Advice TV Seasons

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I heard on the grape vine that the scene that rips these is going mp4 and leaving divx .. anyone heard the same or can counter it ?

Wondering if to get a media streaming box to replace my xbox 360

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They should've done it years ago; x264 (h.264) is a far superior codec to xvid. You get better quality encodes and reduced filesizes. It's a complete no-brainer.
For those who understand, the whole thing is pretty amusing.
This.

And ... people still download SD tv rips? :\

soze

I am a FH squatter
And ... people still download SD tv rips? :\
Hell yes if you keep a collection and are talking about shows that don't benefit from HD why pay for 3 times the storage. It is the same with DVD Rips if its not CGI heavy there no need wasting 10GB storing a 1080p rip.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hell yes if you keep a collection and are talking about shows that don't benefit from HD why pay for 3 times the storage. It is the same with DVD Rips if its not CGI heavy there no need wasting 10GB storing a 1080p rip.
I don't understand your point... every show benefits from HD otherwise it's too smooth and... um... artefacty... from the limited definition of the resolution of the encode settings. I can't think of anything that doesn't look better in HD. I like to watch the shows on a largish screen with good quality, then I archive it all anyway. Storage is relatively cheap (or at least it was before those floods) so I would go for quality and increased file-size every time.

And G, Family Guy and South Park are both broadcast in HD (720p and 1080i respectively).

soze

I am a FH squatter
I just don't see it a show like NCIS which does not have a million and one special affects is not worth 3 time the storage to me it is perfectly watchable in SD. I would need 4x3 TB disks supported by my NAS and 6TB of temporary storage while I add the new disks so unless the pilot looks a lot better in HD over SD I will avoid that issue for as long as possible :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't tend to keep stuff for long. I will watch it on my PC, see if the wife wants to watch it on the TV and if not, delete it. File size only bothers me because I have crap bandwidth.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
If you don't archive every season of every show storage is not an issue.
I only keep the last season or season that's currently airing and I have 93 shows in HD on a single 3TB disk

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I don't understand your point... every show benefits from HD otherwise it's too smooth and... um... artefacty... from the limited definition of the resolution of the encode settings. I can't think of anything that doesn't look better in HD. I like to watch the shows on a largish screen with good quality, then I archive it all anyway. Storage is relatively cheap (or at least it was before those floods) so I would go for quality and increased file-size every time.

And G, Family Guy and South Park are both broadcast in HD (720p and 1080i respectively).

Difference in quality for animated shows in HD and SD rips are negligable if the SD ones are ripped well. No point for the huge file size.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Disagree. With SD, the edges are softer and less defined, the whole image is lacking the sharpness of it's HD counterpart. You can rip them as well as you like but the fact still remains that you are ripping to a lower resolution so you *are* going to lose detail.

soze

I am a FH squatter
And for my money in a lot of shows losing that details does not take away the enjoyment of the show.

Chilly

Balls of steel
HD deffo looksbetter than SD, I dont think anyone is arguing that. It's more than for a certain class of content, a lot of people simply dont care. I'll happily watch most things in SD except films and stuff like Lost that's outside and full of mint scenery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom