Top 10 Games of 2004

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Yup do wonder about Halo 2 getting a lot of these GOTY awards... As i thought the game was pretty poor.

GTA:SA was the GOTY for me, with HL2 a close second.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I shall be standing by my Burnout 3 as overall GOTY. Best multiplayer since Burnout 2. :)

San Andreas was good, but nothing out of the ordinary. And what's so good about UT2k4? Load of arse tbh.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well i personally enjoyed Halo 2 more then Half-Life 2, and as such, would've ranked San Andersson to number two place, leaving HL2 on the third spot.

Halo 2 vs HL2 is due to a few things, in my opinion(not forcefed to you((you being noone in particular)) Won't comment on San An as haven't played it yet. The reason it would get a number two spot infront of HL2 is simply because of the (probable) reasons Vice City was a top game in my mind. Will correct my thoughts if not.

-Halo 2 works the same speed and way on each console. HL2 on the other hand will work different for all people.

- Halo 2 multiplayer is magnific, taking into consideration such possibilities as ,Teams moving from game to game and proximity chat. Can't comment on HL2 multiplayer but for a console to manage this kind of multiplayer action, it gives it quite a boost in score.

- Halo 2 has more of the "playing a movie" feel to it, ofcourse leaving it vurnerable to the brainless hack 'n shoot, but i never did get numbed by it.

- The world of Halo 2 is more, how to say, magnetic, but this is simply a matter of taste.

- Tech, tech, tech. I can't help but to be amazed by how easy(as a hardcore mouse and KB player) it was to pick up the controller and still wtfpwn those alien critters :p

Just a few there...but...i guess it all comes down to opinions and those are like...i quote..."A**holes, everybody's got 'em and they all stink."

EDITORIAL: Could replace San An with Burnout 3 'cause from the vehicular based games, it was top notch. Though hard to pick between BO3 and NFSU2.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
old.Tohtori said:
EDITORIAL: Though hard to pick between BO3 and NFSU2.

Is that supposed to be funny?

I'm genuinely curious btw...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Sir Frizz said:
Is that supposed to be funny?

I'm genuinely curious btw...

Nope.

NFSU2 is one about building cars, tuning and driving them with, well, skill(not too tuff). It's fun to paint and make cars. Might have something to do with the fact that i love evo's.

BO3 is about driving cars in a more arcade way and with major speed as your co-pilot.

Both strong games, only a shame that EA games won't merge these two, but it's two games selling instead of one so...can't blame them.

Why? :p

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Gamepsot gave WoW the title of GOTY, however at the end of the day its always down to the opinion of a few people unless it has been voted on...Which I believe Gamespy had a seperate function for "Gamers Choice Awards".

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
old.Tohtori said:
NFSU2 is one about building cars, tuning and driving them with, well, skill(not too tuff). It's fun to paint and make cars. Might have something to do with the fact that i love evo's.

Honestly, if you think NFS: U2 does that well, you must buy at all costs GT4. Not only does it cater for the simulation crowd, it also has everything NFS has with regards to street racing.

I know it's not out yet, but the bar is so high, NFS only features as an innocent bystander in comparison.

Even then, NFS: U2 is so flawed in just about every way, it boggles my mind how people can get any form of enjoyment out of it. The first one was pretty quality, considering it was something new. But the second one was little more than a FIFA "update". Shit frame rates, shit camera, shit pseudo arcade style gameplay. The only things i'd say it has going for it is the tuning and the graphics. The sense of speed is also still impressive when compared to other racers excluding B3.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
shit camera

Really not an issue if you're using the bumper view which any self respecting racing game fan should.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
Really not an issue if you're using the bumper view which any self respecting racing game fan should.

Why? That only applies if you use a racing wheel.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Noway - any controller, any racing game, bumper view is far better. For one, the feeling of speed is so much better. Plus it's much easier to control, you can be more accurate with turns etc.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Heeeeeeeellll no! How the fook can you race with bumper view with a pad or (God forbid) a keyboard? You'd be all over the show tbh. Well i am atleast. :/

PS. Are you an alien?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Last time I checked... no.

Honestly, try it for a while, once you get used to it you'll be SO much better with bumper view than with outside view.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
i use bumper view for liscence in GT. But i prefer the outside view, nothing quite like that grin of satisfaction as your car does a handbrake car around a corner spraying mud

*sigh*

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ach - how can anyone play in toy car view. I thought all views except cockpit and bumper had been banned by the EU ?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I don't like having to use top-rear views on driving games, but I've never found a cockpit view that isn't a pisstake.

Bumper view is for people who don't dare go sideways. :<

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I've always wondered why games insist on it being bumper view instead of an 'in the drivers seat' view. Maybe having a bonnet and steering wheel that turns uses up processing power, I don't know. I will never play and racing games from outside the car though, not since Outrun anyway.

WoW would get my vote but it's not out in the UK yet.

I was impressed with Pro Evo 4, Rome: Total War and Warhammer 40k: Dawn of war.

Still haven't felt the need to bother with Half Life 2 yet and don't have an X-Box for Halo 2. Neither really grab me as 'must have' games.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
There's an inside view in Colin Mcrae - has been for ages, it's just really rather rubbish.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
You can see further ahead with the outside-rear view, or get the impression of the same which I prefer to 1mm-off-the-ground bumper view :p

I hate generic racing games anyway... race on the same perfectly recreated, real-world racing track for the 50th game this year = zzzz. There was something fun about cutting 0.1sec off your laptime in Mario Kart(snes), but none of these recent games capture the same feel.

Rome: Total War gets my vote. I had to stop playing due to headaches oO. The campaign part is still too easy, I was hoping for better AI this time.

I don't trust magazine reviews, they're all bribed/threatened into submission. Black & White was a perfect example of this... since then I've stopped buying gaming mags.

Sar

Part of the furniture
-Halo 2 works the same speed and way on each console. HL2 on the other hand will work different for all people.

That's not even a reason!

- Halo 2 multiplayer is magnific, taking into consideration such possibilities as ,Teams moving from game to game and proximity chat. Can't comment on HL2 multiplayer but for a console to manage this kind of multiplayer action, it gives it quite a boost in score.

Can't comment on HL2 multiplayer (AKA CS:S or HL2: DM, but still H2's mp is better?

Um...

- Halo 2 has more of the "playing a movie" feel to it, ofcourse leaving it vurnerable to the brainless hack 'n shoot, but i never did get numbed by it.

Half Life 2 is the ultimate "playing a movie" game. The atmosphere is outstanding.

- The world of Halo 2 is more, how to say, magnetic, but this is simply a matter of taste.

True, I preferred HL2's world over the Halo world.

- Tech, tech, tech. I can't help but to be amazed by how easy(as a hardcore mouse and KB player) it was to pick up the controller and still wtfpwn those alien critters :p

Mouse & keyboard pwn any controllers for FPS games ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! Any reasonably seasoned FPS player will tell you that.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Sar said:

Mouse & keyboard pwn any controllers for FPS games ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! Any reasonably seasoned FPS player will tell you that.
It's really quite telling, I feel, that they have to build auto-aim into every console FPS (that I'm aware of). I don't know how many PC FPSs have auto-aim - I seem to remember the original HL had it, but I can't recall any others with it that I've noticed. Maybe lots have, but the fact that I haven't noticed it (and obviously there being no need for it) is kinda the point.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
You can see further ahead with the outside-rear view, or get the impression of the same which I prefer to 1mm-off-the-ground bumper view :p

True, but you can take turns *so* much more accurately and with a far better racing line from bumper view.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Pff. I've no problem with powerslides - but (with the exception of burnout x) they're useless in driving games. Proper racing lines for pr0s!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Right. If you don't use bumper cam you are a cum-dribbling gaylord. You want to know why?

• You have 10x the chance of hitting an apex. With bumper cam you know exactly what the nose of the car is doing when it is doing it. This is why when I'm driving I'm looking at the road ahead rather than the road I'm on capiche?
  • Can't go sideways with bumper cam? Please, get some skills. If you can't judge what your car is going to do with the amount of power you're applying you should be playing Mario Kart and leave proper driving games to us big boys eh? I will out-powerslide anyone in GT4:prologue with the M5. On bumper cam. Bring it you pussies.
  • Bumper cam focuses you on that patch of tarmac if you're driving properly irl you should really be looking at. But yet I yearn for the days when I drove my car sitting 2 metres above the rear seats! The realism was uncanny.
And if you don't use bumper cam you're a fag. Get it yet?

Oh and my top 10 of 2004?

1) GT4:prologue
2) Doom 3
3) The Getaway: Black Monday
4) Pro Evo 4
5) San Andreas
6) NFS:U2

I'm bored now. 2 key points tho are 1) Getaway 2 was better than san andreas 2) GIMME GT4!!!

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Bodhi said:
[*]Bumper cam focuses you on that patch of tarmac if you're driving properly irl you should really be looking at.

Pretty much agree with Bodhi, but this is plain wrong. IRL the drivers eyes are mostly looking in the direction that the car is going. If you turn the wheel right then you turn your head right, if you're turning left then you look to the left. The problem with bumper view and in car views is that they're fixed looking ahead with no consideration given to the direction of travel. The only advantage of the out of car views is that they do follow this.

Sadly out of car views also look shite, the perspective is wrong, and they are unrealistic in so many other ways. What I want is a decent in-car or bumper view that swings around like a real drivers view would.

On another note I haven't owned a console since the original PS, long since consigned to a box in the attic, but GT4 may just be the excuse I need to buy a PS2. I loved GT and GT2, never played 3 but GT4 looks like it will be awesome.

RB

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh the only 2004 game I've played is Doom3, which I found to be slightly lacking in greatness. it wouldn't have made the top three imo, unless the other games of 2004, which I've not played yet, were worse :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Doom 3 is a candidate for worst game of 2004. Sorry Bods, you're wronger than Jonathon King's plans for a boarding school in his en-suite.

Not just because it is Doom and is a disappointment. Rarely have I played anything as awful. Come back John Romero, some Daikatana would improve this manifest repugnance !

My other big disappointment was the expansion pack for Paikiller. I loved the original. The single-player levels on the expansion are badly made tosh though.

This year I enjoyed Halo 2, Half-life 2 and creating a lesbian neighbourhood in The Sims 2. Lots of number 2s for me this year. Which ironically brings us back to Doom 3 which is a big steaming pile of them. Get it yet ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom