Tomb Raider

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Got this at the weekend but only just got the chance to play it.

Not that far in but so far it has been fantastic, ramped everything up to ultimate and I have to say it is probably the best looking game I have seen.

My only bugbear is the quick time events, at times they destroy the immersion somewhat.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah it's great, a really good reboot imo. I think, on the whole, Crysis 3 looks better but Tomb Raider looks very very nice and runs a shitload better. That said, I was expecting Crysis 3 to blow me away more than it did.

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
About 80% ish through now with plenty left to find...I don't usually go in for the find all the gumph stuff but some of it is great fun to find, puzzles in themselves. The gun play is also very good, something I don't usually like in 3rd person games.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Finished it, fantastic stuff.

It's not massively long and there probably isn't a great deal of replay value in it but for the 15 hours I played it, it was outstanding.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Finished it, fantastic stuff.

It's not massively long and there probably isn't a great deal of replay value in it but for the 15 hours I played it, it was outstanding.

Sometimes games don't have to be long if it's good as sometimes it can outstay it's welcome.

Will pick this up soon.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Loved the feel when you get around to the first campfire, the atmosphere, sound, everything. Somewhat nostalgic, homegrown feel. Superb game, atmosphere wise. Gameplay mechanics; lighting each and every object on fire to advance further. The whole thing is based on setting things on fire.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've just finished it (the story, anyway). I would've preferred if the percent complete bit displayed in the saves was the % of the story rather than the % of everything. I finished with 65%.

That said, what a really very good game. The set pieces were all excellent, everything felt believable, the climbing was well-done, the camera was great (I can usually always find fault with cameras in 3rd person games), maybe more puzzles would've been good but the ones that are there were all good (although mostly very easy). The environments were immense - the first one that blew me away was (spoilers I guess)
the shanty town next to the palace and then the beach and all the climbing above it and then the final big climb up to the end.
Overall, really enjoyed it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My favourite part was
The ship wreck coast, it really felt like there was massive ships wrecked there, the WW2 destroyer in the background and whatnot.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yup, that's what I was referring to as the
beach. The series of zip-lines and everything that you had to fall down to get down there (I think when you were getting down there asap to help Jonah and Reyes) gave a real sense of scale. Just before that part (iirc), you have to get up to the research building. You start on the beach and first you climb up the inside of a lift shaft and then it's a mahoosive sequence of climbing and rope-bridging all the way up. It's all very easy (you can see the "axe-able" rock from a mile away) but when you finally get up there and turn back around and see exactly what path you took (right back down to where you left Jonah sitting at the bottom), it's all very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread