TV Help Please

J

Jonny_Darko

Hi all

A bit of advice about computer monitors and TV please?

I've just broken up with my GF, which means I will only be able to afford to get, like, a small room in a shared house.

I have a flat full of stuff at the moment and am going to have to get my parents to store a lot of it. I very much doubt I'll have room for my 36" Samsung Widescreen TV, but I'll be buying a new computer soon...

...so I was wondering if it's wise / possible / recommened to forget the telly (I'll sell it) and when I buy a new PC soon, to buy one that I can use as a telly.

What would I need to make this work? Could I still play my games consoles through a monitor? I know the Dreamcast had a VGA box but I don't know about playing GC, PS2 and Xbox through a monitor?

Are there any reasons why this is a bad idea? Basically, as long as I can play my consoles, watch TV and watch DVDs through my PC then I'll be happy. Could I hook up a Sky box to it? What about my VCR?

Sorry it's a lot of questions but I really don't understand all this stuff. I got to 22 and suddenly realised I'd gone into the realm of "people who can't program video players"!

N

nath

Well, you can get tv tuner cards which afaik basically act like the back of a tv. You can plug any RF input in to them. So that's fine for VCRs/TV signals. I don't know if you'd be able to plug scart in to the back of a computer though, which may be a problem for xbox/ps2/cable tv type stuff..

J

Jonny_Darko

I have a scart-to-rf converter somewhere. A very rare piece of kit, knew it would come in handy one day!

So is TV picture quality not rubbish through a monitor then?

B

bids

I have a Pinnacle USB TV adapter, and the picture on my 19" TFT is very good indeed - no sound/picture lag, which can be a problem with some cards.

E

Embattle

There can be problems with some graphics card conflicts and you'll need a VGA box for the other consoles on the monitor.

S

smurkin

I'm with Kameleon....that card is a thing of beauty :cool:

/wish I had one

S

smurkin

I'm not sure a tv tuner is included tho, & probably some of the "Tivo" prgramming features are specific for the states....

still a card to aspire to tho :cool:

G

GDW

Mount that 36" bad boy up on a wall, shouldnt matter what size the room is as long as it has one solid wall big enough.....then lie back and relax:)

Sorry to hear about the relationship:(

K

kameleon

a tv tuner is included in all the all in wonders

Users who are viewing this thread