18. All About Eve
19. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
20. Apocalypse Now
21. Crash
22. Sunrise
23. The Godfather
24. Rear Window
25. Sunset Boulevard

I've seen 1,3,4,5,6,8,9,14,17,19,20,23 and 24 and tbh I wonder what the hell they were thinking (or drinking) at times and also why "Snakes on Planes" isn't in there :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A surprising list from the readers of Total Film; very 'media studies' (Ingmar Bergman films and silent movies are always a sign of pretentiousness imho). I've seen most of them, and I'd probably put five of them in my personal top 25. Some of them are great films but not the best representitives of their genre and/or director; for instance Woody Allen and Steven Speilberg are both represented but while you can make an argument for Jaws, Shindler's List is a better film (as is SPR in many ways). Same with Manhatten; great film but I can think of 2 or 3 better ones. And which "Crash" are they talking about? The recent one, or the David Cronenburg amputee-shagging one?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I dunno mate. I presume the latter, but tbh I'd have eXistenZ in there instead of crash if it were up to me.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
I got as far as number 3 before the laughter took over.

Jaws is a poorly written, weakly acted, terribly put together film: its just mindless entertainment but not nearly good enough at that to make this sort of list. Dunno what 'Total Film' readers are smoking but Ill pass on it ;)

Any list putting Godfather Part II below Goodfellas deserves to be ignored, so

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Texas Chainsaw and Crash above The Godfather?

Puh-leeease.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The absence of Bladerunner makes me think this list is mainly shit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
supersaint said:
Heh,why is it even in the list? :)

Because its a quite horrific and distasteful film, and thats what a horror film should be - not entertainment.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
0_0

4.Fight club,
8. The Empire Strikes Back
9. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
19. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Are the ones that sadly don't suprise me. The first 3 are reasonably fun films, but in no way shape or form great. Fight club shouldn't be in a top 50 films, let alone at number 4!

And as for 19, it was totally gash then and still is now. If you are going to put a great old horror film in put the original Phantom of the Opera, or even the first Omen film.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
The absence of Bladerunner makes me think this list is mainly shit.

What about FH/BW's favourite ejaculation - Shawshank Redemption ?

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Shawank Redemption - Is manipulative film making at it's finest.

That list should titled '25 Films that its Cool to love the most at the moment'

I see no Herzog! Kurosawa! Motherfucker!

I don't see any Altman in there either, although i could be wrong but Long Goodbye and McCabe and Mrs Miller are two of my favourite films, and as such are clearly two of the best films ever made.

and whats wrong with Bergman?

Dr Strangelove! where the fuck is that?

mank!

Part of the furniture
there's some top notch films in there but the majority are distinctly average, only included because the voters have been brainwashed into thinking they're "classics".

i think the top 250 on imdb is a marginally better reflection of great films but you still find a lot of films included on the basis that they're new and popular.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Draylor said:
I got as far as number 3 before the laughter took over.

Jaws is a poorly written, weakly acted, terribly put together film: its just mindless entertainment but not nearly good enough at that to make this sort of list. Dunno what 'Total Film' readers are smoking but Ill pass on it ;)

I give you that Jaws 2, 3 and 4 fit into that category but if you find yourself left high and dry by the original then you're definately in a minority.

It was the film that invented the "summer blockbuster" and was f*cking great! (Top 10 for me!)

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Where the hell is Starship Troopers, Akira and Alien
they should be on the list.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
PLightstar said:
Where the hell is Starship Troopers, Akira and Alien
they should be on the list.

The only one in with a shout there is Alien, but tbfh Aliens is probably better.

Starship Troopers is top throwaway fun (and not as shallow as some people believe) and Akira was visually ground-breaking but neither of them should be anywhere near that list.

(IMHO of course) :)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Well, I haven't got a top 25 as yet, so I'll give my top 5. Not for any particular reason though. Oh well.

1: American Beauty (Been my unchallenged favourite film for about 5 years now)
2: Starship Troopers (Scouse said it well, 'cept I think it's a work of art :))
3: The English Patient (I feel I'm the only person in the world who didn't think this was slow)
4: Mulholland Drive (A lovely "puzzle" of a film)
5: Seven (Brad's best, Morgan's best. It has John Doe. It makes you think. It is eshellent)

Please note: This is also in my opinion. I do not, under any circumstances feel I should be insulted for my choices. Biatches. :)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Sir Frizz said:
Well, I haven't got a top 25 as yet, so I'll give my top 5. Not for any particular reason though. Oh well.

3: The English Patient (I feel I'm the only person in the world who didn't think this was slow)
5: Seven (Brad's best, Morgan's best. It has John Doe. It makes you think. It is eshellent)

Please note: This is also in my opinion. I do not, under any circumstances feel I should be insulted for my choices. Biatches. :)

Those films are all shit!!! ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sir Frizz said:

You're a big fan of downbeat endings aren't you?

leggy

Probably Scottish
starship troopers? Are you smoking crack?

I can name 25 shit films that will be further up the queue to appear in total film's gayest list of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom