True Grit

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I remember watching this with my granda when I was young and based on that I will watch the remake for my granda, rest his soul. Originally it was John Wayne that played Cogburn (guy with the eye patch)

YouTube - True Grit Trailer 2010

anyone else seen it advertised?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I refuse to see this.

I'm sick of remakes. Anyone see the remake of Rollerball (one of the best sci-fi films of all time IMO). They take the original story and gut everything that's good, or mildly controversial, from it, wang a few hotties in and beef up the action.

Hollywood is entrenched in cowardice.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Scouse you don't have to see them, you don't even have to acknowledge them, but others like 'em and might enjoy 'em.

One good thing about remakes, like this one for example, is that watching the original now for me would be "Meh", quality and all would be just poor. (Time does things to movies, no matter how it's a golden memory). It's a distraction from the enjoyment. This remake will give me a chance to hear/see the story in a comfortable setting and it looks like an entertaining story. Always love a good western.

Same goes with omens, strasky &hutch, dukes of hazzard etc etc. They are great for the new generation and keeps the stories alive. Without the remakes, the new generation most likely wouldnt' see them and it would be only the "golden memory lickers" and "purists" who would.

So do you have to like 'em? No, but let others enjoy and quit that anti-remake whine that's gotten real old, real fast.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Chuff off. I'm expressing an opinion. I'm certainly not going to "quit the anti-remake whine" because it's got its foundations in fact.

Remakes tend to be shit because they change the story. I gave an example in my post - Rollerball. Absolute bag of shite.

It doesn't matter at all if films look old. If the story is good then that's the important thing. If kids are too thick to understand this then that's their loss. It never stopped me watching really old films from the age of about 12.

Or do you think we should be remaking The Godfather with Brad Pitt in the Vito Corleone role now, just so the retard 'yoof' can stump up some more cash on yet another inferior remake?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And i expressed my opinion.

Two sides, pros and cons, some like some don't.

This thread is about this particular remake though, so dropping this subject now(you can make a thread about it if you want).

----

Never saw true grit, so will have to try and remember to see this when it comes out. It looks like a good western type, even if less action based then young guns for example.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Starring Jeff Bridges and made by the Coen Brothers?

Hell yeh, I'll be getting off my horse to drink my milk.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
"The Town" looks quite good

... but imo I'll take the Heat remake any time of the day

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They're remaking Heat? It's not even that old?

And it was a remake anyway - of La Takedown, by the same director. :eek7:

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
"The Town" looks quite good

... but imo I'll take the Heat remake any time of the day
The Town is very very good, nice to see a crime/thriller movie done well. If my opinion isn't good enough, just check out all the rave reviews it's getting :p

Angrist

Part of the furniture
I refuse to see this.

I'm sick of remakes. Anyone see the remake of Rollerball (one of the best sci-fi films of all time IMO). They take the original story and gut everything that's good, or mildly controversial, from it, wang a few hotties in and beef up the action.

Hollywood is entrenched in cowardice.

I tend to agree with you on this subject Scouse.
I hate seeing good movies ruined by awful remakes.
However...This is the Coen brothers making a remake, they are not the usual Cashing in on christmas by ruining a good story kinda guys.
I would expect 'em to be very true to the original.

I'm gonna watch it. :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
its not a remake, its a new movie based on t same novel that the other one was based on...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Coen brothers are fucking boss, so it will be win.

Also John Waye was a shit, fat, no talent actor and I have no idea why people ever think he was good.

( And if you can recommend me some John Wayne movies that I can bear to watch all the way through, let alone think he was good in I will eat my words ).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nah. Wayne did a lot of shit, but he's got some absolute gems in there.

The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Shootist. I like Rio Bravo myself, even with the bizarre happening of songs halfway through.

And remember, they used to pump them out. A cursory look at IMDB will show you he did eleven films in 1933 alone.

When he got a good director and a good script he was eminently watchable.

I've finally watched that trailer. Damn them Coen brothers and their casting of Jeff Bridges :eek:

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Dunno about you guys, but I'm more excited about it having Jeff Bridges in over it being done by the Coen Brothers. Not so say they're bad, The Big Lebowski was made of so much win.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Saw it at the weekend. Really very good. Thought the original was pretty crap, though I can't stand anything with John Wayne in (one of the most wooden actors of all time)

It's not really a remake of the original film which was nothing like the book anyway. Its a different interpretation of the book.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Want to seeeeee!!!

Also, Jeff Bridges = win. :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
i soo wanna see it, going to bangkok today, if i find a cinema that has it ill be seeing it for sure. fuck you, worlds largest IMAX screen in bangkok is huge!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
gonna see it tuesday, cannot wait!! ...slightly worried every time JB comes on I'm gonna yell DUDE! and be overcome with the urge for a white russian but I'll get through it :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom