Tomorrow!

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I live on the edge of a remote Norfolk village, right at the end of a lane. I love it where I live. I barely ever hear a car. The air is clean and clear. I can walk my dog around fields and footpaths from my doorstep.

I knew when we moved here that the Broadband was shit. I was comforted by the fact that a firm called WiSpire, which installs WiFi internet from church towers in Norfolk, were mere months away from installing on the church which we can see across the field. This was confirmed to me in an email before we moved in.

That was four years ago...

Since then we've managed on a sub 1meg connection which drops every time the phone rings. I've barely played an online game, downloads are a nightmare. If one person watches youtube, no one else can even check their emails. My daughter loves to watch youtube.

Tomorrow we get hooked up to the Wispire, it arived a couple of weeks ago. 10meg unlimited use connection for £22 a month.

It's not much compared to you city folk I know, but it'll mean iplayer, Amazon and netflix will all become possible. I won't need to set a windows update to download overnight, or wait 4 days for a new game to download over Steam.

I can get back online gaming. Anyone play DCS btw? I'm learning it, but would love to get online with it.

I'm bursting with excitement like a kid at Christmas, I had to share.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I was on 1mb a couple of years ago, feel your pain. Always nice when it upgrades! :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
...we've managed on a sub 1meg connection which drops every time the phone rings.
This is me right now but there's an upgrade in the pipeline over the next month or so. I've gone through countless microfilters before deciding that the line was just that shit that it sometimes couldn't support the phone and internet both being in use at the same time. I find especially with Windows updates, it tries so hard to download it actually manages to disconnect the internet connection. I love living here but fucking hell the internet is infuriating at times.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Early next year I get upgraded to 200MB :)
Im already on 200MB. And regularly get that much when i dl games from legit sites or other things from the high seas.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I imagined that this thread would turn into a willy waving one :)

I have that same feeling that I had when I went from ISDN to ADSL. I was playing a lot of CS and BF1942 at the time and basically everyone else was on cable or ADSL. It had been a looong wait. I can't wait to get gaming online again. I just hope nothing ballses it up tomorrow. In hindsight, starting this thread might have been a mistake...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I imagined that this thread would turn into a willy waving one :)

I have that same feeling that I had when I went from ISDN to ADSL. I was playing a lot of CS and BF1942 at the time and basically everyone else was on cable or ADSL. It had been a looong wait. I can't wait to get gaming online again. I just hope nothing ballses it up tomorrow. In hindsight, starting this thread might have been a mistake...

So you'll be a LPB rather than a HPB? Still a B though :D

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Being in a city centre isn't always that much better than the country-side tbh.

I have no access to cable since the local council will not authorize any company to dig up the roads around me, they are too busy and would cause traffic chaos.

I live so close to the exchange my phone line goes *directly* to it. Great you might think but that means no local junction box which means no BT fibre access.

I'm lucky to get a few Mbit.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Our entire infrastructure is a shambles when it comes to broadband.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I hope you don"t watch pron on that church tower link.
They actually assured the clergy that wouldn't happen on 3/4G..oh really?

gohan

FH is my second home
So you'll be a LPB rather than a HPB? Still a B though :D
LOL old skool. I remember the legit arguments and people getting kicked off servers for being LPB

SilverHood

FH is my second home
LOL old skool. I remember the legit arguments and people getting kicked off servers for being LPB

Back when ADSL was first rolled out by BT, I would have a ping of 8-10 to the jolt.co.uk servers. Even though my connection is 100 times faster, I'll be lucky to get below 50 these days.

gohan

FH is my second home
Back when ADSL was first rolled out by BT, I would have a ping of 8-10 to the jolt.co.uk servers. Even though my connection is 100 times faster, I'll be lucky to get below 50 these days.
So true. my and my brother shared a 512k connection and both had pings in the teens. Now I share a 100mb connection and get around 35-50..... I call shenanigans

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Just phoned, not coming today now. Now I have to take tomorrow off too. I'm a little riled.

Vae

Resident Freddy
...and we never hear from Gumbo again as the engineer proceeds to screw up his existing connection as well!

Gumbo

FH is my second home
81156101-589PlcoZ.png

Woohoo!

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I realize this is going to be disliked, but damn, 2016 and 10 Mbits. I feel like this is some alternate reality.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
The price you pay for being able to see a tree that's older than a year and isn't covered in cans and man wee....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The price you pay for being able to see a tree that's older than a year and isn't covered in cans and man wee....

Yup. I am very lucky to have 80mb where I live but I wouldn't give it up for the world. Close enough to civilisation for work and shit but very rural. We had a cow in the road the other week.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Some numpty crashed into to BT box at the end of my road on Tuesday night. It took out the phone and broadband to me and most of the people in my rd and the surrounding ones. They put in a new box yesterday and the phone is working, but I'm gonna have no fibre/broadband till Sunday apparently!!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Some numpty crashed into to BT box at the end of my road on Tuesday night. It took out the phone and broadband to me and most of the people in my rd and the surrounding ones. They put in a new box yesterday and the phone is working, but I'm gonna have no fibre/broadband till Sunday apparently!!
Poor you. :(

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Grats to Gumbo for stepping up from 56k.

On a sidenote - new supplier with new apartment. Specced 100/100 mbit. Several speed-tests suggests 120 mbit /900 mbit. What the hell. It couldn't have been the other way around?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom