Too much current

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Pox. Got 2 computers linked very neatly so that I only need one monitor, keyboard and mouse. One powerful computer - other not so. Main computer suddenly gave up the ghost. Ok, fair enough lets check the power first. Mmmm - light showing on mainboard but a funny crackle when I switch the power on. Disconnect everything and still the same = power supply. Use the low powered computer to log onto website and carry out some work etc. Get and itch to play DAOC. Logs on but the low spec computer ain't upto the job. Takes out powersupply from low spec and shoves it in high spec. Great working a treat. Logs into game and bang - power supply gives up. Checked the internal fuse and it had blown. Resoldering a new one in don't fix it. Something is drawing a huge number of watts. How can I check on which component is doing this? I suspect the hard-drive.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Was the HDD your problem, then? If not just feel everything in yoru case and if something is hotter than you think it should be look into it and find out its regualr operating temps and such.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure yet. I had 2 hard drives in the main computer. Both Seagate Barracudas running at 7200 rpm. Virtually silent drives but lately I thought I could hear one hard drive becoming a little noisier. I have taken out the backup hard drive with all my files on and shoved it in the lower spec computer now. Everything is fine so it can't be that drive. In the meantime I have installed the HD monitoring software. Also I just took delivery of 2 more powersupplies. I will put the other main drive in the lower spec computer soon as a slave and keep an eye on the temp. I won't have much time before the damn power supply gives in. Still even if it does blow at least I will know then. Ain't much else it could be bar for maybe the CD-Rom - only the motherboard and processor left after that but isolating the problem there could be time consuming.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
A harddrive typically draws something like 10-15 watts, shouldnt really be what pushes it over the limit. Have you checked the wall sockets etc?

Also, while I admit its a long shot, but if your pc is awfully dusty you might experience some problems when the dust covers the heatsinks in the PSU, thus making it die after a while when it gets hot.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Well dust might well be causing problems. Going to strip the computer down and double check everthing whilst giving all the components a good clean. Ain't touched it for possibly 2 years or more. I did notice that the powersupplies got very hot very quickly so something is drawing more power than it should. Felt the processor cooler and that wasn't hot at all. Still looking to be the hard drive I think as that component is in constant use. Been giving it a bit offa bashing too lately with running a home server on it along with games and god knows what else. Anyways will see tomorrow when I start messing about with stuff.

Me site.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Tried using different internal connectors? Possibly a broken rail in the PSU, tho that seems fairly unlikely. Can occur if you like... eum... dunno the english word for it but like... connect everything via multiconnectors on one original connector. Too much load on one rail aint good.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Adrias, a properly functioning HDD uses 10-15 W, a malfunctioning HDD that has to spin up too much or where the motor is on the blink may well have to draw rather a lot more and specifically draw too much current because of dodgy contacts andshorts interally. If you hoover will do it, put it on blow and give the case and all parts a re good doing over, although that wont the HDD, its worth it just to give yourself a coughing fit :)

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Speedfan can utilise your HDD's SMART capabilities to check health, as well as monitor your HDD temperatures. No reg. required with this, so give it a go.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Electrical devices do not draw watts. They consume power (measured in watts).

They draw current, which is not the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom