TV Output on an 8800GT

Kryten

Old Cow.
Quick one for you folks,
Trying very hard to get my 8800GT to output to my telly - it's just an el-crappo CRT thing with composite throughput, but can't get any picture on it.
Suspect it's more of a driver thing than anything else, and I know Nvidia's software is utter, utter crap for this sort of thing (anything other than gaming applications on a single screen).

The setup wizard detects a TV when it's hooked in and I do a rigorous detection, yet it gives me no picture in either dualview or clone. Checked it's outputting to PAL, dropped resolutions and refresh rates, it's having none of it :/

Anyone done this successfully?

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Are you sure the cables you're using work ok? And have you got any other way of hooking it up? i.e. into a VCR and pumping that to the telly? It used to fix it for me on my old TNT years ago.

You sound like you've tried all the other bits correctly. 50hz refresh rate and PAL-I format etc.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yeah, tried the following:

Composite into TV directly
Composite into VCR directly
Composite into Scart adapter in Telly
Composite into Scart adapter in VCR
Svideo into Scart adapter in Telly
Svideo into Scart adapter in VCR

Checked the cables themselves with multimeter and it's all ok. No way of checking if my hardware is working (the 8800GT itself) - tried another telly with same effect too.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
have tried taping the feed when plugged into your vcr? if it tapes the signal ok then its your tv

its been over 10 years since i last tried composite thru a gfx card. found the its just a svhs signal that goes thru composite cables and some tv didnt like it

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Maybe for the following, the Tv was expecting RGB and you were giving it composite?:

Composite into Scart adapter in Telly
Composite into Scart adapter in VCR

In my experience, this can be a shitty combination due to cables being faulty on more than one occasion:

Svideo into Scart adapter in Telly
Svideo into Scart adapter in VCR

No idea why this wont work:

Composite into TV directly
Composite into VCR directly

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, I have exhausted every single hardware combination. I'd go out and buy a couple of cables or adapters but I've not a penny to be spent, hence making do. I've even made 2 cables and adapters just to be sure and extended an SVHS cable myself.

It's definitely not the telly, I've tried on our other one too :)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I've done this before on an 8800GTS.

I'm not very technical on hardware I'm afraid, but I used two cables - one that came with the card and had a connection for the TV-out on the card (7 pin s-video I think) and ended in green blue red and yellow phono connectors (one of these, but with a yellow phono connector too).

I put that in the back of the card and then plugged what looks like a phono to phono adapter into the yellow connector on the S-video cable, and that allowed me to put a scart adapter on the end.

I stuck that in the back of the TV and it worked - I had to go to the AV channel to get the picture I think.

I didnt have to put any drivers other than the standard(and latest I think) ones I had installed - I would check again but the card is currently being repaired due to overheating issues, should get it back in a couple of weeks.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye that's pretty much the setup I had here. Ideally would have liked just the composite to "just work" so there's no conversions (and therefore loss) taking place, but whatever I tried, had absolutely no luck.

I've the same dongle you said about (the RGB with composite & svideo cable) yet I get no joy from that at all, I've also a single cable which converts from the 7 pin straight to composite, and that's the only method from which I get the drivers to detect the TV, so it's the only one I've been concentrating on.
The others that don't detect the TV - the software just says there nothing there, but gives me the option to turn the connector on anyway and force output through it, but that doesn't actually do anything.

I've just downloaded a slight driver update, applying that to see if there's any difference :/

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Without reviewing the thread in depth, have you tried making the TV your main monitor?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yup :|
Basically given up now, resorted to burning DVDs, rather against the point of trying to setup a temporary media centre type thing :/

Kryten

Old Cow.
I had that suspicion. Will start my Ubuntu and see if that works...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom