UK Catacombs Official update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
3: Related to the above point, we are working on a contingency plan to allow us to keep our promise to you whereby the expansion will be available for the 25th. The final details are still being worked out however there will be news about this on our official website tomorrow morning. As things stand we are trying our very hardest to make sure that English players are able to get hold of the expansion on the date that we advertised in the news.

I assume You mean all players on English servers!
Not just those living in UK.

Ttillub said:

Just us bumpkins in the UK apparently :( quite silly how we cant play catas on our own servers where as other people from around europe can :( i swear the next expansion pack to come out ill brake in and steal it off you! *shakes fist at monitor*

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
If that statement means only UK players then you are in better position than most of us :/
GOA promised that I would have the box delivered on my door at release day.
I do not live in UK but I still think that promise should be kept. There was no limitations about where you live in that promise.

Shadoo

Fledgling Freddie
a contingency plan eh? sounds interesting, i want catas ne way, i was looking around barrows and saw the door to the id, and i got my self stuck in it!

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Ttillub said:
The issues should only affect players in the UK or those living in countries which are supplied by UK distributors - for example the Netherlands. Scandinavian and other European players should have retail stocks available already.
In any case the solution we are putting in place will be equally available to all players regardless of location.

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
hmm..

Requiel said:
The issues should only affect players in the UK or those living in countries which are supplied by UK distributors - for example the Netherlands. Scandinavian and other European players should have retail stocks available already.
In any case the solution we are putting in place will be equally available to all players regardless of location.

It's probably a subscription to world of warcraft...

[Only kidding only kidding.....]

semanon

Fledgling Freddie
IS there anyscope for GOA to sell their own updates. SOE seem to do it ok.

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

I thank You for that.
Problem here in Finland and many other countries is that GOA's delivery was so late that retail shops got boxes today and because of that mail deliveries are on customers next tuesday earliest.

Zlugugg Benvis

One of Freddy's beloved
Not many in sweden have the game either ... GAME and EBGames (two big gamestore chains here dont have it) ... The only one I heard had it was Webhallen who got way to few copies =(.

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to hear theres a contingency plan :)

I hope it's online purchase and D/L personally, I heard ages ago that the only reason they (and many other companies) don't do this is through part of their deal with the publishers, as it would obviously decrease the publishers revenue. What I've never understood is why they can't simply charge the same price as retail, let us download it, and give the same cut to the publishers as they would make in profits anyhow. Ofc theres server bandwidth to consider, but I'm sure the extra sales would easily cover it, hell they could even charge £1 extra for online purchase (which would easily cover it) and pocket it, many people would still opt for it for simplicities sake.

lairiodd

Loyal Freddie
Void959 said:
Nice to hear theres a contingency plan :)

I hope it's online purchase and D/L personally, I heard ages ago that the only reason they (and many other companies) don't do this is through part of their deal with the publishers, as it would obviously decrease the publishers revenue. What I've never understood is why they can't simply charge the same price as retail, let us download it, and give the same cut to the publishers as they would make in profits anyhow. Ofc theres server bandwidth to consider, but I'm sure the extra sales would easily cover it, hell they could even charge £1 extra for online purchase (which would easily cover it) and pocket it, many people would still opt for it for simplicities sake.

There is the issue of which distributor to send the money to :). If you download, how do they know where you live and thus who would have obtained your money.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Lol, if you download it, the publishers can whistle sweet dixie for their cash.

It's a little thing called COMPETITION and they lose out.

How anyone can have an agreement to keep themselves in a position to extor......oh yeah its called EXTORTION!!

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
the only way goa can offer it is with a download of catacombs and a temporary catacombs key e.g. two weeks 9 or a generic 2 week key for everyone). although i heard catacombs is 3.5gb download :( so might take a few days anyway to do it :(

basically GoA screwed up, you can blame whoever you like but they own the rights to it in europe, and now they are trying to fix the problem. It is another nail in the coffin for GoA, but they are trying to make the best of a bad problem.

:m00:

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:

How anyone can have an agreement to keep themselves in a position to extor......oh yeah its called EXTORTION!!

with a tempoary catacombs key, you will still have to buy the box and the distributors get there cut, its just a bit later then normal.

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
scorge said:
the only way goa can offer it is with a download of catacombs and a temporary catacombs key e.g. two weeks 9 or a generic 2 week key for everyone). although i heard catacombs is 3.5gb download :( so might take a few days anyway to do it :(

basically GoA screwed up, you can blame whoever you like but they own the rights to it in europe, and now they are trying to fix the problem. It is another nail in the coffin for GoA, but they are trying to make the best of a bad problem.

A complete download using just the camelot.exe and a valid update.dat is, according to my patcher, 2331mb, plus or minus a few k.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Went into Game earlier this week, it wasn't even on their list of upcoming releases.

Apologies if I've missed something somewhere else and perhaps Game aren't stocking or this particular outlet had cocked up but I just shook my head, thanked the manager and went about the rest of my shopping that day.

lairiodd

Loyal Freddie
Job said:

I understand what I was responding to was:

What I've never understood is why they can't simply charge the same price as retail, let us download it, and give the same cut to the publishers as they would make in profits anyhow

Looking at a hosting site, it comes up at around EUR 3 per GB. This means that a 3GB download would cost GOA EUR 9 per person who downloads it. The retail price is around EUR 20. This means that 50% of the price would be lost for bandwidth. Wholesale bandwidth is probably cheaper, so maybe EUR 5 for the bandwidth ... still a large portion of the cost.

A better way might be to use something like bit torrent. You would still need to

- download the patcher directly from GOA
- download a digital signature for each of the files from GOA

All the other files would be p2p downloaded and verified by the digital signature. This would all be handled by the patcher.

This means you don't end up with hacked files (or just corrupted files) while at the same time removing the strain on GOA's bandwidth as only a few people need to download directly from GOA, the rest download from other users.

If this was combined with slow downloads for the last month of all the graphics files (as they don't need to be translated), then even 56k connections could probably handle it. These would be background (say 5k bandwidth used max) downloads while the person is playing.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
isn't goa a subsidury of france telecom so therefore bandwidth shouldn't be a problem :p

tallwiz

Fledgling Freddie
cant stress this enough.... most peeps would take ages downloading it guys...

this isnt GOA's fault... the release date i mean...

and yes, game dont stock it, they despise DAOC.
but seen how many tacky, low grade games they got on their shelves?
say no more

daoc is quality... shouldnt need advertising unlike the cartoon graphix of WOW that need as much advertising as poss just to shift the back log of copies they ordered lol

i have come to terms with not being able to play cata until 1st april guys n gals, give GOA a break. im sure they have thought of everything everyone is coming up with here, and more.... UK laws suck to high heaven anyway, we always get screwed over, so just swallow it with a pinch of salt, play the game as normal until the parcel drops thru ya door like i am doing....

ok, the rest of EU have a weeks head start, not GOA's fault, go put a picket line outside every Game store till 1st april in my honest opinion... with plaquards saying *WE WANT DAOC* and *RELEASE DATES IN UK SUX ASS* etc.....

there ya go, got my 5 pennies worth that time eh eh

have fun peeps

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
The Thing that Pisses me off most tho is

1. I ordered Catacombs through Play.com.
2. Reason I ordered it from there was because Daoc OFFICIAL Web page directed me there from they BUY Icon.
3. I Assumed I Would get this Expansion on the very day it was released as Goa were promoting Play to sell they copies of Catacombs.

You would of thought that any 1 Buying they copy from Play WHO were directed there By GOA would be now be able to play this Game Expansion.

Really what the Fck went wrong there I would like to know especially if Goa were using Play as they direct Wholesaler from they Site.

Soulja

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Just so you know with your TOA client, the total catacombs downloads is 923mb.

I dl it earlier via the US patcher and re-patched to euro server now.

Just need CD keys and i'm away.

So if GOA do a temporary key, most should be able to dl catas over a couple of days at slower dl speeds s, I've even downloaded a 500mb file on 56k it is doable.

I know a large dl isn't ideal but means we can get up and running faster than waiting until the 1/04/05

Eble

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
tallwiz said:
cant stress this enough.... most peeps would take ages downloading it guys...

this isnt GOA's fault... the release date i mean...

and yes, game dont stock it, they despise DAOC.
but seen how many tacky, low grade games they got on their shelves?
say no more

daoc is quality... shouldnt need advertising unlike the cartoon graphix of WOW that need as much advertising as poss just to shift the back log of copies they ordered lol

i have come to terms with not being able to play cata until 1st april guys n gals, give GOA a break. im sure they have thought of everything everyone is coming up with here, and more.... UK laws suck to high heaven anyway, we always get screwed over, so just swallow it with a pinch of salt, play the game as normal until the parcel drops thru ya door like i am doing....

ok, the rest of EU have a weeks head start, not GOA's fault, go put a picket line outside every Game store till 1st april in my honest opinion... with plaquards saying *WE WANT DAOC* and *RELEASE DATES IN UK SUX ASS* etc.....

there ya go, got my 5 pennies worth that time eh eh

have fun peeps

The technology exists to download it. EQ have done it for years,CoH do it, Lineage2 - and some of the downloads have been in the GBs. CFommercial issuess stop this though. Mythic - presumably for financial reasons - came to agreements on how to distribute way back. Done deal and that is that - bottom line is the subscribers pay.

As to it not being GoA/Mythic's fault. If you put a letter stamp on a parcel and discover it takes an age to be delivered is that the Post Office's fault or yours for not puttingthe right postage on. If you go into Sainsbury's say - to buy Easter Eggs - and discover that the shelves are empty witha note saying very sorry supplier delivery due mid-April is that the suppliers fault or Sainsbury's for agreeing useless distribution t&cs.
GoA/Mythic are responsible for agreeing a release date. It's on their watch. By all means say it doesn't matter but don't abrogate their responsibility for them.

pomalllka

Fledgling Freddie
GOA let you download everything apart from catacombs directly from their webiste. Just click on the downloads link on left hand side.

Pom

Maleg

Fledgling Freddie
DocWolfe said:
isn't goa a subsidury of france telecom so therefore bandwidth shouldn't be a problem :p
Even 'internal' customers have to pay for bandwidth.

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
hmmm, for the past few weeks i've been checking amazon, game etc websites for delivery/release dates. They all said April 15th. GAO updated their official website last weekend and included a link to play.com saying "buy now and u would have for release date on 25th March", yet the local suppliers still said 15th April. Now who is fucking who over?

Just another one of those "out-of-our-hands" things for a change, 3 years this crap been going on now, whats GOA slogan on top of the website something about community spirit?!?!?!

WoW is to be restocked in 3 weeks time

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
LOL
Stop saying UK laws

THERE IS NO 'LAW' IN THE UK AGAINST SELLING COMPUTER GAMES ON CERTAIN DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's there to make life easier for the distributors/retailers

It's their self imposed setup, to make life easier for them and more inconvenient for us.
Such ridiculous situations occur when a company doesn't have enough competition or has setup up a cosey cartel with it's rivals.

I'm guessing the latter .

When retailers/distributors start dictating to producers when they can release products, then things have gone seriously wrong, it's not about advice on best times for retail impact.

It's all about 'we can't be arsed, move it to next week'
'What about the purchasers, you know the people who pay your wages?'
'Fuck them we have the just where we wan't them'

Rizzin

Fledgling Freddie
TBH Mythic do screw up a lot, however everyone flaming them doesn't change anything. What will annoy me is if their "contingency" plan that was meant to mean catacombs avaliability to the UK on the 25th turn out to be bull shit, checking their official webby now waiting for the news hey said would contain their "contingency plan" on how to get it, as local retailers still wont sell it, and all its saying for today is "Yeay those of you who have the box set can now activate Catacombs" :eek7:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom