Top Five Search

Rubric

Part of the furniture
My browser keeps directing me to the top five search web page. I have run spybot and cleared everything out but this still keeps happening so i have come to the home of the experts for some advice.

Make it stop...... Make it stop.......

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Rubric

First off, which browser do you use? If Internet Explorer, start it up, then click 'Tools > Internet Options' and see what the homepage is set too on the first tab which is displayed. It could be a webpage or spyware changed it once and, whilst your system may be clean, you still need to change it back to whatever you want.

If you use other browsers such as Firefox or Opera (which are less vulnerable to attacks, as yet) then try doing the same and see what happens.

If the problem still reoccurs after changing the homepage, just post again :)

Kind Regards

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Hey Jonty,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I wasnt very clear on my post. Its not a homepage issue that is fine and set to google. I am using Internet Explorer for my sins as it is my work PC. Version 6.0.28.

What is happening is when i am browsing sometimes when i click on a link it takes me to this top five search page and the address for the page i was wanting to go to appears in the search field on that web page. Its driving me crazy now.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Try HijackThis, this lists all the browser objects and startup objects on your system. Be careful as you don't want to delete certain objects, but it might be able to remove this problem.
Make sure you backup the things you delete (look for a tickbox in HijackThis)

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Thanks ive done that ill see what happens now.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi again

What is the address which you get redirected to? You may want to try Googling it and see what comes up. Sometimes support pages will mention the address or name of the site to help identify the problem at hand.

Kind Regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Rubric

Try downloading HijackThis or CWShredder as JingleBells kindly suggested. From what I've read TopFiveSearch.com is a variant of these annoying browser hijacks, and these utilities should hopefully resolve your troubles. Note that some anti-spyware programs may not adequately remove all variants of these problems.

Hope this helps

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Cheers Jonty ill have to try that second one. Hijack this didnt work.

Thanks again.

Jonty said:
Hi Rubric

Try downloading HijackThis or CWShredder as JingleBells kindly suggested. From what I've read TopFiveSearch.com is a variant of these annoying browser hijacks, and these utilities should hopefully resolve your troubles. Note that some anti-spyware programs may not adequately remove all variants of these problems.

Hope this helps

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Rubric

Hope that works, but if it doesn't you might want to consider installing Microsoft AntiSpyware (it's free). It's currently in beta, but it is rather good. As well as hopefully getting rid of the problem, it also has a special set of options for restoring Internet Explorer options such as the homepage.

Kind Regards

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Jonty said:
Hi Rubric

Hope that works, but if it doesn't you might want to consider installing Microsoft AntiSpyware (it's free). It's currently in beta, but it is rather good. As well as hopefully getting rid of the problem, it also has a special set of options for restoring Internet Explorer options such as the homepage.

Kind Regards

Thanks for that one Jonty.

I went to download it but it needs validation on the website and this is my work PC. I dont fancy explaining to the boss why i need all the information to download it. It seemed to disapear for a while after running all the antispyware stuff but now its back. I wonder where its coming from.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Rubric, if your works comp is on a network, and you have not been visiting any sites that may cause the trojan to install, or if its a 'shared' comp (from personal experience, the chap on the other shift decided that 85 gazillion free smileys was too good an opportinity to miss :) )it could well be somewhere else and just coming back to yours as it spreads itself about the network.
We had an outbreak at work of AGOBOT. it took weeks to clear because some knob couldn't be arsed to follow the instructions on how to remove it.

Something else to look at at least.

Later

Gengee

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Rubric

You can choose not to validate. Just click on the download button then choose not to validate on the next screen (this is assuming you can install such software on your work PC, sometimes installation privilege rights are not given).

Also note what Gengi rightly says, especially with you being at work.

Kind Regards

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Thanks again guys. I tried to do it without validation but it just shuts my browser window. We are on a network so it probably is that.

I only visit mainstream website so i dont know where i would be getting it from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom