UFC 70 trip report.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Well I had an amazing seat, just behind and above the reporters desks on the third row back, right behind the fighters corner ( gonzagas corner ).

I arrived ar 5:40, and purchased a program+soft drink and was seated at 5:45, the first fight was scheduled for 6:30, so I was slightly surprised to see two semi-naked men in the ring and further surprised when the bell rang and they started beating each other up. I assumed it was throd and trem having a giggle, but apparently the schedule had been re-arranged.

The fights were for the most part very good, the only dissapointing fights being the David Heath vs Lyoto Machida fight ( and arlovski werdum ), I had been looking forward to this fight but both fighters are strong counterfighters and it was three rounds of minimal things happening, so much so they didnt show it on the states re-broadcast.

The Terry Etim and Paul Taylor ( brits on the non-PPV cards to boost uk fanbase perhaps? ) fights were both underdog situations and they both put in convincing shows and won.

David Lee was shocking, and worse I was sat next to his sister who was shouting "GO ORN DAVID GO ORN BABY" every 10 seconds until thankfully he got submitted and the bitch left crying. Mental note: Bring earplugs next time in case of similar occurence.

The Bisping vs Sinisic fight was basically letting the local contender smash someone fight in theory, in practice it was about the same, except in the second round Sinisic dropped Bisping and almost submitted him in a very nasty Kimura which he managed to escape and then got half mount on Sinisic and pounded away until the ref stopped it.

The Arlovski vs Werdum fight was pretty well anticipated but it turned into a snoozefest as Arlovski refused to put himself inside and risk getting taken down and turned into a point scoring snoozefest.

And onto the main event, Mirko Filipovic vs Gabriel Gonzaga with the winner getting a shot at Randy Couture.

The fight was fairly even, with Cro Cop doing his usual stalker style, just keeping close and throwing punches and kicks, Gonzaga was giving it back to him though, until late in the round when Gonzaga managed to take Cro Cop down in full mount and spent about a minute smattering his faces with nasty elbows that the crowd was oohing and aahing at when they connected.

They were eventually stood up when Cro Cop got underhooks in and prevented the onslaught of elbows, however about 15-20 seconds after they were stood back up Gonzaga threw a tight right head kick which connected and sent cro cop unconscious onto the mat for a good 2-3 minutes.

All in all a great night, and if UFC is back in manchester I'd definately recommend anyone going, even if you're not a fight fan.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Perhaps you should spoiler the match reports for people who clicked here wondering how your day went :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
the Cro Cop knockout was sickening, I have never seen or heard anything like it. Any reports on if he broke his leg/ankle as well?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Perhaps you should spoiler the match reports for people who clicked here wondering how your day went :)

Should I mention that the last fight finished around 11pm, the same time as the last train that night and I had to spend 2hrs in piccadily chatting to random UFC fans until my BUS ( apparently tracks down due to maintenance overnight ) at 1:30am, which didnt stop at my stop, and I then had to pay a tenner to get back to my car?

:d

taB

Part of the furniture
All this talk of mounting has me wanting to keep away from this sport!

Oh, and you'll be able to claim that tenner back from the rail people mate.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Should I mention that the last fight finished around 11pm, the same time as the last train that night and I had to spend 2hrs in piccadily chatting to random UFC fans until my BUS ( apparently tracks down due to maintenance overnight ) at 1:30am, which didnt stop at my stop, and I then had to pay a tenner to get back to my car?

:d
I'm just glad that I watched it already...

Gray

FH is my second home
Still want to get into UFC, but i can never remember to watch Bravo.

I was reading a news article about UFC a few days ago, and was suprised when one of the Brits mentioned that their training place is called Wolfs Lair in Runcorn. Which is next to my place and where i work.

Seems like it is a "secret place" though where no one knows the location

Draylor

Part of the furniture
I arrived ar 5:40, and purchased a program+soft drink and was seated at 5:45, the first fight was scheduled for 6:30
Dunno what happened here: seems some tickets had the 6:30 start time, others had the revised time of 5:35.

Youd think when folks order tickets online theyd get an email or whatever informing them of any changes - but I pointed out the time change to a few folks I knew were going on Saturday morning and none of them knew anything about it.

It'd be a shame if anyone missed the start, from the sounds of things the first couple of fights that werent shown were better than many that did.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Dunno what happened here: seems some tickets had the 6:30 start time, others had the revised time of 5:35.

Youd think when folks order tickets online theyd get an email or whatever informing them of any changes - but I pointed out the time change to a few folks I knew were going on Saturday morning and none of them knew anything about it.

It'd be a shame if anyone missed the start, from the sounds of things the first couple of fights that werent shown were better than many that did.

The first few fights were pretty good, the only boring fights were the Machida vs Heath ( both counterfighters ) and Arvlovski vs Werdum ( Arlovski coming off two losses that showed him as well off his best game - and Werdum new to the UFC coming over from pride to a new ruleset and setting ) both understandably dry fights.

Will definately be going to the other UFCs in the UK this year if they are at conveniant dates also.

Funnily enough the Manchester Evening News had an unsurprisingly negative view by one of their post-feminist chic reporters who did the most cursory of fact checking ( in fact none ) before writing an article and proclaiming never again would she attend a UFC, claiming it had been banned in the UK ( it hadnt ) and claiming its unsafe ( pro boxers carry more injuries than pro mma fighters and have less risk of significant injury - 0 deaths in mma tyvm!, as well as claiming that such practices as eye gouging are "frowned upon".

Unsurprising as a sensationalist article for the spoonfed masses goes down a lot better than a balanced article, especially now the MEN is a free rag that has to keep its reader numbers up to keep the advertising money coming in.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
If you want to see a bad newspaper article try http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news_detail.html?sku=1589 (WARNING: Daily Star link, sorry, I realise thats probably a bannable offence)

To add to the amusement: they sponsor Cage Rage, their logos were seen clearly in the weekends TV coverage of that event which was held at the same time, and the Irish version of the Star ran a very positive piece only a week ago to promote a Cage Rage Contenders show which is taking place next month in Dublin partly sponsored by .... guess who.

Idiots :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom