TV Receiving Options

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Chums and bums,

got a little technical problem which I am trying to resolve.

we have a small room upstairsd which, up to recently was my study. Its now the games room for the kids and has a TV, video & playstation in there.

Unfortunately, there is no TV Aerial socket (only damn room in the house without one)

Now - we had an appointment for someone to come out and check out the options but hes been arsing around and has never showed up.

Cabling seems difficult : its got laminate flooring so no easy way of hiding the cables.
Teh wall the TV is against is the opposite wall to where we could actually run the cables to (one wall backs onto a small attic space.

I was considering wireless but not sure what the quality would be (main aerial socket is downstairs)

any suggestiions without spending an arm and a leg?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Wireless of any description will be shit, so forget that.

Your cheapest bet would be to buy a small diameter co-ax and run it along the skirting board to the nearest point convenient for a wall-mounted socket. Paint it the same colour as the skirting, use a silicon-based glue (Sikaflex for instance) rather than tacks, so its less obvious.

The other option (and the one I'd follow) would be to cut a channel into the plaster, insert a conduit, feed the cable into the conduit, install a socket, plaster over, voila. Feed the cable through the roof space.

As for splitting from the aerial, you need something like this.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Wireless of any description will be shit, so forget that.

Your cheapest bet would be to buy a small diameter co-ax and run it along the skirting board to the nearest point convenient for a wall-mounted socket. Paint it the same colour as the skirting, use a silicon-based glue (Sikaflex for instance) rather than tacks, so its less obvious.

The other option (and the one I'd follow) would be to cut a channel into the plaster, insert a conduit, feed the cable into the conduit, install a socket, plaster over, voila. Feed the cable through the roof space.

As for splitting from the aerial, you need something like this.

although I hate wireless and believe it to be the spawn of satan, for something as low-bandwidth as non-hd tv signals a standard wireless g router would be fine, bandwidth wise.

I stream direct mpeg2 dumps from my htpc's dvb-t card over my wired network and the max bandwidth usage is ~4mbps for a single mpeg2 stream, seeking makes it jump to 30mbps for a few seconds, but on a lower connection it just means the seeking takes slightly longer.

wireless shouldnt have a problem.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I've just got a video sender and the quality is surprisingly good, maybe get one of those?

rynnor

Rockhound
Lazarus said:
its got laminate flooring so no easy way of hiding the cables.

Hmm - surely the guys who did your flooring left the required expansion gap all around and disguised it with extra pieces fixed onto your skirting board?

You could remove those strips - run cable and refix?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
had the same problem my self. in the end i connected it to the main arial in the loft and ran a coax down through some trunking like so -

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Could try a digisender setup (http://www.digisender.net/)? Picture quality might not be ultra sharpe (depends on the range) but I've used one for years in a house with soild walls and floors and it does the job nicely. Picture is very clear. Also saves a fortune and effort of cabling, and gives you the option of hooking up a DVD/Satellite box and control it from the other tv.

Tris why is there a lock on that door? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom