Trackmania Nations. Free game download.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Trackmania fiends should be happy, Nadeo have released a free version for the ESWC. It has limited tracks, and is designed for competitive play, with international league tables. Cars get painted in the livery of your chosen nation, a bit like A1 Grand Prix.

Official site and download link here.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Saw this on Penny. Downloaded it and will give it a try this afternoon. Couldn't quite work out if you needed the original game to play, or if it is truely free.

It does install the lovely Starforce for your troubles though.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped said:
It does install the lovely Starforce for your troubles though.

*Gives it a miss*

Breed did that to me. Never again. :/

babs

Can't get enough of FH
No it doesn't, why would it? Firstly it's not on CD (which is what starforce checks for) and secondly it's FREE, they have no need to put copy protection on.

And no, it doesn't need the original, it's completely free and standalone.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yes, it does have Starforce in it.
You can still uninstall it and the game still works without it, so no major issue.
There are some bloody good games out there (like worms 4 mayhem) that i refuse to install or buy purely because of Starforce. I like to have control of the drivers and devices installed on my system and SF certainly isn't welcome.

And no, I don't pirate games. Yes, I do NO-CD as many as I can because I dont have the space to keep loads of CDs/DVDs handy.

And yes, Starforce is responsible for fucking my wireless USB adapter :|

babs

Can't get enough of FH
My apologies, I hadn't seen any sign of it (e.g. the 'protection installed' and disc checking) like you normally get with it.

Some seem to reckon it's left in to prevent tampering with the exe as it's being used for competition.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Thats right. Had a look around some of those anti-starforce sites and an interview with Starforce themselves - apparently they are including it in demo downloads for a similar reason : so people dont use the demo .exe to crack the full version. Great game btw, well worth a go

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Expert track i-8 is a nightmare. The number of times I got over the first set of jumps only to instinctively hit the reset button instead of brake is ridiculous.

phazey

One of Freddy's beloved
nice game, i shall play it at length this evening - luckily i have a logitech momo thingy lying around

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not sure if these are enabled once you have completed the expert practice tracks or some such drivel - but if you select load track and point to the nadeo folder you will find a pro sub-folder! ARGH!
In other news, I need a new joypad.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I'm quite addicted to this game ;) Been a long time since I played something that is so much fun. I think most driving games bore me as there's no real varitey. This is different. I'm slowly getting the hang of the after-touch kind of thing you do once you fly off of something.

Online isn't bad, but I've yet to find a server that doesn't tell me it's not enrolled on the ladder or something.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Very addictive. Although I'm not sure if im more addicted to the game itself or the track editor ;)

ALready done Silverstone, Hungaroring, Spa-Francorchamps, Hockenheim and Brands.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Can you put save them off and put them up for download Kryt. Haven't played with the editor yet. Wouldn't mind giving Silverstone a go :)

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Downloaded and was looking forward to playing. I got it all installed and ran the game, but it just gets to the enter name screen. It lets me slect the 3 dots where a name should go it even lets me slects OK but getting to either of these is a challenge. It seems as if it's ultra sensitive to my keyboard.

Any ideas? I wanna play, or at least get to a real menu.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Whipped : Can do once I remember the details to my webspace ;)

They're unfortunately not entirely accurate due to the limitations of the editor but as close as I can get :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Reeto

http://www.nmitconsultancy.co.uk/trackmania/MultiStorey.Challenge.Gbx
http://www.nmitconsultancy.co.uk/trackmania/Silverstone.Challenge.Gbx

Still working on them and Silverstone has a lot to be desired. I've made it so far so it "drives" like Silverstone rather than just looks like it. Will keep an update on the site. Still working on the rest just to make them play half right - most of them so far keep throwing you off track before you can blink.

Trouble is online, so many of the tracks are made by kids or people with hyperactive imagination : they'd rather be playing Pinball or making you drive on your roof than racing.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Kryten said:
Reeto

http://www.nmitconsultancy.co.uk/trackmania/MultiStorey.Challenge.Gbx
http://www.nmitconsultancy.co.uk/trackmania/Silverstone.Challenge.Gbx

Still working on them and Silverstone has a lot to be desired. I've made it so far so it "drives" like Silverstone rather than just looks like it. Will keep an update on the site. Still working on the rest just to make them play half right - most of them so far keep throwing you off track before you can blink.

Trouble is online, so many of the tracks are made by kids or people with hyperactive imagination : they'd rather be playing Pinball or making you drive on your roof than racing.
I'll give them a go when I get home. I agree with the online pinball thing. That's why I want to have a server setup so we can just put normal racing circuts on there. Wonder if Deebs has a spare server. If not I'll try and get one in the DMZ here at work at some point.

Clown

Part of the furniture
It's not a proper racing game though, is it. How can you expect more from a game that has wall rides and loops?

Kryten

Old Cow.
In a sense Clown, you're right - however generally one assumes that if when driving a vehicle with 4 wheels, more than 2 should be in contact with the track. - otherwise I might as well just grab an emulator and play some variant of Wipeout. The "pinball" games are entirely based on luck, and in most forms quite annoying to play - noone wins because they won the race, they won because they got a lucky bounce from some wall.

Everyone's got a different taste though and I quite like the arcadey-yet-nearly-normal racing style. Loop the loops and wall driving, absolutely fine - as long as I dont have to bounce off a building in a certain way to get back on the track.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
It was the same with Trackmania. If you played on some random guy's server, you could bet that the tracks he was running (that he'd made - why would anyone use anyone else's tracks on their own server?) would be designed so that on your first x many times through you were inevitably going to fall into some oh-so-cunning blind trap and have to restart.

Basically, people are stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom