TV TVs

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd imagine that's more to do with Apple not wanting to fund Samsung now they're the biggest phone manufacturer, no?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Why people still think of Sony when buying LCD's or OLED's still suprises me. They do not make a single panel themselves, instead they buy them all from Panasonic, Samsung and Fujitsu stick a network card in it and badge it. People still associate the name with quality when it went out the window 10 years ago.

Samsung and Panasonic followed by LG.

rynnor

Rockhound
LED backlit is the best value currently - I'm not some crazy greeny but a tv that uses a third of the power of an lcd is pretty cool.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
NECRO!

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/lg-55-inch-oled-tv-pricing-revealed-1081832

LG's 55 inch OLED TV on sale in July, just 4mm thick and I bet it looks gorgeous.

Who actually cares that its 4mm thick? What are going to do, post it? Beyond a certain point the thinness of the telly becomes irrelevant because the wall bracket is already the driver of how far the TV sticks out from the wall (and you're also getting into compromises with input cables). Minimal bevel, yes, light weight, yes (but its not that important), and of course picture and inputs, but thinness? Nah.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Still got my 8-10 year old tubular tv sitting in the living room, survived a half a dozen moves and even kids. Loving it :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's a selling point, people go ooh and ahh when they see it looking all dainty and skinny in the shop but I got a 55" LED Samsung last year and once it's up on the wall and out of the way, I really dont give a toss how slimline it is. The only thing I notice is it's a shitload thinner than my old 22" Sony CRT. :)

The slimness is especially irrelevant if you're not going to wall-mount it, the base has to be a certain depth (about 20cm in my case) to be able to support the TV properly.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Bitches, please.

I understand it weighs 10kg compared to a smaller 52" Sony CCFL backlit unit weighing over 40kg. You're right gaff that the bracket adds a load of depth (my 52" Sony is mounted on a serious mofo), but at a fraction of the weight then the brackets can be smaller and lighter which I'm all in favour of.

It'll look leet surrounded by the KEF T series flat speakers.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
With that LG TV all the important bits are located in the base (all your connectors etc) and I believe the picture is delivered from the base to the screen via very fine optical cables.
So you can't wall mount it...

soze

I am a FH squatter
LG guy in Comet said he would be surprised if these ever left the store to a real persons house in any great numbers. Like the Sony they are considered proof of concept rather than mass market products. I do like the fact that these are coming out i keep thinking about getting a LED back lit just to get rid of the oven that is my current LCD. But i will give it another year to see if real LED TV's become real world.

Poag

m00?
Bought a pair of 42" Samsung LED SMART TVs last year. one for myself and then misses, other for my parents.

Both produce excellent picture quality, low power usage and without speakers fairly good sound. This years version are ES5500 i think. The Smart TV component is pretty damn good to, folks find their way around it without help :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bought a pair of 42" Samsung LED SMART TVs last year. one for myself and then misses, other for my parents.

Both produce excellent picture quality, low power usage and without speakers fairly good sound. This years version are ES5500 i think. The Smart TV component is pretty damn good to, folks find their way around it without help :)

Way past 5500 now. On to series 8000 (I have a 6500). Problem with Samsung Smart TV will always be support; for example they've integrated Netflix into the 7000 series and up and promised to include it on earlier versions, but it won't happen, Samsung absolutely suck at that kind of thing. I barely use the Smart TV function because my Apple TV and my PS3 simply do it better (the dlna on the Smart TV is kind of flaky too, but that's common for all kinds of devices). Once I've got my Raspberry Pi set up with XBMC I'll probably "retire" the PS3 and Apple TV to other rooms in the house as well, unless someone finally jailbreaks the Apple TV before the Raspberry Pi arrives.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm waiting for Rasberry Pi to be everywhere, so you can just buy and not fiddle (just download a config someone else has made), and Apple Tv 3 to be jailbroken. Then and only then will I consider using one of them as opposed to my ps3.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You can do that with the Raspberry Pi already. It's the aTV3 that's not open yet but tbh I bought mine to watch films on, I just want the jailbreak because it'd outperform the Pi easily at running XBMC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom