transporting bikes

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
multi-part question really:

What is the best way to transport bikes on a car, specific carrier ideas/makes etc ? and is it worth the hassle etc , or is it just an accident waiting to happen ?

and does it have much of an effect on fuel usage etc - is there a point at which it becomes cheaper to buy a replacement bike somewhere else rather than carry one around with a given frequency ?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
More shit sticking out of your car = more drag. more drag = more petrol

How far are you planning on transporting said bike and how much did you pay for it? Unless you are desperate to ride it as sson as you have unpacked you can just strip it down and stick it in the boot.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just buy a half decent rack, and make absolutely sure that it covers not one single part of either the licence plate or the rear lights.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
How far are you planning on transporting said bike and how much did you pay for it? Unless you are desperate to ride it as sson as you have unpacked you can just strip it down and stick it in the boot.

350 miles each way, 3-4 times a year. only a few hundred on bike - why im wondering cos its a long way , and i think even a small cost will rack up over not that long, but i really dont know :(

Just buy a half decent rack, and make absolutely sure that it covers not one single part of either the licence plate or the rear lights.

boot hanging one rather than a roof rack one ?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Boot ones are better, easier to get to the bikes, less leaning over the car, etc. The downside is that you have to pick and choose according to the design of your car's lights/plate.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Could always get one of those folding bikes and just lug it in the trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom