TV TVs

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My mother-in-law wants a fancy new telly. She has a Tosh 32" widescreen CRT. She's looking for a new-fangled 40".

I still use my old 33" 4:3 CRT so I'm no help whatsoever :)

What's a good make, model, screen type and price ?

Is Plasma still better than LCD (leccy bills notwithstanding) and is it worth getting one of the newfangled LED tellies ?

I'm lost. Help0r !!!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
OLED's are absolutely spank-tastic, but massively expensive at the moment. Check out Samsung or Sony for a nice LCD. I think Samsung are the best at the moment as they make panels for a lot of the other manufacturers.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Get a Samsung 6 or 7 series. I have the LE40A686 and it's very very good(yes I'm a samsung fanboi ;) )
As Nath said they also have LED TV's now which are just amazing, but they are a bit more expensive (although not as much as you would imagine)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If she can, she should wait. OLEDs will get a lot cheaper over the next year or two, and she'll find herself looking at an obsolete LCD or Plasma by that time.

Keep the CRT until the digital switchoff hits her area.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It really depends Wij, there are a lot of good TVs out there at a range of prices. I also agree with Tom, I think OLED is going to change everything but it is very expensive just now - I'm waiting until OLED before buying a new TV.

That said, the Pioneer Kuro range are getting superb reviews for their superior black performance (Kuro is Japanese for Black) - they are Plasma and they cost an arm and a leg, but arguably one of the best money can buy.

Pioneer PDP-LX5090 TV review - from the experts at whathifi.com

If that's too big or expensive, I always speak very highly of Sony LCD TVs - my sister and dad have one and the pictures are stunning, I can't really fault them other than the blacks aren't great, but then I'm being picky against the Kuro.

Sony KDL-40Z4500 TV review - from the experts at whathifi.com

However, to get the most of both TVs, you're gonna have to feed it with Sky HD and/or a blu-ray player - the spec of these TVs might be way beyond what she'll ever need, so would be money wasted.

It's half time on the football, so will post more when I get back.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Big G has a very good point.
It's nice to have a shiny new HDTV, but unless you're going to give it a HD feed then you might as well save your money and get a lower spec model.

As for brands/makes... Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG or Toshiba.
Keeping the size large and a "known" brand, how about this one?

Toshiba 42AV635DB : £603.51
42AV635DB TOSHIBA 42 INCH LCD TV IN GLOSS BLACK WITH CLASSIC FLOOR STAND
Compares with £750 from Currys and Comet.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Big G has a very good point.
It's nice to have a shiny new HDTV, but unless you're going to give it a HD feed then you might as well save your money and get a lower spec model.

Careful with that logic. Analogue switch off starts next year and Freeview HD is coming this year, so it seems rather pointless to save a few quid on an SD TV now when you'll regret it in as little as 18 months. Sure, you don't have to go nuts and buy the latest 1080p set if you're not going to hook up a console or BluRay player, but there are loads of 720p bargains now.

Samsung or Sony LCD seems to be the way to go.

Fast

Part of the furniture

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Erm, OLED still has a long way to go yet? I wouldn't advise anyone to wait for one. It's fine to wait for if you've got a 1080p TV which is the ideal maximum size for your room - but for everyone else they could get some great deals now.

The only available OLED TV is 11" and is insanely expensive. Some of the TV manufacturers are aiming for larger versions at the end of next year, so it still has years to go before it's even available - let alone affordable.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Erm, OLED still has a long way to go yet? I wouldn't advise anyone to wait for one. It's fine to wait for if you've got a 1080p TV which is the ideal maximum size for your room - but for everyone else they could get some great deals now.

The only available OLED TV is 11" and is insanely expensive. Some of the TV manufacturers are aiming for larger versions at the end of next year, so it still has years to go before it's even available - let alone affordable.

O RLY

40-inch OLED panel from Samsung - HDTV Info Europe

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

It's not OLED though.

All OLED TV Reviews

Samsung's OLED monitor revealed as LCD | News | TechRadar UK

http://www.whathifi.com/News/Samsung-TV-boss-LCD-can-hold-off-OLED-for-many-years/

a LED backlight is NOT OLED.

I would get a cheap LCD or Plasma now. Stick with Samsung / Sony / Sharp. Not impressed with LG and Toshiba's tv's recently.

You need to decide if you want the top end features or not. If you want to spend about a grand then you should be able to get a really nice tv. A decent plasma will still cost over a grand though. Kuro or Viera is the way to go there. The Kuro is out of production soon as Panasonic are quiting the TV business. So the time to get one of those bad boys is now.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
if i had £6,500 lying about i'd buy that in a shot, it looks beautiful

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Prefer Samsung myself. For some reason I associate LG with Bush/Crown. No idea why.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
How about LG's 55 inch OLED for £6,400?

lg_55em9600-580-75.jpg

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/lg-55-inch-oled-tv-pricing-revealed-1081832

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ears are important, the only way to fuck their brains out.

soze

I am a FH squatter
NECRO!

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/lg-55-inch-oled-tv-pricing-revealed-1081832

LG's 55 inch OLED TV on sale in July, just 4mm thick and I bet it looks gorgeous.
I sent my mate a link to this TV his response "Oh you dirty, dirty girl" :) That TV is stunning. And as for the LG Screens the LG guy I was speaking too said that LG currently supply panels to both Apple and Sony so they appear to be gaining some big customers and are taking business off Samsung.*

*This is from an LG rep so I have no idea how true it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom