Tosh to stop HD DVD Development

Yaka

Part of the furniture
According this blab on reuters Toshiba have decided to end production of the HDDVD equipment which pretty muchs means theres no way back at all for the format. wonder how long till serenity will be on bluray now

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I read in the interweb news that Walmart will only sell BluRay as of June this year, as is reflected in that article.. I guess it's RIP HD-DVD tbh.

rynnor

Rockhound
Cool - for once the better system won! Betamax rules!!! :m00:

Draylor

Part of the furniture
'ello Tosh: got a backup plan?

Least surprising news ever: theyve been selling off stock in recent months, players for $100 with a bunch of disks thrown in etc.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Toshiba are worth more to the world's technology markets, tenfold of Sony.
I was expecting this to last a little longer though - to the point where I stipulated that the war wouldn't be won by either side, but both batted off at the end by direct delivery systems.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Thing is, I've been reading over some of the tech forums and the HD-DVD bl33ters are still defending it instead of saying "ok HD-DVD has 99% lost, lets all get behind blu-ray and phase out SD and push for a HD future". I just want HD titles, and lots of them - the sooner one of the two bit the dust, the better. I'm glad it was HD-DVD tbh.

Draylor is spot on with the "cheap player, dozen free titles" tactic; makes perfect sense.

rynnor

Rockhound
I just want HD titles, and lots of them - the sooner one of the two bit the dust, the better. I'm glad it was HD-DVD tbh.

Thats my attitude too - this war has just held back High Definition - people didnt want to risk buying the wrong player > low sales of disks and high prices > less demand for HD productions - now hopefully it will become mass market in a year or two.

old.user4556

I agree with Kryten though, I think downloadable content will be the long term future. I'm not sure how/when, broadband in this country is too poop in my opinion.

FTTH and SLU please !

Chilly

Balls of steel
imagine the party the sony boys are having ;) double bonuses this year lads!

old.user4556

You mean the party that the Matsushita, Sony, Philips, Thomson, Pioneer, Samsung, LG (and some others i can't remember off the top of my head) are having. Everyone sees this as Sony v's Tosh which is a misconception.

Just wiki'd; 250 members of the BDA. Big party. :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The negative reaction from this story is going to be huge, and Tosh have not helped by staying quiet about it.

I am glad I never fully commited to either. My 8 or so hd-dvd's will continue to work on my 360 drive, and all my pre-orders and recent purchases have been blu-ray. I hope this does wrap up quickly though, and everything gets released on only one format now.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've avoided Blu-Ray so far for one reason. Extras. As far as I see it, Blu-Ray was a High Def Pic with the same extras you'd find on a normal DVD. At least the HD-DVDs I own have some funky picture in picture content and web enabled downloads.

I know that BD Profile 1.1 supports PiP and that Profile 2.0 will bring in Web Enabled Content, but how long do I have to wait?

From a quick google, it seems that Resident Evil : Extinction and Sunshine are currently the only two Blu-Ray films offering PiP commentarys. However, they appear to only be the Region 1 (A?) version of the discs.

At least ALL HD-DVDs had no region coding, whereas some of the newer blu-ray titles do.

I, for one, do not think the better format won.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
About time. I'd guess that adoption would've been slightly faster if it wasn't for this pointless format war.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
So when will we be able to buy a blu ray 360 player?

dunno but there a heck of lot of peeps who had issues with HD DVd drive addon over hdmi on xbox forums, i never had problem me self but alot of peeps had losss of signal etc both with this and the market place video downloads. ms would need to sort that shit out first.

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
Just what are you supposed to be able to do with Picture in Picture anyway? :S

I just like watching the ruddy movies..

Saw this coming a long while ago and am glad it has at last.. is about time.

Sony is a much more fashionable brand name than Toshiba and BluRay sounds far more cool than HD-DVD.. was a given =]

Is their own fault for selling the players at such huge prices; sales weren't going to pick up until they had a substantial movie library, which looked very uncertain and either way was going to take a long time.

Silly.. but meh :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
I read a few articals months back that suggested Microsoft were subsidising the HD DVD drive to heavly because they want to drag the war out untill they have a download service avalible. Not sure how likely or true that is but no way there is profit in a drive with 6 free disks for $80

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Sony is a much more fashionable brand name than Toshiba and BluRay sounds far more cool than HD-DVD.. was a given =]

This was not a Sony v Tosh competition Blu-Ray Specification was developed by an association of of over 150 companies. the biggest of which were Sony, Matsushita, Hitachi, Samsung, Sun, HP, Pioneer, Phillips, TDK, Thompson, 20th Century Fox, Sharp, Mitsubishi....cba go see blu-ray.com or google it.

Still don't get why Sony was seen as the front player. Was it only due to having the first players available. All of which will need updating to work with the newer standards. Many manufacturers were waiting for the Specs to be finalised prior to finishing products off. Panasonic, part of the Matsushita Electric Company will be one of the first to have a full spec 2.0 player with Ethernet connection for BD-Live (networked game play). I saw it demonstrated in Dubai last week and can't wait to get one.

FYI Matsushita is five times the size of Sony. Also, Sony is one MEI's biggest component buyers. Which is why I don't tend to buy Sony. Why pay more when the components inside are no different.

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
Told me :) Ta for the info.

From the layman's point of view however (or at least mine), this has very much looked like a Sony vs. Tosh war.. =s

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Now I just need the next PS3 Firmware update to bring me up to BD 2.0

old.user4556

They should bin all extras and use the space for lower compression for higher quality, akin to Superbit.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes and No G, they should simply put extras on a second (high definition) disc.

old.user4556

Or that ! ;)

LotR extended editions in blu-ray NOW PLEASE.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
*shrugs*. Maybe I'm getting old, but I think HD in general has a whiff of The Emperor's New Clothes about it. I've been buying BD versions of the occasional new movie where I think the type of film justifies it, but most of the time I look at a £25+ BD release and then look at the usual "5 for £30" DVD deals in Zavvi or wherever and just pick up a bunch of normal DVDs. I certainly can't imagine replacing my extensive DVD collection the way I did with VHS. Maybe now there's one format there'll be more price competition and I'll warm to the format, but in the meantime I could care less. (And before you ask, my eyes are awesomely lasered and I have a full 1080p Bravia telly).

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Regular DVD's used to cost a fortune...this is a new market. just wait till it becomes a bit saturated and the prices will drop and you will get all the extra's etc you want.

Special edition DVD's didnt come out immediately either. Although they did have some directors commentary etc which I never bothered with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom