Motoring Towbars...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, I want to fit a detatchable towbar to my 52-plate Civic Type-R.

However, it turns out that Type-R's are zero-rated to tow - but I don't actually want to tow - I want to grab me a thule bike rack so I can stick that on the towbar and get all my camping equipment and a couple of mates comfortably in the back of the car.

I went to a place in Nottingham and all he did was go through his towbar manuals and tell me that a type-r is not rated to tow. However, I've seen them (though they look awful - which is why I want a detatchable one) - so I know that it can be done.

Anyone know much about tow bars? This is becoming an expensive issue tbh - I go camping a lot and having to take two cars instead of one eats up the petrol and if I spent a couple of hundred on a decent detatchable towbar and a few hundred more on a really good bike rack it'll pay for itself by the summer.

Help! :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So, I want to fit a detatchable towbar to my 52-plate Civic Type-R.

However, it turns out that Type-R's are zero-rated to tow - but I don't actually want to tow - I want to grab me a thule bike rack so I can stick that on the towbar and get all my camping equipment and a couple of mates comfortably in the back of the car.

I went to a place in Nottingham and all he did was go through his towbar manuals and tell me that a type-r is not rated to tow. However, I've seen them (though they look awful - which is why I want a detatchable one) - so I know that it can be done.

Anyone know much about tow bars? This is becoming an expensive issue tbh - I go camping a lot and having to take two cars instead of one eats up the petrol and if I spent a couple of hundred on a decent detatchable towbar and a few hundred more on a really good bike rack it'll pay for itself by the summer.

Help! :(

If it's zero rated for towing it would be an illegal fit. Can't you use one of those strap type racks that hook under the tailgate? I used to have one on my old Alfa 156. Worked fine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If it's zero rated for towing it would be an illegal fit. Can't you use one of those strap type racks that hook under the tailgate? I used to have one on my old Alfa 156. Worked fine.

Nope. Last one of them I had has fucked the back of the car. Was a good one too - again nobody makes racks for the type-R.

I know it's not supposed to be fitted because of the zero rated tow - but it's never going to be used for towing. The only additional weight on the car would be the weight of the bike rack itself - so it's not like I'd be endangering anyone...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nope. Last one of them I had has fucked the back of the car. Was a good one too - again nobody makes racks for the type-R.

I know it's not supposed to be fitted because of the zero rated tow - but it's never going to be used for towing. The only additional weight on the car would be the weight of the bike rack itself - so it's not like I'd be endangering anyone...
Surely if they don't make them to fit your car, all it can be is a bodge to get one on it. Therefore you are endangering people because the rack might fall off while your going down the motorway. You can't be sure it won't because you will have no guarantee that it's been tested safe.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

It doesn't really matter what you say it is going to be used for when it comes to MOTs and whatnot. Otherwise you could tape up your headlights and claim you will only drive in the daytime etc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Surely if they don't make them to fit your car, all it can be is a bodge to get one on it. Therefore you are endangering people because the rack might fall off while your going down the motorway. You can't be sure it won't because you will have no guarantee that it's been tested safe.

I understand standard 3-door civic towbars fit just fine. I believe it's more to do with the engine - but an extra 20kilos ain't going to make a difference...

It doesn't really matter what you say it is going to be used for when it comes to MOTs and whatnot.

This is a consideration - but it'd be an eagle eyed MOT guy who knew that a Type-R is zero-tow rated.

@DaGaffer - are you sure it's an "illegal fit" - rather than just illegal to tow?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bigger car it is then. :)

Nah. Can't justify a bigger car for just a couple of years. Collossal waste of cash and environmentally irresponsible.

Plus - my Type-R is an absolute scream to drive.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nah. Can't justify a bigger car for just a couple of years. Collossal waste of cash and environmentally irresponsible.

Plus - my Type-R is an absolute scream to drive.
Environmentally. You could probably get an estate car that is more fuel efficient than your type r.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Environmentally. You could probably get an estate car that is more fuel efficient than your type r.

Yep - but 1) massive waste of cash and 2) it's more environmentally responsible to keep your car until it becomes uneconomical to run it. Whole-lifecycle use rather than just fuel use...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
@DaGaffer - are you sure it's an "illegal fit" - rather than just illegal to tow?

I believe it's illegal for the mechanic to fit it rather than for you to have it. It would probably take a really OCD cop to spot it, but it would definitely get picked up at the MOT.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I believe it's illegal for the mechanic to fit it rather than for you to have it. It would probably take a really OCD cop to spot it, but it would definitely get picked up at the MOT.

Might try it on at a Honda dealer then.

"But YOU GUYS FITTED IT" ;)

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I'd get an official verdict on it if I were you mate, ideally in writing. Googling about a bit sounds to me like it would get through an MOT as long as it was attached securely but if someone rear ended you and told your insurer your un-approved tow bar did extra damage to their car you could be on shaky ground.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
In the event of a rear end collision, towbars can bypass the car's safety features and lead to more serious injuries than might otherwise occur. I'd imagine that fitting a towbar to a vehicle not designed to take one would only make things even worse.

You have the wrong car for the job. Get a proper car, like mine :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Get yourself a used landrover for camping trips, get all your kit in.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
A knee tremblingly exciting 1980s Lexus.

Himse

FH is my second home
Get something with at least a V6 in.

You're going to be doing lots of cycling, at least make up for it by burning incredible amounts of fuel.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Tyres can be changed. Beigeness is more difficult to shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom