attention span of more then 15 minutes

Eve is not easy going but if you give it a chance it really sucks you in, bugs are being reduced every patch and so i really cant see it being bug ridden in little more then a month.

With how massive Eve is and with the vision of what CCP wanted and how close Eve really is to it i'd have expected more bugs and i am happy with what work has been done so far, they did make a mistake with the last patch but as it was a bug that needed a player load of +1000 and it corrupted peoples chars there would have been more whinging if they would of left it till the week to patch like most companys would of done.

All i can say is at least give Eve your full month then relook at whats happened over the month, from what i've seen its worth sticking with and if you stop playing after a week youve just lost £30 anyway as you get a free month so your just spiting yourself.

A

adslrizla

BTW...Eve hasn't even officially been released in UK yet, GAME managed to get it early but you won't find it any other store just yet.

Stop pimping eh? Some of us are trying to have a serious chat about this game. Yes we all know you have the exclusive on it - so stop now eh? Alternatively these forums can go "corporate" - ie dead apart from the fanboys which will benefit who exactly?

There have been broadcasted alerts about two systems today - fine if you saw them in time, not fine if you didn't.

Nothing is bug-free but I see people being more and more willing to accept what I'd call "show-stopper" bugs when a game releases. Maybe it's just me that thinks that with a P2P game you shouldn't have to wait hours/days to get your character back? Eve is better than most in this respect as it's not too "US-centric" but we'll have to see....

Anyway - stop the pimping JD eh? :D

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by adslrizla
Stop pimping eh? Some of us are trying to have a serious chat about this game. Yes we all know you have the exclusive on it - so stop now eh? Alternatively these forums can go "corporate" - ie dead apart from the fanboys which will benefit who exactly?

To have any kind of serious discussion do you not need to hear both sides of the story?

If we're not allowed to say we actually enjoy the game I really don't think the discussion will achieve much.

J

Johnny Bravo

ROFL....I am not associated in any way, shape or form with either Game stores, Game.net or Barrysworld so how in the hell am I pimping anything :rolleyes:

My comment about Game store exclusive was meant to show that there has not yet been a nationwide release within the UK, and as bug fixes are being made by CCP on a regular basis then by the time the game is available in all stores alot of the current bug issues would have been resolved.

As Omni says, I was adding my opinion to your "serious chat", and my opinion is that the game was probably released a little too early, but the blame for that lies with the publishers not CCP who are working their butts off to make sure everyone is happy.

Also reading the official Eve forums, it appears the majority of people with locked characters was due to them using the bookmarked container work around to warp closer to stations and roid fields, whilst it is not right that they should suffer with a locked character at least the bug has been identified and is now being dealt with.

As I've already been accused, please ignore the following if offensive....
[PIMP]
Bounty Hunters Guild are now recruiting
[/PIMP]

:p :D

X

Xtro

He's got Jonny Bravo mixed up with Jonny Darko who is a Game.net employee who uses these boards...dum de dum :)

A

adslrizla

Indeed I did and I offer my humble apologies to Johnny Bravo. I can only blame the beer consumed while watching Celtic getting beaten by those diving wan.. ah - no swearing wanted :D

To address some of the rest of the points in this thread :

1) Yes the game is enjoyable - so what? If it wasn't then none of us would be looking in this forum :)

2) If you haven't suffered from the bugs then you are in no position to comment on them or the way they affect people's perception of the game.

Let's take this morning between 10:30 and 11:30 as a "snapshot" of the game shall we?

My experience : disconnected 5 times; stuck training a skill (stayed on imminent for at least an hour); no control over ship twice and one of the agent missions failed despite me fulfilling all the requirements.

Now the channel I was in : 6 people out of 19 with "stuck" characters (happened during this timeframe); one person who can only get a picture of a DNA helix and a 3D woman once they've logged in (oh and the chatbox); three people like me getting disconnected (it moans about another session being present first) and one other person who's "stuck" on training a skill.

When the game works it's rather nice however there are far too many "show-stopping" bugs that screw up your character. These need sorting out fast! Who wants to go back and start again eh?

PS - a workaround I've found for the bug that leaves you on "imminent" completion of a skill is to go buy a new skill and train that. You'll get a warning about losing the "stuck skill" but you don't. This seems to be the only way of sorting it as you can't train an existing skill to the next level and (from what I'm told) nobody has ever received a reply to a petition on this issue :(

J

Johnny Bravo

No Problem adslrizla, easy mistake and a real shame about Celtic :(

It certainly sounds like you have got the rough end of the stick, I haven't played today but spent most of yesterday playing. I have also been playing now for a week and a half. So far I have hit 2 bugs, the first crashed me back to desktop and if I remember rightly was probably down to the warp to a non existant container bookmark problem that is now being investigated.

When this happened I still crashed back to desktop when I rebooted, but after 3 attempts it was all up and running again, the only other problem I have encountered is the same Training Completion Immenent problem, however I found a relog fixed this.

I am not posting to brag or to belittle your problems, but it just shows how wide and varied peoples issues with bugs are, you are experiencing hell, while I seem to have had it easy. Multiply this by the 5000 or so users and i am sure CCP are having a very busy time.

As you say it s a great game that has got me hooked beyond belief, not since the great Elite has a game got me thinking, dreaming and wanting to play every waking moment....quite embarrassing for a man my age ;) :D

Anyway, heres hoping CCP get on the case and these problems get resolved as soon as possible.

N

Neural Network

I’ve also tried a login and getting the entire control panel up, but the only the thing I see is a blue screen with the upper half of a blue bald woman circling around. I could still twist and turn the view on this woman like I’m able to with my spaceship, but sadly she was missing her body from the shoulders and down. :(
The problem went away after the server downtime.

A

adslrizla

My god you have an op amp as an avatar :D

/me boggles

A

adslrizla

Johnny - I wouldn't say it's hell but it is getting increasingly annoying. My rough "snapshot" of the channel I was in had nearly 40% of people suffering some sort of non-trivial problem - that I'm afraid constitutes "bug ridden" to me :)

A

adslrizla

Oh wonderful - now it won't connect at all. Gives a "Proxy not connected" error :rolleyes:

T

Tom

Oh wonderful - now it won't connect at all. Gives a "Proxy not connected" error :rolleyes:

That was a hardware failure

A

adslrizla

Yep - I'm in now.

It would be nice if the error messages made a bit more sense tho - I'm sure they do for those of you that were on the beta, but for me a "Proxy not connected" doesn't really tell me anything at all. After trawling the (atrociously slow) eve website it made sense.

Hard one I guess as if they put more techie info in then the average customer won't have a clue.

As an aside what nutter decided to put the servers in Iceland for god's sake? :rolleyes:

A

AbPoon

Count your blessings, ShadowBane servers are in the US

T

Tom

I've noticed whenever tranquility is down, its near-impossible to get on the eve site.

The forums are even worse. They obviously need more capacity, 3000 people on a forum should be ok, shouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom