Uber Comp spec please !!!!

Y

-yoda-

Hello atm my comp sucks bigtime 500mhz / via built in gfx card and 200'ish ram

i AM planning on asking a friend of a friends friend to build me a uber comp (JUST the tower) can u guys please tell me a awesome build please ?

proccessor?
gfx card ?
ram ?
sound card ?
which windows be best ? xp / 98 / mil ?
any anything else that would make my gaming sumwhat better than the shitty lag i have to puit up with now...

sorry for posting this in normal section but i need the info ASAP so i can order it... and tech help forum is ussually VERY slow to reply :)

p.s i dont want dvd rom/cd writer etc just the basic componants needed for Doac Si+Toa :) something that will last me a long time and not need upgrading after 12months .

Thnx in advance for all replys :)

pps im not to interested in YOUR own comps spec . just what will be good for one i want to build . my budget isnt huge (400-600 uk pounds.) i dont need monitor/keyboard etc so spec for the tower only please :)

Y

-yoda-

ie cple of variations for each part would be great please so i can play around with cash figures :) i wouildnt like to give the guy a list of stuff thatwill cost me a fortune :)

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by -yoda-
proccessor?
gfx card ?
ram ?
sound card ?
which windows be best ? xp / 98 / mil ?

Intel Pentium4
somewhere between 1.8Ghz and 3.06
(get the 3.06 if you´re running more than one account from your machine)

nothing less than 768mb of DDR

go with the onboard sound it´s good enough for daoc (if you purchase an intel board :))

winXP as it supports the hyperthreading features in the 3.06ghz, 2000 doesn´t.

get a Radeon9800 or eventually a Radeon 9600pro for best graphics on the market at the moment (til nvidia gets their new card out.

Y

-yoda-

Re: Re: Uber Comp spec please !!!!

Originally posted by Addlcove

Intel Pentium4

2.5ghz - 3.06mhz

768mb of DDR

winXP

Radeon9800

ty for reply.... but would this be possible to buy with 400-600 british pounds if custom built ?

M

Madonion Slicer

£600 would get you

P4 3.0Ghz or Athlon 3200XP Barton (I Prefer Athlon)
1024 PC2700 Ram
Ati Radeon 9800Pro

Decent Motherboards now come with SATA for nice speed Hard Disks and onboard sound as in SoundStorm. Couple this with the usual bits and bobs your have a pukker PC.

I am currently running

2100XP Athlon
1024 PC2700 Crucial Ram
ATI 9700Pro
Asus A7N8X Deluxe MainBoard

This PC has no worries running DAOC in all it's wonders.

C

Cyradix

I got :

P4 2.8 Ghz
1gig Ram
GF FX 5900 Ultra
I have onboard sound and a SB Live card and don't really notice any difference while playing daoc

Running SI at 50-60 fps (with the new nVidia drivers)
The SI engine doesn't like GF FX cards though. Other games run at 150-200 fps

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by Whoodoo_RD
http://www.alienware.com/ - nuff said

or www.alienware.co.uk if ur in the UK

Alienware fortehwin !!1eleven

My machine :

Alienware Aurora Extreme

Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb Graphics card
200 gb HDD
1gb RAM
DVD Re-Writer
CD Re-Writer
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2

(Wanted 2 cd's so i can CD copy for backup purposes... ;))

It rocks - only thing is the price.

O

oblivion_6

im running

XP 2800
Geforice ti 4800
1.5 GB DDR 400

and i recently got the machine upgraded and it cost less than 500 quid for the lot

O

oblivion_6

lol fo

gamecube games are nice but apart from that and a controller theres not much going for it

O

old.LandShark

£50 - Barton 2500+ processor
£60 - 2* 256mb of DDR400 PC3200 twinMOS CAS2.5 RAM
£71 - Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard (6x USB2.0 ports, serial ATA supported, nVidia Soundstorm onboard, dual-channel DDR400 support)
£190 - Hercules Radeon 9800 128mb Non-Pro
£70 - Seagate or Maxtor 120gb SATA hard-drive, quiet-running, 8mb cache.

Right, all those prices are excluding VAT and there's no case or CPU cooler in there.

Take all of the above components. Put them together, using the new SATA hard-drive as your main hard disc - it's faster than your old UDMA/ATA drive(s) so you'll want your OS and any games on there. Use your old drives for storage of music, films, work, images etc; media.

Buy a decent cooler for your processor and get a case that can have good airflow.

Overclock barton to 200 x 11.5 or so. Should be happy if the airflow is good. Next, take the Radeon 9800, using this tutorial, flash and overclock it to Pro level.
Sit back and enjoy 19000+ 3dmarks and superb performance in any game you'd care to mention.

I'm not 100% sure on which case I'm going with at the moment - OCuk have antecs with 430W PSU's and side blowholes for £80 before VAT, which I may end up going with. At any rate, should be under £550 before VAT and you get one hell of a kick-ass system.

Originally posted by tripitaka
or www.alienware.co.uk if ur in the UK

Alienware fortehwin !!1eleven

My machine :

Alienware Aurora Extreme

Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb Graphics card
200 gb HDD
1gb RAM
DVD Re-Writer
CD Re-Writer

(Wanted 2 cd's so i can CD copy for backup purposes... ;))

It rocks - only thing is the price.

CPU = won't overclock any higher than a barton 2500+ with good cooling. No performance advantage over what I suggested there.
Gfx = 256mb RAM vs 128mb is around a 3% performance boost. Yeah, hope you enjoyed paying for that.
HDD = k
1gb RAM = true, true, beats me there
Optical drives = fair enough. When more than 10% of standalone DVD players can read DVD-R's then I'll consider it worth the £100 for a DVD-burner. As for the CD-burner, they're £37 and that's a fast one that can also read DVDs.

Audigy 2 = mildly better than nvidia soundstorm, as far as audio specifications go, I guess the external connections and remote control are nice.

Price difference? More than £1500 more, for christ's sake, before VAT.

edit: oh, and since when do you need 2 seperate optical drives to copy CDs? :p

edit2: fuck, I posted outside OT.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

This is what I'd go for at the mo (prices are from www.dabs.com):

Motherboard: MSI 875P Neo - £137
Memory: 1 Gb PC3200 RAM (2 x 512Mb) = £130
Processor: Intel P4 2.6 800 FSB = £160
Gfx: Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb = £276

Total: £603

The motherboard and gfx card are PC Pro A-list and should keep you going for a good while yet. I don't think going from 2.6 to 3.0 on the processor is worth the extra cash (the 3GHz version would cost approx £140 more).

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by old.Trine Aquavit
The motherboard and gfx card are PC Pro A-list and should keep you going for a good while yet. I don't think going from 2.6 to 3.0 on the processor is worth the extra cash (the 3GHz version would cost approx £140 more).

Hence you get a Barton and not a PentiumIV. Because the cheapest option performs as well, costs significantly less and overclocks better.

Meh, I'm not a fanboy, for the record. I've used AMD and Intel in the past. Right now? AMD're better.

O

old.Tohtori

Just never...everever...neverever-everever use AMD with ASUS.

Nope.

Never!

Overheating son of a *****(guess it!) combination.

*nods*

A

Afroninja

Re: Re: Uber Comp spec please !!!!

Originally posted by Addlcove
winXP as it supports the hyperthreading features in the 3.06ghz, 2000 doesn´t.

It does

N

Nazgul

Processor : at least 2.5Ghz P4 FSB 800 (better than AMD imo)

Ram: 2 x 512mb so 1024mb ram DDR 400 (make sure you get a motherboard that support dual channel ram and DDR 400)

Graphics: 9800 or 9800Pro

Motherboard: Recommended makes: Gigabyte, MSI
chipset either the 875P or 865PE

Sound: Use onboard

Hard drive: get about 120gb

check out www.tomshardware.com
www.anandtech.com

or the hardware forum section of barrysworld for more help

Y

-yoda-

are these prices u guys are saying INCLUDE all the other bits for the tower?
im NOT upgrading my comp im REPLACING my sucky tower i have atm , keeping the monitor/keyboard etc etc ., and getting the guy to build me a Tower from scratch ,

cos ofc i need a cd-rom.. dont need a dvdrom or cd-writer cos ill have my old tower right next to new one and just plug it in if/when need those.

im a tech idiot i aint gotta clue about this sort of stuff so all help i can gether is apreciated :) i think £500'ISH is a realistic target for me 600 a bit to much just before xmas.

T

Twaize

3.2 ghz
2048 pc3200ram
GeForce FX5900 Ultra
1 cd drive 52 cd read 40 cd-r write 24 cd-rw write 12x dvd read 4x dvd+r write 2x dvd+rw write

A

Afroninja

are you going to keep your existing tower? or can we pull the floppy drive, hard drive and dvd-rom from it and use in the new one? :)

Y

-yoda-

what the deal is just to clarify is..

a friend of a friends friend (i dont know the comp guy) told me mate he would make me a FULL tower system. and asked my mate to tell me to make a LIST of the stuff i would like (gfx card , ram etc etc) .and he will give me a price for it ...

and to save me the trouble of re-looking up items that i can afford. i thought id ask u guys for info so i can get a good system that will run Si+Toa EASILY and wont need upgrading for a long time . but still be within my budget (£400-£600.. £500 ideally max)

and cos im a total idiot when it comes to this sort of stuff and i dont want to go over budget i'd rather get it right 1st time ill go look on the comp sites now n have a look myself n post it here , u guys tell me if it would be good enough run Si+Toa plz :)

p.s Thnx so much for replys so far lots off different opinions etc etc so i know roughly what to ask for.

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by old.LandShark

CPU = won't overclock any higher than a barton 2500+ with good cooling. No performance advantage over what I suggested there.
Gfx = 256mb RAM vs 128mb is around a 3% performance boost. Yeah, hope you enjoyed paying for that.
HDD = k
1gb RAM = true, true, beats me there
Optical drives = fair enough. When more than 10% of standalone DVD players can read DVD-R's then I'll consider it worth the £100 for a DVD-burner. As for the CD-burner, they're £37 and that's a fast one that can also read DVDs.

Audigy 2 = mildly better than nvidia soundstorm, as far as audio specifications go, I guess the external connections and remote control are nice.

Price difference? More than £1500 more, for christ's sake, before VAT.

edit: oh, and since when do you need 2 seperate optical drives to copy CDs? :p

edit2: fuck, I posted outside OT.

To answer your questions...

I'm fed up of building my own PC's I did it for a living for a long time and because i have more money than the average joe who wants to buy upgrades, I bought a pre-made one - the supposedly best one around at the time. (then a week later they brought out the athlon 64 blah blah)

Grpahics - I havent had a gamef*ck since day 1 - most Nvidia peeps have complained on BW or somewhere about reboots once a day, once a month - game crashes etc etc - its a DX9 card where the memory doesn't get used up in an hour's play / game changing etc. Drivers are infinitely more stable. So thats fine with me.

I DON'T want to overclock my PC - so im happy with what i have.

I am a lazy git who can't be arsed to swap media in and out of DVD / CD rom drives when copying. plus i do so much it takes half the time.

And i like the glowy lights. Now, Leave me alone.
<starts rocking back and forth in his chair.>

The other thing is - you get a manufacturers warranty on bit parts , but you dont get complete cover like on a full system premade. 3 years full warranty support on any part in the machine - i think it is. 24/7 tech spt free, price included that. But you'll prolly flame me for this too.

And i thought the idea of this thread was to give a perspective of other ppl systems, NOT to flame someone for what they bought?

The simple answer instead of the long explanation - is if you have the money and are a lazy git, buy premade with a hefty system spec. Thats what i did.

A

Afroninja

well, still not knowing if we can gut your old one. something like this :)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail (CP-024-IN)
£123.75 £123.75
Abit IS7-E 'Springdale' (Socket 478) Motherboard (MB-034-AB)
£59.95 £59.95
TwinMOS 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3200 Dual Channel Kit (MY-007-TM)
£114.90 £114.90
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI - Retail (GX-020-SP)
£106.75 £106.75
Western Digital Caviar 40GB Special Edition 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-004-WD)
£40.50 £40.50
Teac 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive - OEM (RD-000-TE)
£8.40 £8.40
AOpen H500A Midi Tower - 300W PSU (CA-001-AO)
£43.20 £43.20
Subtotal £497.45
VAT £87.06
Total £584.51

A

Addlcove

Re: Re: Re: Uber Comp spec please !!!!

Originally posted by Afroninja on the subject of 2k supporting Hyperthreading
It does

The following desktop operating systems are not recommended for use with Hyper-Threading Technology. If you are using one of the following desktop operating systems, it is advised that you should disable Hyper-Threading Technology in the system BIOS Setup program:

Microsoft Windows 2000 (all versions)
Microsoft Windows NT* 4.0
Microsoft Windows Me
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 SE

taken from here

A

Afroninja

put simply, that is whats known as bollocks :)

its Wintel trying to make you upgrade to XP.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Afroninja
put simply, that is whats known as bollocks :)

its Wintel trying to make you upgrade to XP.

post some proof mate? just saying it´s bollocks doesn´t prove your point... if it is bollocks someone has had a fieldday over it, find the evidence that 2k does support HT technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom