TVR to leave UK

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
FuzzyLogic said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6062084.stm

Saw this coming somewhat meself, shame really but what can you do.

Thoughts?

*Shrugs*. It was inevitable really. TVR had a market when the only real rival for the price was the (much slower) Boxster. The rivals are all still slower, but there are a lot more of them, and you're actually likely to get from a-to-b in them, so TVR's market has dried up. I don't think Peter Wheeler would have flogged TVR to a spotty Russian schoolboy if he thought the company had a chance long term.

Doesn't say which country they're moving manufacture to. Russia??

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I was a bit shocked when I read the news, but after a minute or two of thought, I started to wonder.

Moving production of TVRs out of this country isn't the end of the world. In fact, it might just introduce them to the rest of the world. So far the only people really who have been buying British-made TVRs are, Britains. These same Britains are also the ones with relatively high wages. Its also a British company that has to cope with regulation after regulation, some imposed by our own government, some imposed by our European government.

Look to Noble and Aerial. The former sells its cars to the US under licence. The latter has more orders than it can cope with.

Just whatever you do, don't start blaming the British consumer for having the temerity to expect to buy a new clutch, or expecting their cars not to start rusting from the chassis inwards, or expecting their cars not to break down with silly little faults - because regardless of the many TVRs that run well, the common misconception is that they're not to be trusted. TVR have never addressed that.

You can look wherever you like for people to blame, but the only people to blame in all of this are the people who work at the company - from the owner down to the tea lady. They're not making a successful product. They're not making enough profit, and unless they turn that around, they'll go the same way as Rover.

BTW, I loved my TVR, and I'm saving up for another one to run as a weekend car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom