Two thirds?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Apparently, two thirds of people getting a degree get a 2:1 or 1st Class honours nowadays.

This explains why three quarters of employers require a 2:1 or above for your CV to be considered.

It used to be that degrees were graded in that a certain percentage could achieve the top grade (say 10%), followed by a larger percentage at 2:1 and so on, with, IIRC, 1/3rd able to achieve the top two grades...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well, if I actually used my degree I'd be more pissed off :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They are probably tightening up on people with Mickey Mouse degrees too, a 2.1 in leisure and tourism (or whatever the fuck most people waste their time on) is pretty useless for most jobs.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Personally I am aiming for a first, then maybe doing a masters. I don't see the point in spending all this money if don't make the most of it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Dropped standards that now f*ck up older graduates?

nah, once you have a few jobs on your CV people barely look at the details of your qualifications; and don't forget, most people recruiting are older and just as aware of the difference between University marking from 10-15 years ago and now.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
nah, once you have a few jobs on your CV people barely look at the details of your qualifications; and don't forget, most people recruiting are older and just as aware of the difference between University marking from 10-15 years ago and now.

Good point , though if you've been doing plumbing work for 5-10 years because your area of expertise was in a dump(job opening wise), you could be in trouble :p

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Difference in uni quality is staggering to be honest.

Lad from my school does Maths at some random low-ranking uni and honest to god, he has yet to touch on some of the stuff I did at F.Maths A-Level. Compare that to say, UCL or Imperial's end of 1st year maths projects and it's laughable.

I think now-a-days people are right when they say it's mostly experience. Only way I can see people giving more than a fuck about your uni grade is if you come from Russell Group or the noteable exceptions (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL etc.) But then most of the finalists I've spoke to have had internships and job offers so they don't have to leave uni and start job searching as such.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I have a 2:2 from Bournemouth Uni... On my CV, it now says "BSc in Information Technology (Hons) from Bournemouth University." Just that one line. No one will really give a shit if you have relevant work experience, or if they do care, then they want to either make sure the candidate is overqualified or impress clients.

Could be a problem if you are fresh out of uni and have never held a job though. Had to do 10 months work placement as part of my degree, invaluable when it came to job hunting after graduating.

Not sure I understand the fascination with Russel Group / Red Brick uni's, most of the guys and girls I've worked with who went to these were nothing special compared to their non prestigious counterparts.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
That's why I got a First, in Computer Science, and why I'm going to UCL to do a MSc... although the latter is mainly because I want to get it done before the cost of even attempting a Masters shoots up due to the general lack of cash the Uni's have at the moment, apparently around 4k people applied for the 25 places on the course I've got on to... luckily was one of the first to apply and had excellent head of departments at my previous Uni who had done their PHd's at UCL so could put in a good word here and there, also not to hoot my own horn but I'm pretty good at this computer lark.

Graduated last year in the depths of the recession, thankfully only took me two months to find a job! Currently a Web Developer *yawn*

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I have two firsts and an MSc, and I must admit the MSc was a complete breeze compared to my first degree (12 years ago). I don't really think that degree's are worth the paper they are written on now and I can absolutly understand people getting into the job market asap after leaving high school/college and getting work experience which seems to be infinitely more sought after for many careers these days.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
comp sci doing web dev, that's a bit degrading, eh?

To be fair, I never really understood what you'd get out of doing a Comp Sci degree.

If you want to webdev, administer, design networks/corporate infrastructures etc, surely you just do the relevant professional qualifications?

What does a comp sci graduate want to do?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Personally I am aiming for a first, then maybe doing a masters. I don't see the point in spending all this money if don't make the most of it.

Why would you do a masters after a first? Surely a Phd would be more apt?

taB

Part of the furniture
I got a Desmond in Maffs from a decent uni. Shouldn't have bothered as my job has naff all to do with my work but it was a fun three years.

Chilly

Balls of steel
To be fair, I never really understood what you'd get out of doing a Comp Sci degree.

If you want to webdev, administer, design networks/corporate infrastructures etc, surely you just do the relevant professional qualifications?

What does a comp sci graduate want to do?

Comp sci has been corrupted to be "general nerd" not actual science of computing: ie language theory, electronics, physics, maths, algorithms, etc. Obviously there are sill some good comp sci courses around, oxford and cambridge both do superb ones, as do many of the private US unis, but half the newer UK unis are full of retards learning to use photoshop.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
comp sci doing web dev, that's a bit degrading, eh?

Needed the money... Had some great potentials with companies in the city but then the acceptance came in from UCL and got a job close to home to remove commuting costs, But yes, web dev... not really terribly keen on it to be honest.

The course I got on to is more vocational than learning, it's aimed at instructing and preparing masters students for work in financial software systems engineering with business modules at the London Business School and several months spent working in and carrying out projects for an institution like the Bank of America, Reuters Hedge Funds, Risk Assessment companies who are partnered to the course and which you are randomly assigned, Overall I weighed up the pro's and cons, did my research on past alumni and decided that it would be a good course to tackle. A PHd takes agesssssssss, MSc is only 12 months :p

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Comp sci has been corrupted to be "general nerd" not actual science of computing: ie language theory, electronics, physics, maths, algorithms, etc. Obviously there are sill some good comp sci courses around, oxford and cambridge both do superb ones, as do many of the private US unis, but half the newer UK unis are full of retards learning to use photoshop.

I actually dropped out of Imperial from their computing science course because it was TOO pure and not applied. Drawing diagrams of how they prepared the overlays when making a memory block of a silicon chip was ultimately quite boring :)

That was a long time ago, so it may well have changed ;)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I actually dropped out of Imperial from their computing science course because it was TOO pure and not applied. Drawing diagrams of how they prepared the overlays when making a memory block of a silicon chip was ultimately quite boring :)

That was a long time ago, so it may well have changed ;)

That's the reason I didn't do Comp Sci. Theory I'll never use is wasted. Imperial has probably the best Comp Sci degree imho though, all the guys and girls who I've met who have done it have all been several steps above the average Joe.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
This thread has got me kind of worried. I'm looking at changing career and getting into Physics, but I have to start from scratch.

This is the current plan -

GCSEs - 1 year
A levels - 2 years
Degree - 3 years
Phd - 4 years (?)

Anyone know if those times are about right? I figure it'll be about 10 years or so until it's all over with, but I'm hoping to start a job somewhere after the A levels which has stuff all to do with IT.

Anyone tried a career change, or advice etc??

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's the reason I didn't do Comp Sci. Theory I'll never use is wasted. Imperial has probably the best Comp Sci degree imho though, all the guys and girls who I've met who have done it have all been several steps above the average Joe.

Yes - it's very highly rated and the guys I was on the course with have gone onto great things, as have I, of course *ahem*.

It's a tough place to get into, and you can be well assured that telling my Dad I was dropping out to be an FX trainee broker was not the most comfortable discussion of my life so far...... :twak:

I'd never change a thing though :kissit:

Jeros

Part of the furniture

My degree is 4 years as its Scotland so I don't like to sign up too to much in my head before hand, or I would have singed up for the masters right up from the bat. I will make the decision nearer the time.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
This thread has got me kind of worried. I'm looking at changing career and getting into Physics, but I have to start from scratch.

This is the current plan -

GCSEs - 1 year
A levels - 2 years
Degree - 3 years
Phd - 4 years (?)

Anyone know if those times are about right? I figure it'll be about 10 years or so until it's all over with, but I'm hoping to start a job somewhere after the A levels which has stuff all to do with IT.

Anyone tried a career change, or advice etc??

Get rid of the GCSEs. Useless for nothing except for overzealous uni's wanting to separate the elite from the 'very good' and usually only for the very competitive courses (LSE, Oxbridge etc.)

A-Levels can be done in one year easily. If your doing Physics, all you'd need would be Maths, F.Maths and Physics. They all mould together quite nicely, even at A-Level and if you pick all the mechanic modules for your Maths and F.Maths you'll basically be going into Uni with a set of A-Levels completely dedicated to your course.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Get rid of the GCSEs. Useless for nothing except for overzealous uni's wanting to separate the elite from the 'very good' and usually only for the very competitive courses (LSE, Oxbridge etc.)

A-Levels can be done in one year easily. If your doing Physics, all you'd need would be Maths, F.Maths and Physics. They all mould together quite nicely, even at A-Level and if you pick all the mechanic modules for your Maths and F.Maths you'll basically be going into Uni with a set of A-Levels completely dedicated to your course.

Well, according to the college, I need grade B's to do the A-levels. I have grade C's.

My choices are -

Do the GCSEs then do A-levels.
Don't do GCSEs nor A-levels.
Move house to get close to another college that will accept C grades.

Options 2 and 3 are not going to happen.

Cheers for the other info though! :cheers:

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Sit as an external and self-study if you can.

Honestly there's so many resources out there for Maths & F.Maths, having a teacher is just an 'added luxury.'

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
It's no big deal, it's 2 nights a week, 3 hours a night and I don't have to pay for it. I'll take the free 'added luxury' methinks! :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
fuck that, why take so long? get off yer arse, power thru the GCSEs and A levels in two years and get on with the interesting bits.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Cause I've not studied anything for so long, i thought it'd nice to ease back into it.

That and I'm obviously not as energetic as you are...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
It's no big deal, it's 2 nights a week, 3 hours a night and I don't have to pay for it. I'll take the free 'added luxury' methinks! :)

Just seems silly to have 2 more years of work that will be in no way related to your degree but simply the pre-reqs.

10 years is a long time to be stuck in full time education - are you sure your not going to get burned out?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I'm going to echo Chilly here. Which GCSE's are you taking? Just physics and maths? You can do those easily, the only problem might be coursework if you need certain tools.

Odd question, but how old are you? If you're already in your twenties, then call the uni you want to go to and ask what is required to apply as a mature student. It might be that you can do a foundation year - this could potentialy shave off some time doing lesser qualifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom