Transfering domain not so easily.co.uk

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I keep most of my domain names on UKReg so today I wanted to move a domain name from easily.co.uk to UKReg but they make such a song and dance out of the whole procedure. I did the whole thing online with Burton Hosting when I did the same last year, but easily insist I fill out a form from a downloaded PDF file then fax it to them or post it.

I don't have a fax machine, which is a stupid thing to use anyway, and I don't want to wait a few days (if I'm lucky) for normal post. I've had a little arguament with them over the phone and one guy eventually told me to attach it in an email, which I have, but now some other fool says it MUST be faxed to abide by company regulations.

It's bloody rediculous, the email I sent is from the same email address that's on the form, the same email address as my account with easily.co.uk and my signature, written by hand, is on the bottom of the form - so what's the difference? If I send it by post it will look exactly the same, if I send it by fax it will be in black and white and a bit harder to read - plus I'll have to go to the library to do it and there will be no connection between the person sending it and my info on the paper.

Some things just seem to be running backwards.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
from headers in emails can be faked

so someone could send an email from "you" telling them to transfer you domain to them

although someone could just as easily send a fax, but real paper seems to be more trusted

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I don't know why though, maybe if it was an online form. But this is a PDF file I've filled in by hand and scanned, it's pretty much the same thing as a fax only much easier to read.

Anyway I went out and bought a fax machine now. :)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I don't understand the whole fax thing either. If you cut out someone's sig and selotape it to another bit of paper most fax machines won't pick it up (as I can testify to first hand *cough*) so how on earth it's more trustworthy than email or anything else that's not an original signed document beats the hell out of me.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
This seems like they have a somewhat ancient system for handling this, probably as a method to deter people from moving away from them

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I thought that, I'll see how it goes. I talked to a woman there called Nathelie Peggelini (sp?), she seemed quite nice about it. I hadn't used a fax machine since 1886 before today, I had to phone up a couple of times to see if it got there right, sent it the wrong way around so all they got was a blank sheet first off - damn 20 year old technology! :)

Edit: I would have left the domain name with them but the control panel set up is a bit primitive and, worst of all, they charge three times the yearly going rate for their domain registrations, 25 quid for a .com for one year, they're out of their minds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom