Tunisia Attack

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I know it's a few days afterwards, but I'm finding the media response to this is quite out the ordinary.

I've never seen media outlets being so mixed up about it, it's usually GRR TERRORISTS GRR, but some of the stories seem quite positive.

FOX News responded with this; Notice the suspense around the buzzword 'Bomb' when it's quite clearly a grenade. http://news.sky.com/story/1509980/tunisia-terror-attack-new-footage-of-rampage

Whereas other rags such as this; http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...-british-survivor-5963674?ICID=FB_mirror_main seem quite positive.

This is what I've always sought after to be honest, when there's terrorist attacks on muslim soil on western people, show how the locals are not terrorists and actually help people.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Was watching Sky News last night and must admit I thought it was great to see normal Tunisian people out on the streets for the vigil. Also the footage that surfaced showing the local builders chasing the gunman and throwing bricks at him.

Although, just 20 miles south is the main stronghold for the more conservative Muslims where the gunman lived. For the people helping etc. they are very worried that the holiday makers will not come and many will be out of a job. At least the government reacted and started to protect the beaches and hotels.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Keep thinking about this. Can't help feeling 'There but for the grace of God go I.' Daughter works for Thomson head office and we always use them.

And why is it taking so long to identify the dead? How difficult is it to get a few police over there with interpreters to trawl the hospitals and morgues? .And match deserted hotel rooms to bodies. They'd be better off doing that than interviewing people at Gatwick when they land.

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Was watching Sky News last night and must admit I thought it was great to see normal Tunisian people out on the streets for the vigil. Also the footage that surfaced showing the local builders chasing the gunman and throwing bricks at him.

Although, just 20 miles south is the main stronghold for the more conservative Muslims where the gunman lived. For the people helping etc. they are very worried that the holiday makers will not come and many will be out of a job. At least the government reacted and started to protect the beaches and hotels.

I'm actually a bit surprised the hotels in Tunisia didn't have armed guards already; they do in Egypt and Jordan, usually with x-ray machines as well.

Gwadien

I'm actually a bit surprised the hotels in Tunisia didn't have armed guards already; they do in Egypt and Jordan, usually with x-ray machines as well.

Yeah, I don't understand why they get praise for knee-jerk responding to things like this, poor show really.

DaGaffer

Yeah, I don't understand why they get praise for knee-jerk responding to things like this, poor show really.

No-one's going to spend money until they have to. Jordan put in security because there were some random attacks on westerners in Petra etc and Egypt has had a few, although more often away from hotels (there have been a few tour bus attacks). It would be interesting to see if Morocco has taken note and done something about hotel security after all this. Probably not.

Got to admit, I'd be a bit dubious about going anywhere on the bottom half of the Mediterranean these days; although Sharm-El-Sheik is actually the only place I actually want to visit in that region anyway.

sayward

Resident Freddy
They do, as far as I can find out. But even in Egypt they're on the entries to the various complexes. Don't think I ever saw one on the beach apart for an odd patrol. Didn't this bloke land in a boat? If you look at the beach it's a long open stretch in front of lots of hotels with no divisions.

The other year I was on the beach in the Dom Rep when a boat landed to the side. A bloke got out in a complete wet suit and walked up this private island beach. Literally no one noticed except me. He was carrying a long metal thing. It turned out to be a metal detector but it could have just as easily been a gun.

Because people are on holiday they switch off there brains and become totally unobservant. He got in the water and must have swum up and down for ages before any of the guards noticed and hauled him out. Admittedly they'd've reacted sooner if he'd started shooting people.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sharm-El-Sheik is actually the only place I actually want to visit in that region anyway.
Unless you're into Scuba then don't bother. It's a custom made hole with amazing diving off the coast, but nothing else of note.

DaGaffer

Unless you're into Scuba then don't bother. It's a custom made hole with amazing diving off the coast, but nothing else of note.

I'd only be going for the diving. I've dived the other side of the Red Sea, but Sharm is supposed to the best place that's not a long haul flight away. Not that its likely to happen anytime soon, I think the likes of Disneyland and gites in France loom large in my holiday plans for the next few years.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Never appealed to me, the guy in my office used to go because he's a little money obsessed materialist, and he would go there to shop and pretend he was rich and come back with a hundred photos of expensive cars and fancy restaraunts ..he would never leave the hotel..mall for two weeks.

Gwadien

Never appealed to me, the guy in my office used to go because he's a little money obsessed materialist, and he would go there to shop and pretend he was rich and come back with a hundred photos of expensive cars and fancy restaraunts ..he would never leave the hotel..mall for two weeks.

Yeah I agree.

I'd rather go to somewhere a bit more out of the way to get a real idea of Egypt.

like the flying nappies of Cairo. :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Even on FH standards this was a surprisingly fast turn of the discussion topic o_O

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I'd only be going for the diving. I've dived the other side of the Red Sea, but Sharm is supposed to the best place that's not a long haul flight away. Not that its likely to happen anytime soon, I think the likes of Disneyland and gites in France loom large in my holiday plans for the next few years.
Some great diving around UAE and Oman. I used to dive a lot in Oman off Salalah and the desert island of Masirah, basically f'all else to do there, was either that or play badminton/golf.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I've done two types of Egypt holiday, Cairo and an amazing resort on the very outskirts of Hurghada. I felt very 'safe' in the resort (I went for the snorkelling).., Cairo however was for the most part unpleasant...!

sayward

Resident Freddy
Went to Taba Heights a few years ago using daughter's concessions. Really enjoyed it. Did not like the attitude of the Egyptian men to 2 women alone.
Lots of armed guards. All coaches etc checked underneath for 'bombs' as they entered the complex.

Did an excellent day trip to Petra via a ferry to Aqaba.
Didn't like the beach tho because we couldn't walk straight into the sea because of the reef.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I absolutely avoid countries of an Islamic nature.

Like London for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom