FH is my second home
Bodhi said:
1) GT4:prologue
2) Doom 3
3) The Getaway: Black Monday
4) Pro Evo 4
5) San Andreas
6) NFS:U2

And we're supposed to listen to someone that thinks bug fests like the getaway are superior to masterpieces like pro ev 4? Doom 3 was totally mediocre, nothing more than a predictable engine seller. The Getaway was much like the first, great ideas - but far too short and really poorly executed. San Andreas is another gta3 with nobs on and NFSU2 is a massive step down from the first. Not played GT4:p. 2004 was a shite year for games tbh, about the only thing of any real notice was Pro Ev 4. The best game of the year should have been Deus Ex 2, if only they hadn't cocked it up and made it incredibly easy, short and without the love of the first.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Pro Evo 4, Half-life2, San Andreas, Burnout 3 and Dawn of War in no particular order.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Swift^ said:
And we're supposed to listen to someone that thinks bug fests like the getaway are superior to masterpieces like pro ev 4? Doom 3 was totally mediocre, nothing more than a predictable engine seller. The Getaway was much like the first, great ideas - but far too short and really poorly executed. San Andreas is another gta3 with nobs on and NFSU2 is a massive step down from the first. Not played GT4:p. 2004 was a shite year for games tbh, about the only thing of any real notice was Pro Ev 4. The best game of the year should have been Deus Ex 2, if only they hadn't cocked it up and made it incredibly easy, short and without the love of the first.
Nice of you to attack someone else's list before providing one of your own. Doesn't make you look wrong about bumper cam in the slightest!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Swift^ said:
NFSU2 is a massive step down from the first.

I've played both quite a bit, and if you ask me they're more or less the same. 2 having better graphics and thats about it. What exactly is it that makes it worse? Is it shitty on the consoles or something, cos on the PC it's pretty good.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I've not included a list because there's only been about 3 genuinely good games released this year.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
nath said:
I've played both quite a bit, and if you ask me they're more or less the same. 2 having better graphics and thats about it. What exactly is it that makes it worse? Is it shitty on the consoles or something, cos on the PC it's pretty good.

It's shite on the PS2, really shite. Awful framerates and massive sections of slowdown. Textures are really bland and the soft focus effect they've applied to the feel of the game makes it very difficult to spot where some textures begin and others start; often with track greys, meaning you struggle to see the track at speed. Also the AI is fucking abysmal, especially in drift modes.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well, all of those things aren't problems on the PC (with the exception of the AI - which I haven't really had a problem with) so I guess that explains it.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Only game i really liked thats been released this year was GTA- San Andreas

Also liked Pirates ^^
Games like Doom3 and Halflife2/Halo2 were a disappointment, i also really hoped Deus Ex 2 would have been better :( (Well as good as the first)

Chilly

Balls of steel
iv played about 4 games this year cos i was a daoc whore (stopped now thankfully!) but id certainly say HL2 is uber, i bought and completed it in about 4 days or summat, great fun, great gfx, great gameplay, great storey (actually crap storey, but fun), great random stuff to do like controlling the sand bug jobbies with smelly bombs etc.

Gravity gun > j00

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Chilly said:
iv played about 4 games this year cos i was a daoc whore (stopped now thankfully!) but id certainly say HL2 is uber, i bought and completed it in about 4 days or summat, great fun, great gfx, great gameplay, great storey (actually crap storey, but fun), great random stuff to do like controlling the sand bug jobbies with smelly bombs etc.

Gravity gun > j00

Exactly why it shouldn't be in contention for game of the year.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Then again I completed it just over a week playing on v.hard as i didnt go for 4 hour straight runs. But im still piling on the hours in hl2 deathmatch and the odd game of cs, and will probably continue to do so when the mods start rolling out(ie DoD). Which in my mind is what makes this game with the original one of the best.

Sar

Part of the furniture
It took me a month, playing it on and off. 4 days to me seems like constant play.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Swift^ said:
Exactly why it shouldn't be in contention for game of the year.

Disagree. Longevity is a good thing, but isn't the be all and end all of games.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
No, but the *good* games are those that by the end, you feel you've worked hard for a long time, covered a lot of ground and generally got the satisfaction of working towards the goal for a fair period of time.

Games I've completed in a couple of days (no matter how good) leave me feeling very disappointed and upset. Even those games that aren't great that take a good while to complete leave you with a feeling of a job well done and satisfaction. I've played shit games and felt I've enjoyed them more at the end due to "getting your money's worth". Was HL2 really worth 2 years of hype and £40? Fuck, no.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Actually I did feel satisfied at the end. I felt I got my moneys worth (CS:S certainly helped in that respect, but I see no reason that shouldn't count).

Sar

Part of the furniture
HL2 had a good 20-30 hours of gameplay. TBH that's the average for games nowadays - we're a far cry (b-dum-tsch) from the likes of BG2 with it's 300 hours of gameplay.

I bought Disgaea the other day, still to play it yet, but it looks schweet.

:)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Swift^ said:
It's shite on the PS2, really shite. Awful framerates and massive sections of slowdown. Textures are really bland and the soft focus effect they've applied to the feel of the game makes it very difficult to spot where some textures begin and others start; often with track greys, meaning you struggle to see the track at speed. Also the AI is fucking abysmal, especially in drift modes.
I do see what you mean about the slowdowns and blur-o-vision, it really is shockingly coded in places. Prologue proved the PS2 could make city racing look awesome with no slowdown, EA really do have no excuse, apart from maybe they're a bunch of incompetent buffoons. They don't really get in the way of the game in my opinion tho, and as long as you dont treat it too seriously it's a good laugh.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah it's fine to pick up and play every now and then for a giggle with your mates, but it's not really a game you're gonna wanna sit down and play for a couple of hours, which is a shame. Potential's there, the love isn't. Like pretty much anything that's come out of an EA studio in the last 3 years. Good games are the ones loved by the people making them, good games are not made by overworked, overpressured, underskilled workers.

SiD

Fledgling Freddie
I thought HL2 was mediocre, collection of bad ideas and bad film plots scripted badly. It's engine performed nicely it's graphics were not bad but didn't grab me like the first one did ... infact it was a ture just to finish it in the end.

Doom3 was mediocre because they forgot to write a story or hire some good mappers model makers or have an ounce of originality... but we all knew it was going to be like that. doom3 was a showcase for the engine ... stick to that please ID, don't make another game :/

Halo 2 was just halo 1 with a few more guns and few different levels ... much the same tat as the first one. FPS on a console never works for me after being a hardcore PC FPS gamer for a long time it just sucks balls.

GTA:SA was a damn good game I still come back to it almost every day still ... months later :p, Driving games are the province of consoles as pcs are the FPS gaming platform.

As someone said it's all in the reviewers descion really, unless it's voted on by a large cross-section ... GOTY awards by any old bod aint gonna cut it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom