SPAM Tomorrow i buy my last pack of Benson and Hedges

Punishment

Resident Freddy
So i have smoked pretty much since i was 15 and lately i have noticed im getting out of shape and when i do have a smoke when im in a good mood/feeling well i get this sick feeling afterwards like im being drained of all life and energy.

Noticed i only have one fag left in the box so tomorrow i will buy my last box and go cold turkey.

It's the kind of thing that no third party (even ex smokers) can get you to do, it's a decision we all have to come to ourselves for our own reasons, here are mine.

1. I have started a new job and i really like it (Salesman in a Furniture and Carpet depot in Galway) it's not rocket science but the lads im working for are really good fellas and i really feel im making a valuable contribution while enjoying myself and i will need all the energy i can get for the more physical aspects of the job.
2. Im going to use the money i save on the extra tax/fuel costs of upgrading my poor old 1.4 Skoda Octavia for a Mark 5 Golf GTi later on in the summer.
3. My family unfortunately has a bad history on my dad's side with cancer and he lost his da when he was in his early 50's (my dad's current age and he is a very active man and full of life and i really regret not getting to meet him) also watching my granny battle with cancer almost 10 years ago now was a terrible thing to see.

So thats it really, i will post here every day with how im getting on for those that are interested.
smile.gif

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
After reading the title I was expecting to see something like "I'm switching to sovreign as they are cheaper" :p

On a serious note, good luck with it fella, it's not easy.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Best of efforts on it, though you should pick up another habbit to replace it, like mints or some such. Makes it easier.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I bought my last pouch of tobacco from a shop yesterday. £8.something for 25 grams... will be paying £7.00 for 50 grams from one of our drivers from now on, which will last me a week.

Up yours government!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Replace your fag breaks by popping outside and propositioning a man for anal sex.

Tilda

Brilliant news Punishment, do let us know how you get on!

I know people knock the NHS but it might be worth going to see your local GP surgery's "Stop smoking nurse" - they can hook you up with patches etc which really does make your life easier, trust me! You've got to be motivated to quit though!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Good luck mate.

Everz

FH is my second home
Good luck.. play alot of games to get the mind off ;D.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd say good luck m8 - but I don't think it's luck.

I also think it's the correct approach. The people I know who've successfully given up have decided to go cold turkey and have never had a single fag again.

Well done.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Why buy another box?

I should imagine it's a "begining of the end" kinda thing.
Addiction is very much a mental thing aswell as physical and you need to get into the mindset for it for the best chance of kicking it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, I'm kinda with Chilly. Why waste the cash and at the same time create the mental image of fags being something you need a warning to ditch.

Stop mid-fag. Throw the rest away. Never buy again.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My parents both chain-smoked. They quit when I was a toddler, cold turkey. Neither ever smoked again.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Horses for courses really. Some go cold turkey, some ween themselves off with patches and the like.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Never seen a success that wasn't cold turkey. The "weeners" all start up again.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Great to hear you are quitting! Just remember, you will fail at some point and smoke after hearing some terrible news, or if you get drunk at a party. Do not beat yourself up over that, just make sure you don't continue.

Also work out how much you spend a week and keep putting that into a jar. You can view how much you're saving :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Love how some people think they know how it's best to quit smoking, when they've never had one in their life :p

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
If your refering to me toht, I must inform you I've beaten 2 addictions in my quater century on the planet.
Having said that, I'm yet to kick the cigs, the 2 times I've tried failed, mainly due to the fact that deep down I didn't really WANT to, and that's one of the biggest parts of kicking addictions.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I'm with those questioning why you're buying just one more box.

You're not ready to quit, you're still in the 'just one more' mindset.

You're almost there though. You've got sound reasons. Good luck when you are ready. unless you don't buy that packet in the morning, in which case, good luck now!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If your refering to me toht, I must inform you I've beaten 2 addictions in my quater century on the planet.
Having said that, I'm yet to kick the cigs, the 2 times I've tried failed, mainly due to the fact that deep down I didn't really WANT to, and that's one of the biggest parts of kicking addictions.

Nah, more to those going "oh just quit" people you always get.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Brilliant news Punishment, do let us know how you get on!

I know people knock the NHS but it might be worth going to see your local GP surgery's "Stop smoking nurse" - they can hook you up with patches etc which really does make your life easier, trust me! You've got to be motivated to quit though!

Is it fuck. When our one wasn't cancelling appointments a couple of hours before they were due she was unable to prescribe. Easier to go cold turkey or buy the patches from the chemist.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Reason im buying one more box is so it's not just a knee jerk reaction that fail's.

I gave up smoking once before for 2 and a half years and i used this approach before too, instead of throwing my smokes away and going "I quit right meow" (Triumphant stance) it is best to continue smoking for a day or 2 while still in the mental place where you wan't to quit as each and every smoke after thatyou get to focus on the negatives which for me are.

1. After each smoke i feel tired/drained of energy/bloated compared to how i felt beforehand.
2. Suffer heartburns alot more/smell bad.
3. Also obviously the whole money factor (Just a bonus though really)

My mind is set and i trust myself but the whole point of buying 1 more box and this thread too actually is so that im making a commitment my mind will feel i also need to keep to rather than just having a random thought which can be easily dismissed.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I quit cigarettes in Jan 2004. Not had one since.

I do still get some nicotine though, obviously.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Great to hear it Jim and I hope it goes well. Tell Dave/the rest of the clan lads to get to fuck when they ask you out for one! (I miss clan)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Smartarses :)

I do still miss fags though sometimes. Had a big urge yesterday and today.

Then I remind myself that a) it won't taste as nice as what I normally smoke and b) if I smoke a fag it'll make me feel ill again, like your first ever smoke.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I tried to quit. Failed. Though like you I'm starting to get the point where it's a pain in the arse to roll one, then go outside to smoke it (DOn't smoke in the house or the car because of the girl-child)

I'm also starting to get less enjoyment out of it so when I've finished this pack of Baccy I'm going cold turkey too. Though I refuse to give up my Shisha (With Molasses, not tobacco)

Good luck matey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom